ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Mitchell to Texas Tech

I'd get pissed off if somebody unloaded a hit on me in a non-contact drill too, and it wouldn't matter if it's a walk-on, Desmond King, or Richard Sherman who did it. Not really sure that's enough of a reason to infer that somebody has attitude issues and is a me-first player. I agree with the bolded statement, but it's possible that the coaches simply liked Toks' game more than Mitchell's, and Derrick transferred because he saw the writing on the wall. Unless there is something that you know that I don't (which is entirely possible), all I see is somebody who has worked hard in school, earned their degree, and has gone about transferring without throwing anybody under the bus and seems to be genuinely grateful for their time here. I'd stop short of trying to pin attitude issues on the kid.
I had been tracking DMX since his recruitment. I was really happy when he chose the Hawks. Thus, I've been very supportive of him throughout his career. It's certainly possible that other issues weren't creeping up ... however, there appears to be enough "smoke" here for me to draw inferences to the contrary.

Does this mean that I won't wish him well in his future endeavors? Not at all. However, I remain curious to learn what the REAL story is behind his departure.

For example, do you remember Jacody Coleman? He left Iowa ... despite the coaches adoring him and despite him having a ton of close friends in the program. Although he had lost the starting spot to Pat in '08 ... there was talk of redshirting him in '09 so that we'd have him as an excellent starter in '10. All the same ... he left. Why? I know what the rumor mill was saying at the time ... and it had nothing to do with attitude issues or anything like that.

Why do I bring up Coleman? There are cases like his - where you clearly know that there aren't attitude issues and you know that he and the coaches are on the same page. However, all I can say is that Mitchell's situation doesn't match that sort of pattern. The most reasonable explanation that paints a more positive picture of Mitchell is if he really was too dinged to contribute at a high level ... throughout the entire season. However, through the season, when reporters asked about DMX ... the coaches didn't make it sound like there was a whole lot wrong with him.

How Mitchell does at Texas Tech depends on a lot of things, but as for his Iowa career, I firmly believe he was underutilized by the coaching staff and underappreciated by most fans as result. He clearly would have been Iowa's second best back behind Wadley this fall, so I'm disappointed to see him leave, but I hope he finds opportunity in Lubbock because I think that's all he needs to be a star.

BTW: Anyone who thinks KF and his former OC knew what they were doing in selecting proper personnel or executing an offense simply haven't been paying attention.
Somebody knew enough to average 10 wins the past 2 seasons....small % of programs can claim that, large % of fan base would orgasm for those results. I am not saying things couldn't improve, however; I believe that's why we are replacing 3 offense coaches including OC. The DMX argument is pointless anyhow, there could be a # of reasons why DMX didn't get enough playing time-including ability. None of us had enough evidence on the field to definitely make any claim-one way or another. The only claim I am making is that this is one of the few times I have found the grad transfer rule work out for all parties involved. DMX gets opportunity, iowa gets to play young backs and don't have to worry about probable attitude issues from disgruntled senior, and TT gets a serviceable back who's best attributes are in passing game

I had been tracking DMX since his recruitment. I was really happy when he chose the Hawks. Thus, I've been very supportive of him throughout his career. It's certainly possible that other issues weren't creeping up ... however, there appears to be enough "smoke" here for me to draw inferences to the contrary.

Does this mean that I won't wish him well in his future endeavors? Not at all. However, I remain curious to learn what the REAL story is behind his departure.

For example, do you remember Jacody Coleman? He left Iowa ... despite the coaches adoring him and despite him having a ton of close friends in the program. Although he had lost the starting spot to Pat in '08 ... there was talk of redshirting him in '09 so that we'd have him as an excellent starter in '10. All the same ... he left. Why? I know what the rumor mill was saying at the time ... and it had nothing to do with attitude issues or anything like that.

Why do I bring up Coleman? There are cases like his - where you clearly know that there aren't attitude issues and you know that he and the coaches are on the same page. However, all I can say is that Mitchell's situation doesn't match that sort of pattern. The most reasonable explanation that paints a more positive picture of Mitchell is if he really was too dinged to contribute at a high level ... throughout the entire season. However, through the season, when reporters asked about DMX ... the coaches didn't make it sound like there was a whole lot wrong with him.
I feel as though I read this whole thing and realized you never actually made a point?????

I feel as though I read this whole thing and realized you never actually made a point?????
Somebody replied to my post stating that they'd stop short of pinning attitude issues on him (DMX). In my reply, I reaffirmed that we don't know enough to say anything definitively - thus, my "suspicions" that there may be attitude or similar issues with Mitchell should be taken with a grain of salt.

I went on to write about the fact that my inference was drawn upon available data. Thus, my suspicions aren't simply an attempt to find patterns in the clouds. However, as is true with any inference - more data must be acquired to improve the inference or to disprove the inference.

I also suggested that I've avidly tracked Mitchell's career ... thus, I don't have a dog in this fight. I absolutely have nothing against Mitchell ... hence, I have no dark motive leading me to draw my inferences (i.e. suggesting that there might be attitude issues obviously doesn't paint DMX in a positive light - if I had a grudge against him, then one could argue that I'm purposely trying to smear his name).

DMX was grossly underutilized in 2016. Toks better? Give me a break. DMX will play in NFL. Will Daniels?
Well Daniels is at least with an NFL team as of now, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if he sticks. None of us knows, (including you), if DMX will even play a down at Tech let alone if he gets a shot at the league. So at this point your post is just another,(our dumb ass coaches let another star get away), comment correct?

Reactions: terrehawk
One other thing. This bagging on Daniels is absurd. The guy had, ONE year where he was healthy and part of the rotation. Sharing carries he ran for over a 1000 yds, over 5 yds per carry, was a tough inside runner, AND had at least four runs for td's between 69 and 75 yds. One was called back. He was a great Hawk, leader, and teamate. He EARNED the right to be a starter for our offense. PERIOD! He also assisted greatly in Iowa landing a future all BIG offensive lineman. Why must we constantly have people complaining that someone else should have been playing, or "He'll never play in the NFL"? How about we thank him for his years as a hawk, and wish him all the best?:rolleyes:

One other thing. This bagging on Daniels is absurd. The guy had, ONE year where he was healthy and part of the rotation. Sharing carries he ran for over a 1000 yds, over 5 yds per carry, was a tough inside runner, AND had at least four runs for td's between 69 and 75 yds. One was called back. He was a great Hawk, leader, and teamate. He EARNED the right to be a starter for our offense. PERIOD! He also assisted greatly in Iowa landing a future all BIG offensive lineman. Why must we constantly have people complaining that someone else should have been playing, or "He'll never play in the NFL"? How about we thank him for his years as a hawk, and wish him all the best?:rolleyes:
Get back on your medication.

Kind of seems like you're saying that since there is no definitive evidence that Mitchell doesn't have an attitude problem that you're inferring that he does.

And look: I know you have no ill will towards any Hawkeyes player present or former, but it just doesn't make much sense to me to pose the argument that somebody has a bad attitude when there is little to no actual concrete evidence to support it. In this case, it seems to me that the best explanation is the most simple one: he transferred due to young guys stepping up and not seeing playing time in the foreseeable future.

Kind of seems like you're saying that since there is no definitive evidence that Mitchell doesn't have an attitude problem that you're inferring that he does.

And look: I know you have no ill will towards any Hawkeyes player present or former, but it just doesn't make much sense to me to pose the argument that somebody has a bad attitude when there is little to no actual concrete evidence to support it. In this case, it seems to me that the best explanation is the most simple one: he transferred due to young guys stepping up and not seeing playing time in the foreseeable future.
In all frankness, on this issue - I think that you're being more "fair" to Mitchell than I am. That is a good thing.

However, given Mitchell's "pattern" of playing time over the past few years - it screams "doghouse" to me. Thus, while you're being more fair ... I'm not certain that Occam's razor favors your explanation over mine. There are three "simplest" explanations ....
  1. Coaches favored Toks - so Mitchell sat more
  2. Mitchell was injured
  3. Mitchell was in the dog-house
I honestly hope that I'm wrong. I certainly wish Mitchell well. However, I've come to trust my gut through the years ... so given the current data that all three of those possibilities are equally valid ... I have no reason to change my mind (yet). Part of my reason for posting my suspicions was to hopefully provoke somebody who is more knowledgeable about the situation to supply us with more data ... from which we could alter our hypotheses accordingly.

Reactions: terrehawk
Get back on your medication.
Maybe you need to come up with something more worthwhile to post there rook. So what exactly did I say in that post that wasn't 200% true? It gets so old on here, people saying negative shit about guys who were great hawks, and nothing but positive role models their whole career in Iowa City. Maybe you haven't been on here long enough to see the pattern, or your just going to be another one of the bitch squad. God, lets hope not.....

I dunno. I thought Mitchell looked really good in his limited playing time. It will be interesting to see how he does at Texas Tech. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be really productive.

I dunno. I thought Mitchell looked really good in his limited playing time. It will be interesting to see how he does at Texas Tech. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be really productive.
I'd agree, and think he COULD be productive there. Its just the people going on about how he should have played in front of Wadley or Daniels, eh NO! He would have had his chance this year to be one of those horses, and decided to pass. People say that he was in KF's dog house, and wouldn't have played this year either. I don't know if thats true or not, but I do know that guys with talent have lived in KF's dog house for four years and still played enough to be all conference type players. See DJK as a prime example.

DMX looked solid in limited time, but he did seem to spend quite a bit of time in the dog house.

Good luck to him in his final year at TTU.

I think when Daniels was able to showcase at the combine the "haters" got super quiet. His #'s were out of this world for a guy his size. He also had great stats this year even considering he had like 200 yards called back for penalties. That being said, anybody who thought or think DMX should have played ahead of either of them are just trolls or not bright

I think when Daniels was able to showcase at the combine the "haters" got super quiet. His #'s were out of this world for a guy his size. He also had great stats this year even considering he had like 200 yards called back for penalties. That being said, anybody who thought or think DMX should have played ahead of either of them are just trolls or not bright

Dude, you sound a little like Kilroy. Why would the haters get quiet? He didn't get drafted and the team that picked him up has like 7 running backs on the roster. His only hope is to get picked up by another team once New England releases him. He was a serviceable back who benefited running behind a good run blocking line. Was Mitchell better than him? Probably not, but that conclusion has not yet been written.

Reactions: HeathForrester
Anyone know what happened here? Kinda bummed for Derrick,I was hoping it would work out for him at TTech.

Iowa graduate transfer Derrick Mitchell Jr. has officially announced that he will not be attending Texas Tech this fall.
Texas Tech is down a running back, but statistically, it’s not as bad as it sounds, even though depth is still a concern.

In a Tweet on Thursday, Derrick Mitchell Jr. announced that he won’t be attending Texas Tech in the fall, due to personal reasons.

The announcement came after months of speculation about Mitchell’s status with the Red Raiders, to which he announced his transfer intentions to back in May.

On a Red Raider Sports message board last month, some clarity on the situation began to show when threads read: “Mitchell had some issues upon his arrival and was sent home.”

It’s not clear exactly what those issues were, or if Mitchell being sent home was in relation to the issue(s). What we do know, is that Texas Tech head coach Kliff Kingsbury has a zero tolerance policy when it comes to behaviors or personalities that don’t align with the Tech culture, so if Mitchell was off to a questionable start when he arrived in Lubbock, his announcement is probably for the best, and for both parties.

Mitchell’s official Tweet announcing his decision says that due to personal things, he needs to be closer to home:

non-YT-play-squared.png

Gold Medalist Aly Raisman & Playtex® Sport® Compact Pay a Young Gymnast a Surprise Visit
NEW Playtex® Sport® Compact. 30% smaller than our full size but same comfort and protection to keep up with your active lifestyle.
Ad by Playtex Sport

Again, we can only speculate, however, Mitchell only had 27 carries for 174 yards, and three touchdowns in his career at Iowa. That’s not to say anything bad about him, and we certainly hope everything is okay; it’s just to offer insight to attrition hawks, that his stats are easily replaceable.

Sad for DMX, but maybe helpful. I hope he finds the right place, the right system, and brings the right attitude to have a great final year. And congratulations on graduation, too.

Reactions: Herkmeister
BTW, what's the link between TT and Iowa. Is there somebody in the program down there with an Iowa connection? Strange that so many guys have transferred there.

First he got passed up last year by toks. Texas tech is a real good landing spot for him, his skill set fits their system, and he already knows 2 other guys down there

Several people said the same thing as you. Uh, why did Toks pass him up? I doubt it was talent related.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT