ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Mitchell to Texas Tech

First he got passed up last year by toks. Texas tech is a real good landing spot for him, his skill set fits their system, and he already knows 2 other guys down there

Can't believe the coaches allowed this to happen. He's the next most experience RB to Wadley and showed flashes of brilliance.

He was ok when he saw the field but he definitely never showed "flashes of brilliance". Good pass protector and receiver out of the backfield, but that's about it. Hopefully he gets an opportunity at Tech but I would rather take my chances with Toren and Toks.

Reactions: LGEND24
I just find it funny that no matter what fans get pissed. Agree DMX was a great hawkeye and wish it worked out differently but it didn't nothing more, nothing less. He is our 3rd best back at best and I think we can all admit Wadleys pretty good and will get bulk of the carries. DMX is good back, we just happen to have better

I just find it funny that no matter what fans get pissed. Agree DMX was a great hawkeye and wish it worked out differently but it didn't nothing more, nothing less. He is our 3rd best back at best and I think we can all admit Wadleys pretty good and will get bulk of the carries. DMX is good back, we just happen to have better
3rd best, based on what evidence?

Reactions: Stormn Norman
I hope he gets to play, and I hope he tears it up. I thought he could have been great with the right opportunity. Hope one of the younger players can step up.

Well he's certainly not our best, I think Toks is just as good at Mitchell in the passing game and a much better runner, also think Young is better...that's my opinion. I also don't know if anybody has any evidence that he's any more than a serviceable back at best. I think he's serviceable just not any better than the backs we have, hope he does well but unless we see a plethora of injuries it's not a huge loss.... I have been always fascinated with fans always think so highly of the players who don't play- you know the infamous backup QB love affair

Well he's certainly not our best, I think Toks is just as good at Mitchell in the passing game and a much better runner, also think Young is better...that's my opinion. I also don't know if anybody has any evidence that he's any more than a serviceable back at best. I think he's serviceable just not any better than the backs we have, hope he does well but unless we see a plethora of injuries it's not a huge loss.... I have been always fascinated with fans always think so highly of the players who don't play- you know the infamous backup QB love affair
You'd better be 4-5 deep at running back. Right now we're not.

Wish DMX the best no doubt but the evidence of him being the third best back at best last year was the fact that we had 2 1000 yard backs one of which also has potential to be dangerous in the passing game in Wadley. I'm not taking any reps away from Wadley or Daniels last year .... sorry. This year we will have Young & Toks behind Wadley so that's not exactly going to be a bare cupboard.

As far as the 'flashes of brilliance' I recall one good game at Northwestern 2 years ago. The same game that Wadley went bonkers in. After that he did a serviceable job but nothing out of this world.

Reactions: LGEND24
You'd better be 4-5 deep at running back. Right now we're not.
Yeah I get that, but a 5th year senior isn't for going to want to be the 3rd 4th or 5th guy....in most cases a grad transfer might be a good idea in this case....which is one of the few benefits for the grad transfer rule. Don't get me wrong, would love him to add depth. However, in this case a grad transfer might be best. Good luck to him

Yeah I get that, but a 5th year senior isn't for going to want to be the 3rd 4th or 5th guy....in most cases a grad transfer might be a good idea in this case....which is one of the few benefits for the grad transfer rule. Don't get me wrong, would love him to add depth. However, in this case a grad transfer might be best. Good luck to him
I would guess they only red shirt one of the incoming freshman RB.

I think that DMX was a promising player for the Hawks. However, I recall him getting into a little bit of a snit during a practice when the BTN came by an Iowa practice either last spring or last summer/fall camp. What I understand from the incident was that King essentially unloaded a hit on him during a non-contact drill ... and he was seriously pissed off about it.

That all may be water under the bridge now ... but there were some signs that Mitchell may have been in the dog-house through much of the year. If he wasn't ... then he must have been dinged and not capable of contributing at a level higher than Toks. Given the play that he demonstrated in '15 ... he showed me more then that what I saw on the field from Toks.

However, the above said ... it's more than possible that Mitchell had been going about more as a me-player ... and the coaches may have preferred the attitude and performance that they were seeing from Toks in practice. I would understand that perspective ... and besides, the coaches obviously wanted to give Toks more high-quality practice reps so that he'd be more ready when '17 came around.

Given how Daniels and Wadley played in '16 ... those are the biggest and most obvious reasons why DMX didn't play more last season. However, I'd infer that there has to me more to the story. Given that Mitchell ended up transferring ... that lends further credibility to such an inference. If he were all happy at Iowa - then there would be less reason for him to leave. Also, given how he played in '15 ... the number of reps he saw in '16 was staggeringly low.

DMX was grossly underutilized in 2016. Toks better? Give me a break. DMX will play in NFL. Will Daniels?

Dude...he was a one trick pony. Could not pass-pro and that sticks you immediately at the back of the line. He was a 3rd down pass catching back....end of story. Tech will be a decent spot, but do not look for him to be carrying the rock much. Playing RPO downs will be the only option for him..good luck to him! Lubbock is hell on earth.

Dude...he was a one trick pony. Could not pass-pro and that sticks you immediately at the back of the line. He was a 3rd down pass catching back....end of story. Tech will be a decent spot, but do not look for him to be carrying the rock much. Playing RPO downs will be the only option for him..good luck to him! Lubbock is hell on earth.
Dude indeed. DMX caught passes on third down because Davis/Ferentz played him only on third-down passing situations. Cocoem = cognitive issues.

Reactions: JoelBittner
DMX was grossly underutilized in 2016. Toks better? Give me a break. DMX will play in NFL. Will Daniels?
If he wants to play in the NFL, going to a team that runs it about 7 times a game probably wasn't the right move. But I think you're trolling perhaps.

Dude indeed. DMX caught passes on third down because Davis/Ferentz played him only on third-down passing situations. Cocoem = cognitive issues.
Jimbo = comprehension not his strong point. The ONLY thing that he brought to the offense was his ability to catch it out of the backfield....otherwise he was NO GOOD enough to play on any other situation. But then again you are part of the "We know more than the coaches" brigade.

Jimbo = comprehension not his strong point. The ONLY thing that he brought to the offense was his ability to catch it out of the backfield....otherwise he was NO GOOD enough to play on any other situation. But then again you are part of the "We know more than the coaches" brigade.

The ad hominem gives away the fact that you lost . . . and you reacted the way children react when they lose.

How Mitchell does at Texas Tech depends on a lot of things, but as for his Iowa career, I firmly believe he was underutilized by the coaching staff and underappreciated by most fans as result. He clearly would have been Iowa's second best back behind Wadley this fall, so I'm disappointed to see him leave, but I hope he finds opportunity in Lubbock because I think that's all he needs to be a star.

BTW: Anyone who thinks KF and his former OC knew what they were doing in selecting proper personnel or executing an offense simply haven't been paying attention.

How Mitchell does at Texas Tech depends on a lot of things, but as for his Iowa career, I firmly believe he was underutilized by the coaching staff and underappreciated by most fans as result. He clearly would have been Iowa's second best back behind Wadley this fall, so I'm disappointed to see him leave, but I hope he finds opportunity in Lubbock because I think that's all he needs to be a star.

BTW: Anyone who thinks KF and his former OC knew what they were doing in selecting proper personnel or executing an offense simply haven't been paying attention.
Exactly.

I think that DMX was a promising player for the Hawks. However, I recall him getting into a little bit of a snit during a practice when the BTN came by an Iowa practice either last spring or last summer/fall camp. What I understand from the incident was that King essentially unloaded a hit on him during a non-contact drill ... and he was seriously pissed off about it.

That all may be water under the bridge now ... but there were some signs that Mitchell may have been in the dog-house through much of the year. If he wasn't ... then he must have been dinged and not capable of contributing at a level higher than Toks. Given the play that he demonstrated in '15 ... he showed me more then that what I saw on the field from Toks.

However, the above said ... it's more than possible that Mitchell had been going about more as a me-player ... and the coaches may have preferred the attitude and performance that they were seeing from Toks in practice. I would understand that perspective ... and besides, the coaches obviously wanted to give Toks more high-quality practice reps so that he'd be more ready when '17 came around.

Given how Daniels and Wadley played in '16 ... those are the biggest and most obvious reasons why DMX didn't play more last season. However, I'd infer that there has to me more to the story. Given that Mitchell ended up transferring ... that lends further credibility to such an inference. If he were all happy at Iowa - then there would be less reason for him to leave. Also, given how he played in '15 ... the number of reps he saw in '16 was staggeringly low.
I'd get pissed off if somebody unloaded a hit on me in a non-contact drill too, and it wouldn't matter if it's a walk-on, Desmond King, or Richard Sherman who did it. Not really sure that's enough of a reason to infer that somebody has attitude issues and is a me-first player. I agree with the bolded statement, but it's possible that the coaches simply liked Toks' game more than Mitchell's, and Derrick transferred because he saw the writing on the wall. Unless there is something that you know that I don't (which is entirely possible), all I see is somebody who has worked hard in school, earned their degree, and has gone about transferring without throwing anybody under the bus and seems to be genuinely grateful for their time here. I'd stop short of trying to pin attitude issues on the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT