ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats begin process to bypass GOP House leaders and raise debt limit

This isn't so much raising your credit card limit as it's allowing you to pay the bills that you already owe. Part of that includes paying the credit card bill.

Or is it your view that part of reforming your spending habits is to stop paying bills on things you already owe?
No. Quite the opposite. Quit spending money on dumb shit.

Reactions: abby97
No. Quite the opposite. Quit spending money on dumb shit.

Again that money has already been spent, by laws passed by congress. This is money we already owe. Part of it goes to servicing the debt.

Now if you want congress to quit spending money on dumb shit you should probably let the Republicans know that when they are in charge of the country because they also like to spend money on dumb shit AND lower our national income.

Again that money has already been spent, by laws passed by congress. This is money we already owe. Part of it goes to servicing the debt.

Now if you want congress to quit spending money on dumb shit you should probably let the Republicans know that when they are in charge of the country because they also like to spend money on dumb shit AND lower our national income.
The student loan relief was.not passed by congress and polisi herself said he didn't have the authority to do it.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk

Republicans are in charge??? What......

Again, it's unbelievable how feckless the dems will sell thier representatives as.

"Making sure that America pays its bills (...) is the only responsible course of action.”

How does a government that always "pays its bills" find itself >31 trillion $$$ in debt?

We do not appear to be a serious country. 🤡

Raise my credit card limit and I'll talk about how I'm going to change my spending practices after...... good one.

He didn't propose anything, which is why he bent the knee to McCarthy
He better analogy is me letting you wrote the checks to make a payment on what is already owed. Are you actually saying he hasn’t said he would support, and that he would sign, a clean ceiling increase.

Reactions: cigaretteman
He better analogy is me letting you wrote the checks to make a payment on what is already owed. Are you actually saying he hasn’t said he would support, and that he would sign, a clean ceiling increase.
Can you rephrase or edit?

I think I got the last part. Yes, I know he has said he would sign a bill that raised it and then discuss the spending. That ain't gonna happen

We are so effed. In 10 years, we'll be just like the CCP, only second fiddle to the original.

The student loan relief was.not passed by congress and polisi herself said he didn't have the authority to do it.

I didn't say he did. In fact I've been pretty consistent that I don't believe the president has the authority to forgive student loans via executive order. Although I also don't believe that Trump had the authority to re-direct FEMA funds to building the wall.

Regardless the courts will decide if he has that authority or not.

What is a problem is that we are not going to be able to pay our bills. The time to get a handle on spending is during the budgetary process and the major spending bills and tax bills that come up. Not when the bill comes due.

I didn't say he did. In fact I've been pretty consistent that I don't believe the president has the authority to forgive student loans via executive order. Although I also don't believe that Trump had the authority to re-direct FEMA funds to building the wall.

Regardless the courts will decide if he has that authority or not.

What is a problem is that we are not going to be able to pay our bills. The time to get a handle on spending is during the budgetary process and the major spending bills and tax bills that come up. Not when the bill comes due.
That makes sense from a common sense prospective but unfortunately politicians only move when there is a gun to their heads. The spending bills should never have passed when everyone new what the debt ceiling was and when it would be reached, but did that stop them from recklessly raising spending levels, no. Just like negotiations are not taking place until the last minute. Politicians are irresponsible hacks so to stop their spending you need a big stick because there is never a carrot.

That makes sense from a common sense prospective but unfortunately politicians only move when there is a gun to their heads. The spending bills should never have passed when everyone new what the debt ceiling was and when it would be reached, but did that stop them from recklessly raising spending levels, no. Just like negotiations are not taking place until the last minute. Politicians are irresponsible hacks so to stop their spending you need a big stick because there is never a carrot.

And do you think these political hacks are really that interested in cutting spending or do you think they are more interested in using this as a tool to gut the Dems previously passed agenda just to score themselves a win under the guise of "cutting spending"

Because it seems to me that if these politicians were actually serious about cutting spending they would consider also gutting some of their own agenda items. First on the list might be the Trump tax cuts they passed that reduced our revenue.

And do you think these political hacks are really that interested in cutting spending or do you think they are more interested in using this as a tool to gut the Dems previously passed agenda just to score themselves a win under the guise of "cutting spending"

Because it seems to me that if these politicians were actually serious about cutting spending they would consider also gutting some of their own agenda items. First on the list might be the Trump tax cuts they passed that reduced our revenue.
That's why they need to negotiate.

That's why they need to negotiate.

You do realize that any negotiations that occur are just going to be minor cuts in spending that won't actually do anything.

I mean I havn't checked the deficit recently but it's likely hundreds of billions of dollars a year. Any actual cuts that likely get made will be a drop in the bucket. like maybe a billion a year at most. Most likely yes.

But the right will try to sell their base on that boondoggle. Then when they take back power they will cut taxes again and ramp up military spending . . . again.

Let them bypass. Neither side wants to negotiate. Let this one fall on the Dems. They can accept the consequences of their massive budget. R’s can campaign next year. If the Dem budget is as wonderful, necessary and paid for, then they can prove the R’s wrong and take back the house and possibly the senate in ‘24. If this budget is harmful to the economy and causes the financial pain to a majority of tax payers I think it will, then this could be the pendulum that swings everything back to the GOP…if they don’t run Trump….which they will, so we’re effed.

Let them bypass. Neither side wants to negotiate. Let this one fall on the Dems. They can accept the consequences of their massive budget. R’s can campaign next year. If the Dem budget is as wonderful, necessary and paid for, then they can prove the R’s wrong and take back the house and possibly the senate in ‘24. If this budget is harmful to the economy and causes the financial pain to a majority of tax payers I think it will, then this could be the pendulum that swings everything back to the GOP…if they don’t run Trump….which they will, so we’re effed.
This isn't about the budget - that has to be negotiated separately. This is about the debt ceiling.

Try rereading the story, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what is being described and what is happening right now.

For instance, there is no just "let them bypass" the Dems would need at least 5 Republican members of the house in order for this obscure plan to proceed.

The Dems aren't proposing a massive budget, they just want to raise the debt ceiling so we can pay for the spending that was already approved in the past and to avoid default, something that was done without much fanfare three times in the Trump admin.

The Republicans have offered to agree to raise the debt ceiling for a year in exchange for cuts in spending without identifying what cuts, while excluding massive areas.

You live on Rose Garden Blvd on living on an income ranging 60-100K over the years. You decide to reduce your income, and figure saving money buying volume and discount groceries, etc. Not taking vacations. You get the point.

You moved in during 90s. In the meantime, the property taxes increased 500%. Utilities 200%. Maintenance 500%.

Welcome to the world of the Republican Congress.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT