ADVERTISEMENT

Dedication ceremony for the new facility

Oh Spooner, you crack me up. Sorry to disappoint but no boyfriend (but a smoking hot Wife. no pics but I do have some of your mom if you wanna buy some ;).

You touch on a great point in that the new facility should be designed to what’s going to appeal to the target audience and not one person’s opinion or preferences.

I think we can safely say that natural daylight is generally felt to be a positive in a space where appropriate and when the opportunity is there most would lean towards incorporating it versus purposefully, omitting it.

I think we’ve beat the horse dead and dug back up and beat enough so I think we should focus on the opening of an incredible facility and all get behind the final results, however we got there.
Real wrestlers could give a rats ass about natural daylight. The sun goes down pretty early in the winter. I’ve wrestled in and been apart of many wrestling programs and not a one of them had these pretty little windows in them. Get over it dweeb!

And respectfully, those who are advocating for no natural light in the premiere space of the facility in the worlds greatest wrestling room simply aren’t current with today’s design standards and what other programs are doing in their new facilities that we are competing against.

In previous decades, natural daylight in wrestling rooms was not as prevalent, but it’s an absolute critical component to the top wrestling facilities being done today.

The rooms I designed in the past, it was acceptable to omit natural light, but in today’s arms race, if you are building a new facility without incorporating natural daylight in the wrestling room, it is considered very shortsighted and a dated mentality that will get more dated as time goes on.

The current room I’m designing for one of the more accomplished wrestlers in the world has windows, and it’s a private club with modest budget and not even a division one top wrestling program.

There are obviously varying opinions on the matter, but I’m of the mindset that you should probably err on the side of what will make you most competitive and relevant and in line with current facilities.

Are big new wrestling training facilities going up around the country on the reg or something? That's how you make it sound. I find it hilarious that PSU, Iowa, and Okie State have dominated college wrestling the last 30 years and you won't find a single window in their wrestling rooms, yet suddenly it is mission critical to winning championships.

That said, you have a hot wife so I like you a lot.

Are big new wrestling training facilities going up around the country on the reg or something? That's how you make it sound. I find it hilarious that PSU, Iowa, and Okie State have dominated college wrestling the last 30 years and you won't find a single window in their wrestling rooms, yet suddenly it is mission critical to winning championships.

Wrestling facilities are a bit of a niche market, but there are quite a few going up. You are correct though It’s not like these are built every couple months and the ones that are built usually last for decades so if you were going to do one, you might as well do it right and not make concessions that you don’t have to on elements that are becoming standard in new facilities.

If you tour any division I facility for a top athletic program there are elements that are not critical to the basic function all around, but in today’s era, it is an arms race and the top recruits are looking for things that they may not have been prioritizing in previous decades.

Regarding this particular design element, there are tangible and quantifiable benefits, which is one of the reasons it’s being incorporated in pretty much every new facility in division I athletics other than Iowa.

Last edited:
Wrestling facilities are a bit of a niche market, but there are quite a few going up. You are correct though It’s not like these are built every couple months and the ones that are built usually last for decades so if you were going to do one, you might as well do it right and not make concessions that you don’t have to on elements that are becoming standard in new facilities.

If you tour any division I facility for a top athletic program there are elements that are not critical to the basic function all around, but in today’s era, it is an arms race and the top recruits are looking for things that they may not have been prioritizing in previous decades.

Regarding this particular design element, there are tangible and quantifiable benefits, which is one of the reasons it’s being incorporated in pretty much every new facility in division I athletics other than Iowa.
I thought you said earlier you were done beating the dead horse??

I was asked questions and answered those. I think if you look back, you’ll find the vast majority of times the subject has been breached, It has been initiated by anti-daylight folks who continue to declare as fact that nobody wants windows when that contradicts what almost every new facility is proceeding with for many reasons which I’ve already stated, but if interested, feel free to reach out directly, and I can expand on the studies and quantifiable metrics that validate such a position.

I totally agree, though the horses dead, and time for all parties to move on including the anti-daylight folks continue bringing it up and outwardly mocking individuals stating opinions that align with current design standards and trends.

Reactions: el dub
I was asked questions and answered those. I think if you look back, you’ll find the vast majority of times the subject has been breached, It has been initiated by anti-daylight folks who continue to declare as fact that nobody wants windows when that contradicts what almost every new facility is proceeding with for many reasons which I’ve already stated, but if interested, feel free to reach out directly, and I can expand on the studies and quantifiable metrics that validate such a position.

I totally agree, though the horses dead, and time for all parties to move on including the anti-daylight folks continue bringing it up and outwardly mocking individuals stating opinions that align with current design standards and trends.
It’s the new normal.

Reactions: Gabe582
I was at the ceremony and tour yesterday. It had a pretty good turnout as I would say at least half of the crowd didn’t have a seat.

The speeches were as you would expect from the ADs and the President. And Tom was Tom – you never know what you’ll get or what he means sometimes. Nyla was a good choice for student-athlete.

I was surprised that – unless I missed it – they didn’t mention much about the HWC. Also thought they would take advantage of dropping Spencer’s name.

I haven’t toured other schools with good wrestling facilities lately, so I have nothing to compare it to. The locker rooms and lounges were decent. Both head coaches have a nice office with a balcony that overlooks the mat area. The map setup was nice (cause its all about the mats) – no poles. I thought they had the spectator area centered nicely to see all the action. A lot of that you can see in the video jrod and AF posted.

I would have liked to have walked the tunnel to Carver, but I didn’t notice they had that open.

A few current Iowa mens and womens wrestlers were there, as well as a few HWC members and coaches. I didn’t ever see Terry or Clarissa.

I don’t know that there was a lot of money spent on bells and whistles that weren’t necessarily needed, so it wasn’t overly flashy IMO – just solid. Obviously much better than the old areas.

You only wrestled in the winter?
Me too, when I was in elementary school.
I actually got 10 times the freco matches as I did flokstyle. I did not wrestle in elementary school. 7th-12th and 4 years of college. Coaching now. We have practices year round. Only take 2 weeks off after fargo all year.

I thought you said earlier you were done beating the dead horse??

Shut up he has a hot wife.

And not a single benefit makes someone a better wrestler.

Okiest has windows.

Reactions: SPOONER and Gabe582
Shut up he has a hot wife.

And not a single benefit makes someone a better wrestler.
You’re right. But there are a TON of tiny details that go into the creation of a successful program. None make a difference individually, maybe but they add up. The devil is in the details.

Puff-puff, pass….

You’re right. But there are a TON of tiny details that go into the creation of a successful program. None make a difference individually, maybe but they add up. The devil is in the details.

Puff-puff, pass….
I think you were spot on and this is exactly what I’m trying to say.

Any singular variable is not likely going to move the needle drastically but when you add them all up, it could have a profound impact.

Reality is Penn State and other programs have some innate advantages that Iowa needs to make up ground in and part of that is executing to the highest levels in all areas that we can control to best position ourselves to be successful against our competition.

Oh Spooner, you crack me up. Sorry to disappoint but no boyfriend (but a smoking hot Wife. no pics but I do have some of your mom if you wanna buy some ;).

You touch on a great point in that the new facility should be designed to what’s going to appeal to the target audience and not one person’s opinion or preferences.

I think we can safely say that natural daylight is generally felt to be a positive in a space where appropriate and when the opportunity is there most would lean towards incorporating it versus purposefully, omitting it.

I think we’ve beat the horse dead and dug back up and beat enough so I think we should focus on the opening of an incredible facility and all get behind the final results, however we got there.
So we realize pics are off the table, but can you at least share her name so we can look her up on social media? Yeah know, do some research?

I think this is a fair compromise for blatantly breaking the rules.

• Haha
Reactions: Gabe582 and el dub
So we realize pics are off the table, but can you at least share her name so we can look her up on social media? Yeah know, do some research?

I think this is a fair compromise for blatantly breaking the rules.
You guys crack me up. I’m a willing participant but don’t think she has near enough vaccinations to handle being exposed to all that the cesspool entails.

She has been mistaken for kristin cavallari multiple times while we’ve been out though if that gets you in the ballpark.

I definitely outkicked my coverage and often times wonder what she’s doing with a dweeb like me, but I won’t complain…

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
You guys crack me up. I’m a willing participant but don’t think she has near enough vaccinations to handle being exposed to all that the cesspool entails.

She has been mistaken for kristin cavallari multiple times while we’ve been out though if that gets you in the ballpark.

I definitely outkicked my coverage and often times wonder what she’s doing with a dweeb like me, but I won’t complain…
She's with you because of your great, big, huge, monster... brain!

• Haha
Reactions: el dub and Gabe582

comedy central GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

• Haha
1% improvement in recruiting…coming before completion due to anticipation. Interesting that someone did a study on this topic.

Last edited:
If your commenting about no windows, then you obviously have ZERO idea or clue about 90% of the wrestling rooms in America. There are not many wrestling rooms that have windows. I bet Penn State fans aren't complaining about no windows in their room.
First of all, congratulations on the dedication of a fantastic faculty - very nice!

However, it's not just about windows per se, its that the room looks so dark, dreary, and dungeon like. Penn State's room has no windows but it is very bright. Some of the other new wrestling rooms (and football facilities) I've seen look brighter too, whether it's natural light or just brighter because of better lighting or better colors. Lighting and design of a space impacts performance and mood, research shows that. Is it a major issue....no. Is it still a fantastic facility? Yes! But lets not pretend they didn't miss the mark on the lighting in the room. We are not looking for windows to look out on the prairie, just light that elevates mood and performance

BTW, if light and color have no impact on mood or performance, why are the visiting teams locker rooms painted pink at the Hawkeye football stadium?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe582
First of all, congratulations on the dedication of a fantastic faculty - very nice!

However, it's not just about windows per se, its that the room looks so dark, dreary, and dungeon like. Penn State's room has no windows but it is very bright. Some of the other new wrestling rooms (and football facilities) I've seen look brighter too, whether it's natural light or just brighter because of better lighting or better colors. Lighting and design of a space impacts performance and mood, research shows that. Is it a major issue....no. Is it still a fantastic facility? Yes! But lets not pretend they didn't miss the mark on the lighting in the room. We are not looking for windows to look out on the prairie, just light that elevates mood and performance

BTW, if light and color have no impact on mood or performance, why are the visiting teams locker rooms painted pink at the Hawkeye football stadium?
I get the feeling a lot of people that live in HOA's post here.

People really need to take another(first???) look at the final product. May change your mind on all the dark, dreary dungeon talk.

GPvhHh_WIAECchV

GPvhHh9WsAASlWe

GPvhHh-XMAA_Opa

Last edited:
People really need to take another(first???) look at the final product. May change your mind on all the dark, dreary dungeon talk.

GPvhHh_WIAECchV

GPvhHh9WsAASlWe

GPvhHh-XMAA_Opa

No one bothers. They cling to anything that will be negative. Even construction update pics. lol

There isn't enough negative things going on with the program--they just search for more. Complete dork town.

And here we are again insulting and acting superior towards those who actually see the value of a basic and critical design element with tangible benefits. Again, what downside would have there been if daylighting was incorporated?

Literally every other new indoor athletic training facility on campus planned for or being done within the last ten years has daylighting (new cheer indoor facility, indoor football facility, indoor gymnastics, swimming). You are telling me every other sports program on campus and all other new DI indoor wrestling training facilities being completed on the campuses of our competition are just wrong?

I think it is this level of stubbornness and know it all attitude that is most frustrating because if we just accept all things Iowa blindly, a level of further stagnation and general apathy is inevitable.

Iowa was and should be the benchmark of college wrestling and holding the program to the highest standards I don’t believe is a bad thing if the goal is to get back on top. Seeing missed opportunities when the new facility was intended to be a huge boost and way to push ahead of other programs, is just disappointing.

The new facility is still very successful, but can we at least be honest and objective and agree the decision to omit daylight was a miss?

Pretending otherwise is just simply ignoring facts and data and modern precedents the new facility will be compared to that set the bar for what programs and recruits expect from the best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT