ADVERTISEMENT

Dedication ceremony for the new facility

And here we are again insulting and acting superior towards those who actually see the value of a basic and critical design element with tangible benefits. Again, what downside would have there been if daylighting was incorporated?

Literally every other new indoor athletic training facility on campus planned for or being done within the last ten years has daylighting (new cheer indoor facility, indoor football facility, indoor gymnastics, swimming). You are telling me every other sports program on campus and all other new DI indoor wrestling training facilities being completed on the campuses of our competition are just wrong?

I think it is this level of stubbornness and know it all attitude that is most frustrating because if we just accept all things Iowa blindly, a level of further stagnation and general apathy is inevitable.

Iowa was and should be the benchmark of college wrestling and holding the program to the highest standards I don’t believe is a bad thing if the goal is to get back on top. Seeing missed opportunities when the new facility was intended to be a huge boost and way to push ahead of other programs, is just disappointing.

The new facility is still very successful, but can we at least be honest and objective and agree the decision to omit daylight was a miss?

Pretending otherwise is just simply ignoring facts and data and modern precedents the new facility will be compared to that set the bar for what programs and recruits expect from the best.
Right on cue. After these last posts, I was thinking to myself..."Gabe is going to reply in 5..4..3.." Boom - there it is!

And here we are again insulting and acting superior towards those who actually see the value of a basic and critical design element with tangible benefits. Again, what downside would have there been if daylighting was incorporated?

Literally every other new indoor athletic training facility on campus planned for or being done within the last ten years has daylighting (new cheer indoor facility, indoor football facility, indoor gymnastics, swimming). You are telling me every other sports program on campus and all other new DI indoor wrestling training facilities being completed on the campuses of our competition are just wrong?

I think it is this level of stubbornness and know it all attitude that is most frustrating because if we just accept all things Iowa blindly, a level of further stagnation and general apathy is inevitable.

Iowa was and should be the benchmark of college wrestling and holding the program to the highest standards I don’t believe is a bad thing if the goal is to get back on top. Seeing missed opportunities when the new facility was intended to be a huge boost and way to push ahead of other programs, is just disappointing.

The new facility is still very successful, but can we at least be honest and objective and agree the decision to omit daylight was a miss?

Pretending otherwise is just simply ignoring facts and data and modern precedents the new facility will be compared to that set the bar for what programs and recruits expect from the best.
Cry me a F'N window

First of all, congratulations on the dedication of a fantastic faculty - very nice!

However, it's not just about windows per se, its that the room looks so dark, dreary, and dungeon like. Penn State's room has no windows but it is very bright. Some of the other new wrestling rooms (and football facilities) I've seen look brighter too, whether it's natural light or just brighter because of better lighting or better colors. Lighting and design of a space impacts performance and mood, research shows that. Is it a major issue....no. Is it still a fantastic facility? Yes! But lets not pretend they didn't miss the mark on the lighting in the room. We are not looking for windows to look out on the prairie, just light that elevates mood and performance

BTW, if light and color have no impact on mood or performance, why are the visiting teams locker rooms painted pink at the Hawkeye football stadium?
I was in there when nothing was going on and it was not dark. Even when all the lights weren't on.

Reactions: Hawkgma
I was in there when nothing was going on and it was not dark. Even when all the lights weren't on.
You guys aren’t really understanding the concept of positive benefits from natural light, imo. But I live in the PNW and we see a lot of depression brought on by lack of sunlight in the winter months. It’s not a matter of being able to see well, rather a concept that natural light has positive psychological benefits. New buildings out here tend to have a lot of glass and natural light with Seasonal Affective Disorder in mind.

The subject now is the brightness of the new facility, which is plenty bright, not where the light is originating from.

The two are interconnected and natural daylight can replace and/or supplement artificial light and save money and energy and also provide the light with color temperature that humans respond to with associated and quantifiable benefits. Literally all gain and no downside and just basic design.

Reactions: mhlarch
The two are interconnected and natural daylight can replace and/or supplement artificial light and save money and energy and also provide the light with color temperature that humans respond to with associated and quantifiable benefits. Literally all gain and no downside and just basic design.

They can be. They also don't have to be. We are really just talking about the amount of light. People jumped to conclusions based on an unfinished facility because they are ninnies incapable of rational thought.

On this particular issue, I'm not sure people are just hating for the sake of hating, and those suggesting it would be best to strive for a design rooted in facts and data seem to be quite rational.

Those whose only rebuttal has been that 1) my wrestling room didn’t have windows so the best in the world facility doesn’t need them or 2) a basic design element that is critical for human health and performance is for ninnies may be slightly irrational on this particular subject, in my opinion.

If there was anything to gain or a legitimate reason to leave out (like being on the interior of a building where it just isn’t feasible), it may have some validity and justification, but choosing to purposefully leave out a basic and expected part of successfully designed facilities of this type is just questionable at best. It’d be similar to if the dumpster enclosure, grease interceptor and exhaust louvers were next to the front entry. You just don’t do for many reasons and if you do, it definitely begs questioning the logic.

Reactions: mhlarch

While I agree with you, you’re starting to look like a

Hungry Dog GIF by Scooby-Doo

On this particular issue, I'm not sure people are just hating for the sake of hating, and those suggesting it would be best to strive for a design rooted in facts and data seem to be quite rational.

Those whose only rebuttal has been that 1) my wrestling room didn’t have windows so the best in the world facility doesn’t need them or 2) a basic design element that is critical for human health and performance is for ninnies may be slightly irrational on this particular subject, in my opinion.

If there was anything to gain or a legitimate reason to leave out (like being on the interior of a building where it just isn’t feasible), it may have some validity and justification, but choosing to purposefully leave out a basic and expected part of successfully designed facilities of this type is just questionable at best. It’d be similar to if the dumpster enclosure, grease interceptor and exhaust louvers were next to the front entry. You just don’t do for many reasons and if you do, it definitely begs questioning the logic.

Dammit, dude. We are all over the windows thing. This is every point you've ever made 20 other times, just repackaged. It's a mixed bag of good points and #TTH (at best).

We are now talking about how well it is lit despite the claims of imbeciles. Focus.

Dammit, dude. We are all over the windows thing. This is every point you've ever made 20 other times, just repackaged. It's a mixed bag of good points and #TTH (at best).

We are now talking about how well it is lit despite the claims of imbeciles. Focus.
Noted. Regarding color palette and lighting, I think they did a good job. Very clean, slightly edgy and the borrowed lights into adjacent spaces helps to visually open the space and make up for the lack of windows some.

The concrete walls are practical and compatible with the rest of Carver but wish there was a little more warmer materials or color to offset the coldness of the concrete above the mats. That’s where windows would really help to warm up the overall palette and offset the vast amount of concrete that visually dominates a bit too much for some, but that ship sailed obviously so won't belabor any further.

• Haha
Reactions: SPOONER
Noted. Regarding color palette and lighting, I think they did a good job. Very clean, slightly edgy and the borrowed lights into adjacent spaces helps to visually open the space and make up for the lack of windows some.

The concrete walls are practical and compatible with the rest of Carver but wish there was a little more warmer materials or color to offset the coldness of the concrete above the mats. That’s where windows would really help to warm up the overall palette and offset the vast amount of concrete that visually dominates a bit too much for some, but that ship sailed obviously so won't belabor any further.

Never change. Ever.

Reactions: Gabe582
Fake LED lights cause seasonal depression. They better come up with a new pill to mask that madness!

@Gabe582 is to the new Iowa wrestling facility's lack of windows as @is_there_vodka_in_heaven was to ADHD medication use by athletes.

@Gabe582 is to new Iowa wrestling facility's lack of windows as @MSU158 is to the importance of top 10 PFP recruits.

@Gabe582 is to new Iowa wrestling facility's lack of windows as @The Golden Snitch is to MAGA talking points.

Any others?
Just offering one man’s opinion and trying to interject some altering viewpoints and direct experience that may further inform the subject when it was brought up.

If you notice it is those adamant that daylight should never be included in a wrestling facility that continue to bring the topic up and then complain when any altering viewpoints are stated.

Cheers to you though fellow Cesspoolian, and I think we both can be confident the Hawks will be ok and this particular issue isn’t what will define or be the most important factor in the future success of the program.

From this lifelong Hawk fan, I just want to see them back on top and striving to capitalize on every new endeavor they undertake to the max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT