ADVERTISEMENT

Democrat running for Arizona gov is latest to support no limits on abortion

Thanks for the reply. The issue that I have is that it’s easy to paint the odd Democrat as extreme when the mainstream Republicans position is the opposite extreme. Neither side seems to want to compromise. about anythjng really.
Thinking that the mainstream Dem position is no limit abortions is the same as thinking mainstream Republicans want all abortions banned. Yet it seems the Rublicans are offering a compromise at 15 weeks. which side doesn’t want a compromise? If 15 weeks isn’t acceptable to the Democrats, what is?

Reactions: Panic1769
Thinking that the mainstream Dem position is no limit abortions is the same as thinking mainstream Republicans want all abortions banned. Yet it seems the Rublicans are offering a compromise at 15 weeks. which side doesn’t want a compromise? If 15 weeks isn’t acceptable to the Democrats, what is?

24 weeks. I’ll also allow for 20 at most.

I can’t seriously buy the Graham proposal as a legitimate compromise tho, since just a month prior he had just said abortion should be a states issue. Then he proposes this 15 week national ban a month later?

Which is it, states issue or national? It’s also far from clear that even a majority of his caucus supports that.

Thats the actual headline of the article. Copy and paste.

What about it is a lie?
"I support leaving the decision between a woman and her doctor and leaving politicians entirely out of it,"

Hobbs said Sunday that late-term abortions are very rare and usually happen when something has gone wrong with a pregnancy. She made a similar argument to Murray's by saying the government should not have any role in limiting when an abortion may happen. "A doctor's not going to perform an abortion late in a pregnancy just because somebody decided they want one. That is ridiculous," Hobbs told Garrett. "Abortion is a very personal decision that belongs between a woman and her doctor."

You

You obviously didn’t listen to her statements. She said nothing about unlimited abortions. Don’t spread lies.

Oh knock it off you child.

I watched the video three times.

It's clear from her answer that she does not support a week limit.

Thinking that the mainstream Dem position is no limit abortions is the same as thinking mainstream Republicans want all abortions banned. Yet it seems the Rublicans are offering a compromise at 15 weeks.
NO.

They are NOT.

They are including RESTRICTIONS after 15 weeks, that are going to cause major problems for MANY women who end up with a miscarriage or difficult pregnancy.

NOT A COMPROMISE AT ALL.

Reactions: Ree4 and 3boysmom
Health care choices belong to mothers and have nothing to do with ignorant asshole like Northern and podunk lawmakers.

I don’t want people who think ectopic pregnancies can be relocated to be able to have a voice in medical decisions. I don’t want people who think a woman has to remove a tampon to pee to have a voice in medical decisions. I don’t want people who are not invested and involved in the outcome of a pregnancy to have a voice in those medical decisions.
There are already standards in place as it relates to pregnancy and healthcare. Can someone show me where doctors can deliver and then kill healthy babies in the 3rd trimester? Without repercussions?

This doesn’t happen. Stop asking hypotheticals that are fake news. It’s Republican crap that feeds the base.
I know that, Tom, but when the OP posts this:

"Arizona gubernatorial candidate Katie Hobbs is the latest high-profile Democrat to suggest that women should be free to have an abortion at any time during their pregnancy."

And someone responds with, "Good".

I get curious as to what that "Good" actually means. I'm just testing the boundaries, nothing more. I've made my stance pretty clear in discourse with joel.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I’m curious, how many women at 8+months pregnant with no medical issues that could threaten either the baby or the mother do you think opt for abortions at that point of the pregnancy? Personally, I’m guessing near-zero.

There’s very few people out there advocating for ZERO limitations on abortions. Of course it’s also true that the deeper into a pregnancy a woman goes, it becomes exponentially more likely that an abortion is medically related, especially in the third trimester.
See my response to Tom above.

Health care choices belong to mothers and have nothing to do with ignorant asshole like Northern and podunk lawmakers.
That's just it. That is your opinion. The same could be said about many things:

Marriage. Why is the govt involved in my marriage? Why do I need to pay to get a license? What business is it of the govt who I marry, whether it be Jim or Jane?

School. Why is the govt involved in whether or not my child attends school? I'm the parent and I will decide if my child will attend school, it shouldn't be mandated by the govt.

When a person actually believes that an unborn child is a human life needing protection (not some cop-out comment that the person just wants to control a woman's body), then the discussion is valid and isn't easily dismissed. That's why the topic is so different than the other social issues dividing the left and right. Personally, I side with the left on many social issues, but I'm divided and conflicted on abortion...it's a pretty horrific act...one I sincerely try to understand.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Viability - around 22 weeks. And then options if the mother or fetus have complications.

Reactions: sober_teacher
That's just it. That is your opinion. The same could be said about many things:

Marriage. Why is the govt involved in my marriage? Why do I need to pay to get a license? What business is it of the govt who I marry, whether it be Jim or Jane?

School. Why is the govt involved in whether or not my child attends school? I'm the parent and I will decide if my child will attend school, it shouldn't be mandated by the govt.

When a person actually believes that an unborn child is a human life needing protection (not some cop-out comment that the person just wants to control a woman's body), then the discussion is valid and isn't easily dismissed. That's why the topic is so different than the other social issues dividing the left and right. Personally, I side with the left on many social issues, but I'm divided and conflicted on abortion...it's a pretty horrific act...one I sincerely try to understand.
You're flailing. The marriage thing is simply so you can file differently on your taxes now. There's nothing to prevent someone from going through a marriage ceremony and claiming they are married. School? Really? Our country decided an educated populace is essential to our success. You don't have to go to a public school but it is available.

Abortion laws being proposed are mandating women to complete pregnancies. That if FAR, FAR different and reeks of authoritarianism.

"I support leaving the decision between a woman and her doctor and leaving politicians entirely out of it,"

Hobbs said Sunday that late-term abortions are very rare and usually happen when something has gone wrong with a pregnancy. She made a similar argument to Murray's by saying the government should not have any role in limiting when an abortion may happen. "A doctor's not going to perform an abortion late in a pregnancy just because somebody decided they want one. That is ridiculous," Hobbs told Garrett. "Abortion is a very personal decision that belongs between a woman and her doctor."

She like you guys like to claim this stuff would never happen without any real evidence to back it up.

Because apparently in your minds women and doctors are pure people who never make evil choices.

Again I can accept this is not happening in the vast majority of cases. I think that can be proven. But you can't prove that it NEVER happens. And are for some reason intent on keeping it completely legal.

She like you guys like to claim this stuff would never happen without any real evidence to back it up.

Because apparently in your minds women and doctors are pure people who never make evil choices.

Again I can accept this is not happening in the vast majority of cases. I think that can be proven. But you can't prove that it NEVER happens. And are for some reason intent on keeping it completely legal.
This is just bullshit. It's more scare tactics from right wing propaganda. With what has been proposed this situation would be illegal as it was under Roe.

It's as if you think abomination magically goes away by taking away abortion rights. Hint - it doesn't. JFC

Reactions: Ree4

If some hypothetical mother hellbent on killing her child one day before birth found some hypothetical doctor hellbent on helping all the laws in the world wouldn't stop them. Why punish women who have to end the pregnancy for legitimate reasons?

Abortion laws being proposed are mandating women to complete pregnancies. That if FAR, FAR different and reeks of authoritarianism.
You (and others on this side of the issue) seem to completely discount the feelings and beliefs of those who struggle with this issue and why they/we struggle with it. Instead, we're labeled "Pro-Birth" and/or accused of simply trying to control women's bodies. How on earth is that remotely fair? We're expected to compromise our belief system and be understanding, but it doesn't go both ways.

In this thread alone, I've present many compromises and clearly stated I'm willing to flush my belief's down the shitter on the alter of compromise--abortion on the bases of rape, incest or danger to the mother, set term cut-off 15, 20 weeks (or whatever # was mentioned earlier), establish programs to help single moms, make adoption more affordable, hold fathers accountable, etc. All I ask in return is support on the compromise and not be dismissive and falsely accusatory on motives/beliefs. I certainly don't support anyone calling pro-choice people baby killers, I don't support violent acts at abortion clinics, etc. In fact, I believe mothers who enter an abortion clinic should be offered the highest level of support and compassion as many don't want to be there, but feel they have no alternatives. I want to give them as many alternatives as possible.

Reactions: Finance85
If some hypothetical mother hellbent on killing her child one day before birth found some hypothetical doctor hellbent on helping all the laws in the world wouldn't stop them. Why punish women who have to end the pregnancy for legitimate reasons?
You sound like an anti gun control nut, Huey. :cool:

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye

So you are now going with the laws don't change anything argument. Which for the record is the #1 argument of all of the people against gun control.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Over a hypothetical mother who hoosier can't even proves exists? We have mass shootings every week. What we don't have are mass abortions one day before birth for no reason. It's a madeup justification to blur abortion rights
Then lets not blur them. Let's make them vary clear. Any issues with my proposals in response to Riley above?

So you are now going with the laws don't change anything argument. Which for the record is the #1 argument of all of the people against gun control.
You have no evidence these abortions are happening. Yet you want to ban abortions over this hypothetical woman and her hypothetical doctor. The gun comparison is not applicable, because we have tons of evidence of shooting. What is applicable is using the flimsy excuse that hypothetical people should be driving abortion rights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT