ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders is remaking Colorado by getting rid of nearly everyone

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Deion Sanders began his Colorado tenure by telling his new players he wanted most of them gone.
“Those of you that we don’t run off, we’re going to try to make you quit,” Sanders said at his first team meeting in December after coming over from Jackson State. “That’s what our season is going to look like. I want ones that don’t want to quit, that want to be here, who want to work, who want to win. … I don’t want to get in the game and then find out I’ve got Jane, when all offseason I had Tarzan.”

“I’m coming,” Sanders continued. “And when I get here, it’s going to be change. So I want you all to get ready to go ahead and jump in that [transfer] portal and do whatever you’re going to get.”

Sanders has delivered on that promise. Ten Colorado players entered the transfer portal immediately after the school hired Sanders on Dec. 3, but that was just a taste of the overhaul that was coming. On Monday, two days after the Buffaloes’ spring game attracted nearly 50,000 fans despite cold and snowy conditions, the exodus peaked when a whopping 18 players entered the transfer portal in the spring window, which opened April 15.

ADVERTISING

Among the departures was wide receiver Montana Lemonious-Craig, Colorado’s leader in receptions and receiving yards in 2022 who had a 98-yard touchdown catch in the spring game. Running back Deion Smith, the Buffaloes’ leading rusher, also announced he was leaving, as did safety Tyrin Taylor, who started seven games last season.
All told, 46 of the 83 scholarship players on Colorado’s roster at the start of the 2022 season have entered the transfer portal, with 41 of them leaving after Sanders’s arrival. According to the Athletic’s Max Olson, no other Power Five conference team has seen more than 29 players leave in this transfer cycle.
After adding together the transfers and the players from last season who exhausted their eligibility, only 20 scholarship players who were on the Buffaloes’ roster at the start of last season remain on the team. All 10 scholarship wide receivers from 2022 are gone, and only one player remains at each position among Colorado’s 2022 quarterbacks, running backs, cornerbacks and safeties.

“I didn’t kick them out. They walked out,” Sanders said after Saturday’s spring game. “Anytime someone quits a few days before the spring game, that should tell you a lot. God bless them, though. The thing about it is I have no disdain or whatever. If they called me to speak on their behalf for a coach, I would do so. I’m not going to lie, but I would do so. So, God bless them.

“We don’t look behind us, man. We look ahead.”
Looking back offers one reason for Sanders’s roster purge. Colorado went 1-11 last season under coaches Karl Dorrell (0-5) and Mike Sanford (1-6), with its only win coming in overtime against a California team that finished 4-8. The Buffaloes were the lowest-ranked Power Five conference team in terms of SP+, a measure of overall efficiency, finishing the 2022 season 124th out of 131 Football Bowl Subdivision teams. A powerhouse in the 1990s and early 21st century — Colorado won the 1990 national title — the Buffaloes have had only one winning season over the past 17 years and haven’t won a bowl game since 2004.
Sanders is using the transfer portal in an attempt to bludgeon away that calamitous recent history. According to 247 Sports, Colorado has brought in 29 transfers so far and has the No. 1 transfer class in the country. Quarterback Shedeur Sanders, Deion’s son, and wide receiver-cornerback Travis Hunter have joined the coach after starting their college careers with him at Jackson State. Hunter was the nation’s No. 1 prospect out of high school in the Class of 2022, and Shedeur Sanders was a four-star recruit the previous year. Linebacker Demouy Kennedy, the nation’s No. 3 inside linebacker prospect in the high school Class of 2020, also has transferred to Colorado from Alabama.

Throw in a recruiting class that 247 ranks 21st nationally and includes Cormani McClain, the nation’s top cornerback prospect who is seen as the best defensive prospect ever to sign with the Buffaloes, and you have the makings of an immediate turnaround.
“I’m a change agent,” Sanders said Saturday. “And I’ll be darned, anything I touch, it has no other possibilities but to change. Because that’s what we do.”

Reactions: Flie and desihawk
E_hRL2IWUAUDZ36.jpg

Prime Time is the new Calipari. We shall see if he has success with it.
I suspect Prime will recruit as many HS kids as possible, once he shows he can win. It's easier to create good habits than break bad habits. He'll do what other coaches are doing and use the portal to fix immediate needs. The portal is where he has to start this year.

Why would he do that if he can upgrade across-the-board? Some of you guys might not have seen Colorado play last year. They might have been the worst football team I have ever seen.
I mean i get it all, but in your post you did forget a third option. That if he has bad players he could coach em instead of just trying to get a bunch of new ones.

I just like that he had a wideout with the last name "Lemonious-Craig". Whenever I see something like "Lemonious," which I assume means something along the lines of "of or having the quality of a lemon", I can't help but think back to elementary school when we were learning vocabulary and parts of speech. Invariably, there would be some kid who either was too dumb (or smart, depending on your perspective) or hadn't done his homework, and would be asked to use an adjectival vocabulary word in a sentence, and his sentence would be something like "The boy was lemonious." Which of course is grammatically correct, but gave no insight as to whether he knew the word's meaning.

I mean i get it all, but in your post you did forget a third option. That if he has bad players he could coach em instead of just trying to get a bunch of new ones.

I think his strategy is to get rid of the ones who don't have the attitude that will allow themselves to be coached into winners.

What should he have done here? They went 1-11 last year. Should he keep all those players and not make any changes? I don’t get it.
It's unfortunate that many players will be relocating elsewhere, but Deon did send strong signals early on that there will be a "house cleaning"...which if you only win 1 game the previous year...that means the roster was likely not very stout. I'd rather have someone "announce" their intentions in advance than tell everyone things will be just fine and then whack them.

It's unfortunate that many players will be relocating elsewhere, but Deon did send strong signals early on that there will be a "house cleaning"...which if you only win 1 game the previous year...that means the roster was likely not very stout. I'd rather have someone "announce" their intentions in advance than tell everyone things will be just fine and then whack them.
Agreed - under the new rules they have time to transfer and find a landing spot. I don’t have an issue with what he did. Was he a bit of a pompous ass in how he phrased it, yes. That’s Deion.

I don’t think it was ever contemplated by Deion or the AD or the boosters that he was being brought in to keep and coach the group of players from last season.

What should he have done here? They went 1-11 last year. Should he keep all those players and not make any changes? I don’t get it.
He could handle it with an ounce of tact.

The guy has a videographer come in, record him degrading the current team, releases the video, then talks shit about them as they leave.

Replace guys all you want, but there are ways to handle these types of things with just an ounce of respect.

He’s also refusing to share tape with other schools for these kids.

He’s an asshole, always has been.

Last edited:
I think his strategy is to get rid of the ones who don't have the attitude that will allow themselves to be coached into winners.
Conversely, there are probably some players that have decent talent/attitude but they do not like Deion or their new position coach. Therefore, they are transferring out to a school they think will be better for them. If I were a college athlete, I do not think I would like Deion's "style".

Reactions: cigaretteman
This was a short-sighted move by Colorado. It generated a lot of excitement, but at what cost?

Deion doesn’t exactly have a history of sticking around and building foundations. Colorado is his fifth job in the past 10 years and the five years he played for the Falcons is the longest he has ever stayed in one place.

I have no idea how long the Coach Prime Experiment is going to last in Boulder. Maybe two years, maybe five. Who knows. But what I do know is that when it ends, the Buffs will have a roster full of mercenaries who are there to play for Coach Prime and have zero loyalty to the University of Colorado.

When Sanders walks out that door, 50 players are going to be right behind him and then Colorado is right back where they started.

The guy has a videographer come in, record him degrading the current team, releases the video, then talks shit about them as they leave.

Replace guys all you want, but there are ways to handle these types of things with just an ounce of respect.

I also agree with this. ^^ There is no need to make things a spectacle, which he pretty much did. An honest, "behind closed doors" conversation about reality with the affected people is one thing...filming it and so forth comes across like reality TV.

But, as long as the transfer rules are this wide open, I doubt that Neon Deon will be the last one to take this route.

This was a short-sighted move by Colorado. It generated a lot of excitement, but at what cost?

Deion doesn’t exactly have a history of sticking around and building foundations. Colorado is his fifth job in the past 10 years and the five years he played for the Falcons is the longest he has ever stayed in one place.

I have no idea how long the Coach Prime Experiment is going to last in Boulder. Maybe two years, maybe five. Who knows. But what I do know is that when it ends, the Buffs will have a roster full of mercenaries who are there to play for Coach Prime and have zero loyalty to the University of Colorado.

When Sanders walks out that door, 50 players are going to be right behind him and then Colorado is right back where they started.
It's pretty easy to argue that the new world of NIL means there is a very small group of players who are truly loyal to any university.

If the Buffs can capitalize on the renewed interest with continued advancements in facilities, Deion's short term stay will be beneficial long-term. As a longtime season ticket holder at CU, I'll take any years (and renewed interest) he gives CU.

It's pretty easy to argue that the new world of NIL means there is a very small group of players who are truly loyal to any university.

If the Buffs can capitalize on the renewed interest with continued advancements in facilities, Deion's short term stay will be beneficial long-term. As a longtime season ticket holder at CU, I'll take any years (and renewed interest) he gives CU.
Not sure your thoughts, but CU football seemed very close to permanent irrelevancy. I think this move was one of the only ways to have a chance to save the program.

NIL and the portal have obviously changed the landscape of college sports. But I would still argue that there is value in establishing a foundation for the program. How can you build a culture and create continuity if guys come and go after a year or two?

The portal can play an important role in filling gaps in the depth chart, but I still believe the best way to build a football program is from the ground up.

Not sure your thoughts, but CU football seemed very close to permanent irrelevancy. I think this move was one of the only ways to have a chance to save the program.
Agreed. The program has been trending toward Vanderbilt-levels of irrelevance in football. And with the very possible conference move, it's a delicate time for the program. Increased visibility, with improved facilities, and lessened academic requirements hopefully equal long-term stability.

NIL and the portal have obviously changed the landscape of college sports. But I would still argue that there is value in establishing a foundation for the program. How can you build a culture and create continuity if guys come and go after a year or two?

The portal can play an important role in filling gaps in the depth chart, but I still believe the best way to build a football program is from the ground up.
No doubt would rather have a strong foundation to build from and a forever type of coach. But that's becoming more of a rarity these days. CU hasn't had a "foundation" for a few decades, so Deion's hire and tenure is not changing things on that front.

Yeah, it appears he’s been withholding film of the players leaving so they can’t sell themselves to other schools. Basically Sanders is booting guys off his team and preventing them from going anywhere else. That’s not how the portal is supposed to work.
Colorado will be very lucky to win 2 of their first six games. If they start the season 1 and 5, this experiment in personality over production will be over before it has a chance to get going.

You don't know jack about how this will go like everyone else. We are talking about one of the worst p5 programs of the last 20 years here who went from 2k at their spring game in 22 to over 47k despite bad weather and season ticket inquiries are through the roof...they are pretty ecstatic with how things are going so far per the local news reports. Regardless of how long he stays it would be hard to not have the program in a better place than it was

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT