ADVERTISEMENT

Democratic Party ID falls to new low while independent ID ties for high: Gallup

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023
Anew survey found that the number of voters who identify with the Democratic Party has hit a new low, while independent identification continues to rise.

Political independents have long been the largest political group in the United States. As of 2023, 43 percent of voters identify as an independent, which ties the record high set back in 2014, a Gallup survey found.

The Democratic Party has hit its lowest point in 35 years, with only 27 percent of voters identifying with the party. The Republican Party also has 27 percent of voters that identify with the party, the survey found.

Independents have outnumbered Republicans and Democrats for years. The only times they did not make up the largest group of voters was from 2004-2008, Gallup reported.

Since 2022, both major political parties saw a one-point decline in support among voters, while independent identification was up two percentage points.

“Democratic identification has now declined by one point in each of the past three years,” Gallup wrote. “These declines, and the new low registered in 2023, are likely ties to President Joe Biden’s unpopularity.”

Independent voters tend to lean more Republican in recent years, Gallup found. Historically, independent voters have leaned more Democratic, but according to 2023 results of the survey, 45 percent of voters identify as Republicans or lean toward the GOP, while 43 percent are Democrats or lean Democratic.

Last year marks the third time in the last 35 years that Republicans have a slight edge.

Gallup noted that in six of the last seven presidential election years, the number of people who identify as independents drops, as an intense focus on the two major parties ramps up. Still, despite that drop independent voters will continue to hold the majority in this election, it added.

“As 2024 begins, the parties are closely matched based on political party identification and leanings. However, Democrats are clearly in a weaker position than they have been in any recent election year,” Gallup wrote.

“In what is expected to be a close election contest, it is critical for each party, but especially Democrats, to nominate a candidate who can appeal to independent voters.”

The survey us based on combined data from 1988 to 2023 including interviews with more than 12,000 adults last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...E&cvid=c7c6ead02d6846b5c69c163a602fd0a0&ei=47

¡Ay, caramba!

I've been sounding the alarm on here for a while. I'm an Independent and get attacked for it. Their crap and attacks have really pushed me away. Not to say the Trumpers aren't without fault, but at least I can laugh at some of the stuff and move on. With liberals, it's an absolute attack. Their entire policy debate is "Trump" and everything he does is going to destroy everything. Yet, they don't provide me with anything with ideas and why voting for them would put those policies in place and would be good for me.

I've been sounding the alarm on here for a while. I'm an Independent and get attacked for it. Their crap and attacks have really pushed me away. Not to say the Trumpers aren't without fault, but at least I can laugh at some of the stuff and move on. With liberals, it's an absolute attack. Their entire policy debate is "Trump" and everything he does is going to destroy everything. Yet, they don't provide me with anything with ideas and why voting for them would put those policies in place and would be good for me.
Because there hasn't been viable threat to their marxist agenda as big as Trump since Regan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT