ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Willies to Trinity Valley Community College

It will be interesting to see where he lands after Juco.

Some Iowa fans really seem to think quite highly of his abilities. Kind of surprising since Iowa State is the only other Power 5 school that offered him coming out of high school. I know he flashed during Iowa's scrimmages, but unfortunately last year's D was not among our better defensive years.

Anyone have an idea on why he is going the JUCO route? I genuinely don't know - did he have academic issues at Iowa?
It seems to me like he wants to play right away and I definitely respect that but there are dozens of four year programs where he would be eligible to play this year who would probably love to have him in their program.

Originally posted by Hawks2405:
Derrick Willies is going JUCO route located in Athens, TX. It looks like they have a lot of guys sign with D1 programs.
Ain't gonna amount to anything in D1. So be it.

Selfishness kills.

Wonder what happened to his leaving the program to be closer to his dad that was sick? Iowa, then Arizona talk, and now he's transferring to a Texas Juco

I can't believe that the conditions KF laid out for his return to the team are any more onerous than this Juco route that he has decided to take instead. It makes me wonder if it's not just a matter of pride that Willies doesn't feel like it's fair that he should have to jump through any hoops to get back in good standing with the team.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by nu2u:
Anyone have an idea on why he is going the JUCO route? I genuinely don't know - did he have academic issues at Iowa?
It seems to me like he wants to play right away and I definitely respect that but there are dozens of four year programs where he would be eligible to play this year who would probably love to have him in their program.
I'm not an expert, but here's what I believe: If he goes JUCO he can play next year, where if he went D1, He'd have to sit out. So it gives him the opportunity to play against live competition next year, and get back to D1 as a Junior. This may have been more certain than being granted a hardship waiver, and less limiting in terms of where he ends up (since he probably would have had to go to Arizona or ASU).

I think it's reasonable to believe Kirk met with team captains and devised a plan for his return with some objectives for him to meet. None of us know what happened after that, but the combination of teammates and KF putting down "rules" for return could certainly feel to a 19 year old like his teammates didn't want him back. In my mind, his actions are consistent with this type of scenario. I'm not sure we'll ever know. The whole situation is unfortunate.

I believe this route has work very well for many players that are now in the NFL.
AJ Derby will be at the NFL combines soon as well.

Originally posted by Mountain Man Hawk:
I can't believe that the conditions KF laid out for his return to the team are any more onerous than this Juco route that he has decided to take instead. It makes me wonder if it's not just a matter of pride that Willies doesn't feel like it's fair that he should have to jump through any hoops to get back in good standing with the team.
Ferentz ran him off and willies is lucky to be off the sinking ship. That stubborn donkey was not going to be shown up by letting Willies back on the team.

Originally posted by Fatsohawk:
Derrick Willies is going JUCO route located in Athens, TX. It looks like they have a lot of guys sign with D1 programs.

Selfishness kills.
Signed,

Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Michael Irvin
Steve Smith
Brandon Marshall

Sounds like butt hurt to me. I hope he goes on to have a solid D1 career after Juco.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:

Selfishness kills.
Signed,

Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Michael Irvin
Steve Smith
Brandon Marshall

Sounds like butt hurt to me. I hope he goes on to have a solid D1 career after Juco.
Something I heard once about a pot and a kettle.

Originally posted by eddie4star:

Ferentz ran him off and willies is lucky to be off the sinking ship. That stubborn donkey was not going to be shown up by letting Willies back on the team.
Wrong, and really lame

I know there were a few posters on here that were down on Willies for leaving and didn't want him back on the team. I guess I looked at it as a young man confused on where his priorities needed to be. After spending time with his father he wanted to come back. I see that as a young man realizing he made a bad decision and wanted to come back to his team. I have no idea what conditions coach Ferentz gave him but they must have been pretty steep to make him go the juco route. Our loss is certainly some else's gain.. Best of luck to him....

I don't believe anyone has the full story. I think 80% of the time, there are other issues that are not revealed on one side or both sides. KF always talks in mumbo jumbo demotivating coach speak and the player doesn't want to burn bridges and limit their chance of getting into their next stop.

Originally posted by HoustonHawkeye:
I don't believe anyone has the full story. I think 80% of the time, there are other issues that are not revealed on one side or both sides. KF always talks in mumbo jumbo demotivating coach speak and the player doesn't want to burn bridges and limit their chance of getting into their next stop.
Can't disagree with you .....

Ya this is what happened!? The more dumb posts you make the dumber you look.

If the issue was only that Willies needed time to be with his father, why would CJB state otherwise? Why would Ferentz make the kid (I can't believe I am old enough for the word 'kid' to make sense here) jump through anymore hoops than someone who just 'lost their smile' with football? Makes no sense.

The kid quit on his team. I agree he should have had more minutes, but he quit. Literally. Nobody forced him to post on twitter he was leaving, nobody forced him to walk away. He quit. And when Ferentz, who already didn't give him what he wanted with p.t., didn't bust out the red carpet and give him a pathway back to the team with a degree of difficulty that he wanted, he quit again.

That is fine. He obviously thinks that he is doing the right thing for him, and that is his choice. As long as he is happy with doing this, that is all that matters. He deserves happiness in football, and sitting on a bench in the middle of the Fall/Winter in Iowa and the Midwest wasn't doing it.

I will root for the kid as hard as any Hawkeye. I think he should've had more playing time, but to think he didn't quit on this team is ludicrous.

Originally posted by Cougar63:
If the issue was only that Willies needed time to be with his father, why would CJB state otherwise? Why would Ferentz make the kid (I can't believe I am old enough for the word 'kid' to make sense here) jump through anymore hoops than someone who just 'lost their smile' with football? Makes no sense.

The kid quit on his team. I agree he should have had more minutes, but he quit. Literally. Nobody forced him to post on twitter he was leaving, nobody forced him to walk away. He quit. And when Ferentz, who already didn't give him what he wanted with p.t., didn't bust out the red carpet and give him a pathway back to the team with a degree of difficulty that he wanted, he quit again.

That is fine. He obviously thinks that he is doing the right thing for him, and that is his choice. As long as he is happy with doing this, that is all that matters. He deserves happiness in football, and sitting on a bench in the middle of the Fall/Winter in Iowa and the Midwest wasn't doing it.

I will root for the kid as hard as any Hawkeye. I think he should've had more playing time, but to think he didn't quit on this team is ludicrous.
He stayed in school so not sure how he ended up spending more time with his father. I think CJB was spot on.

Originally posted by caseyballzz:

Ya this is what happened!? The more dumb posts you make the dumber you look.
Tell me more Mr. Balls.

I have nothing against him. I wish him the best but my comments are based on his track record. He has played at multiple high schools, quit during his redshirt freshman season at Iowa, then said he wanted to come back but wasn't willing to do what was needed to get back on the team. In addition, it is not like he was some 4 or 5 star recruit. He didn't have schools knocking down his door to get him out of high school, it was basically Iowa and Iowa State. I hope he gets things figured out and has a good career but most of these type of stories don't end well. How are things going for former spring game star Cameron Wilson?? or look at someone with way more talent, Brandon Wegher.

Originally posted by HawkAttackDial911:

Selfishness kills.
Signed,

Terrell Owens
Randy Moss
Michael Irvin
Steve Smith
Brandon Marshall

LOL...Yeah, he's TOTALLY as good as those guys. Riiiiiight.

He's a quitter, plain and simple. And not willing to do what the coach asked of him to get his spot back.

LOL...Yeah, he's TOTALLY as good as those guys. Riiiiiight.

He's a quitter, plain and simple. And not willing to do what the coach asked of him to get his spot back.
Ferentz wasn't letting him back on the team no matter how many hoops the kid tried jumping through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT