ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats begin process to bypass GOP House leaders and raise debt limit

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
House Democrats on Tuesday began a process that could allow them to bypass the chamber’s Republican leaders in passing legislation to raise the nation’s debt ceiling — if they can get a handful of GOP members to join the effort.

In a letter to colleagues, House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said the maneuver “preserves an important option” as a standoff continues between the White House and House Republicans ahead of a looming default on U.S. debt as early as June 1.

Jeffries said Democrats had crafted a “special rule” that could allow a bipartisan measure to be considered on the House floor through use of a so-called “discharge petition” — a procedure that is cumbersome, time-consuming and rarely successful.

The first date Democrats could gather signatures for the discharge petition is May 16. To succeed, Democrats would need at least five Republicans to buck their party leadership, assuming all Democrats in the chamber are on board with the effort.

ADVERTISING

“We will be in direct contact next week upon our return to Washington in connection with the discharge effort,” Jeffries wrote to lawmakers, who are out on recess this week.
Last week, the House narrowly passed a bill backed by GOP leadership that would condition raising the debt limit on deep spending cuts and rolling back several of President Biden’s legislative priorities. Four Republicans voted against the bill.

Biden and congressional Democratic leaders are pushing for a “clean” bill that raises the limit without conditions, as Congress did three times during the previous Republican administration of Donald Trump.
House Democrats have been exploring the possibility of using a discharge position for weeks but do not see it as the preferable approach.
“Congress must urgently pass legislation to raise the borrowing limit and avoid plunging our nation into a recession, driving up unemployment and crashing the stock market,” Jeffries wrote. “A dangerous default is not an option. Making sure that America pays its bills – and not the extreme ransom note demanded by Republicans – is the only responsible course of action.”

The GOP legislation seeks to cap discretionary spending at fiscal year 2022 levels and allows 1 percent growth per year going forward. Republican leaders have said the cuts would not be applied across the board — ultimately it would be left to the appropriations process in coming years to determine what exactly is cut.
If their legislation were to become law, Republicans would eventually need to identify more than $3.5 billion in cuts over the coming decade. The Biden administration has estimated cuts of more than 20 percent would be required from most agencies.
Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) has labeled the bill “dead on arrival” and Biden has threatened to veto to it.
Biden has summoned congressional leaders to the White House next week to discuss the situation.

Reactions: BelemNole
kool-aid-oh-yeah.gif

There is a word for a single person looking to bypass the will of others to achieve thier desired results.

Is there a word for a single person who comments on a subject that they couldn't be bothered to spend three minutes or so of time to sufficiently inform themselves? I think on HORT we use moran, but others probably fit too.

All you would have to do is read literally only the first paragraph to realize that your post is irrelevant to this story.

Is there a word for a single person who comments on a subject that they couldn't be bothered to spend three minutes or so of time to sufficiently inform themselves? I think on HORT we use moran, but others probably fit too.

All you would have to do is read literally only the first paragraph to realize that your post is irrelevant to this story.

Does anything you posted change anything I posted?

Whiskey, the GOP house bill passed with the bare minimum necessary. Only a handful of republicans would need to defect to make it happen. Probably unlikely but an interesting test case of how firm McCarthys grip on his caucus is.

This is a negotiating tactic as much as anything else.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Whiskey, the GOP house bill passed with the bare minimum necessary. Only a handful of republicans would need to defect to make it happen. Probably unlikely but an interesting test case of how firm McCarthys grip on his caucus is.

But it passed, Biden wanted something and got it.

So all of the Democrats plus five Republicans, also known as a majority of the house, which to anyone who has a shred of knowledge of arithmetic knows that it's more than a single person.

Yet, whiskey will still piss his pants over the matter, because of course.

So all of the Democrats plus five Republicans, also known as a majority of the house, which to anyone who has a shred of knowledge of arithmetic knows that it's more than a single person.

Yet, whiskey will still piss his pants over the matter, because of course.
Jeffries for Speaker. 5 Republicans still loyal to America still exist right? 5 do the right thing and make Jeffries Speaker please.

To succeed, Democrats would need at least five Republicans to buck their party leadership, assuming all Democrats in the chamber are on board with the effort.
Seems as pertinent here as it was in the other thread...

There is no such thing as a "responsible center" in the Congressional GOP. I doubt there's even a responsible individual.
Five of them? Not a f'n chance.

That isn't the houses problem.

Be honest - this was a pro forma bill they passed just to say they had something out there…and it took major concessions just to get that - again with the bare minimum majority to pass. You know and I know the senate isn’t going to just pass the same bill so now we end up in reconciliation. Meaning McCarthy is somehow going to have negotiate with zero room for defections with a Senate bill that will be radically different.

So yeah, imo it is their problem too because their job isn’t done. Ironically, this is exactly why senate republicans agreed with that budget deal in December cuz we all saw this train coming down the tracks.

Be honest - this was a pro forma bill they passed just to say they had something out there…and it took major concessions just to get that - again with the bare minimum majority to pass. You know and I know the senate isn’t going to just pass the same bill so now we end up in reconciliation. Meaning McCarthy is somehow going to have negotiate with zero room for defections with a Senate bill that will be radically different.

So yeah, imo it is their problem too because their job isn’t done. Ironically, this is exactly why senate republicans agreed with that budget deal in December cuz we all saw this train coming down the tracks.
100% it's bullshit but those are the political games played both ways. They might need to bat 1000% but they have something that could theoretically pass.

I don't care what letter is behind the name, if a dumb ass president says "put something on my desk" and they do it, you can't bitch.

100% it's bullshit but those are the political games played both ways. They might need to bat 1000% but they have something that could theoretically pass.

I don't care what letter is behind the name, if a dumb ass president says "put something on my desk" and they do it, you can't bitch.
LOL...nothing has been "put on his desk" and that was never the intention.

I'm pretty sure the only thing McCarthy has a firm grip on is Trump's caucus.

I'm assuming you have seen all the ways this has been proven to be bullshit?
And see, there we go. Exactly why the Republicans are full of shit. The only specifics their bill cuts are Democratic priorities. Nothing about defense. taxes? Nope. It’s their wish list. Take away healthcare. wash Rinse and repeat. Nothing to be take seriously

And see, there we go. Exactly why the Republicans are full of shit. The only specifics their bill cuts are Democratic priorities. Nothing about defense. taxes? Nope. It’s their wish list. Take away healthcare. wash Rinse and repeat. Nothing to be take seriously
But it is in fact an option which is what they were asked to provide.

There job is to provide an option. They did.
An option that had little specifics. An option that was completely and totally rejected by Democrats Biden proposed an option as well. Just because Republicans don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t a valid option. So now you are completely blaming Republicans in the Senate? Who is left to blame.

An option that had little specifics. An option that was completely and totally rejected by Democrats Biden proposed an option as well. Just because Republicans don’t like it doesn’t mean it isn’t a valid option. So now you are completely blaming Republicans in the Senate? Who is left to blame.
What did Biden propose?

"Raise it then we will talk". That's not a framework. Maybe there is something I missed. Like or or not the Republicans provided an option with an outline.

Raise my credit card limit and I'll talk about how I'm going to change my spending practices after...... good one.

He didn't propose anything, which is why he bent the knee to McCarthy

House republicans are trying to have their budge battle now because senate republicans robbed them of the chance to do so when they agreed to the new budget in December.

You want to have an honest discussion about the budget for future spending? I’m here for it. But this is about paying what we’ve already agreed to.

Raise my credit card limit and I'll talk about how I'm going to change my spending practices after...... good one.

He didn't propose anything, which is why he bent the knee to McCarthy

This isn't so much raising your credit card limit as it's allowing you to pay the bills that you already owe. Part of that includes paying the credit card bill.

Or is it your view that part of reforming your spending habits is to stop paying bills on things you already owe?

We could of course have a discussion about spending, the problem is that the discussion if being pushed by a party that when it's in charge completely ignores the debt and does things like lowers our federal receipts via tax cuts. It does of course make sense to you that maybe you don't cut your hours or take a job with less pay when your family is deeply in debt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT