ADVERTISEMENT

Des Moines Public Schools eyes $14 million cuts, including school staff

I am telling you the stadium has nothing to do with paying teachers can't be used that way.

We know. But that doesn't miminize the larger point of it all being public money. Why hasn't anyone concerned about teacher pay/budgets gone to the hill to lobby for changes to how money can be used? You will never get the sympathy of the public if you blow over 14 million on a stadium and then cut 14 million from your schools.

Last edited:
We know. But that doesn't miminize the larger point of it all being public money. Why hasn't anyone concerned about teacher pay/budgets gone to the hill to lobby for changes to how money can be used? You will never get the sympathy of the public if you blow approximately 20 million on a stadium and then cut 14 million from your schools.
Even your right wing shills are arguing against you on this.

No one has worse takes than you do.

No. You're wrong yet again.

You've seen the linked articles. Do you not believe them?

This is when it was still in the works.

Des Moines Public Schools will pay about $15 million from the sales tax fund SAVE (Secure an Advanced Vision for Education). Drake committed to fundraising the rest of the costs.

It’s real easy just go on the teachers social media page and if they have anything about supporting Bernie Sanders and The Squad on it. Then you fire them.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
You've seen the linked articles. Do you not believe them?

This is when it was still in the works.

Des Moines Public Schools will pay about $15 million from the sales tax fund SAVE (Secure an Advanced Vision for Education). Drake committed to fundraising the rest of the costs.

You need to evaluate where the funds come from. Not to mention the savings that will occur by not having to maintain or operate 3 other fields. You've had your ass kicked on this topic several times already.

You're a failure.

You need to evaluate where the funds come from. Not to mention the savings that will occur by not having to maintain or operate 3 other fields. You've had your ass kicked on this topic several times already.

You're a failure.

You said I was wrong on the money. Links have been provided to you.

More than 14 million.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
You said I was wrong on the money. Links have been provided to you.

More than 14 million.
No - I've said you are wrong on where the money comes from. And that this is a bad deal for the school district. I've also said you're a moron, which is proven to be the case in almost every thread.

How much would it cost to refurbish the existing stadiums and then maintain/operate them for the next 5 years?

Your silence on this is more than expected.

Just because the assistant to the assistant academic advisor might lose their job doesn’t mean the kids should have to play sports on crappy fields.

When did I say "school budget"? The record here is clear.
In several of the other times you brought this up.

So are you now admitting that this funding does not come out of the DM Public School Budget? If so, given the tremendous savings in maintenance/operating costs this has for them, why are you against this project?

Reactions: Tom Paris
In several of the other times you brought this up.

So are you now admitting that this funding does not come out of the DM Public School Budget? If so, given the tremendous savings in maintenance/operating costs this has for them, why are you against this project?

It was public money made available to DMPS.

Just like public money for the "DM Public School Budget".

It was public money made available to DMPS.

Just like public money for the "DM Public School Budget".
It's fun watching you dance.

Is it money the DM Public Schools could use for any purpose? Why is it a bad project given that it eliminates ongoing maitenance/operating costs and is being co-funded privately?

For the millionth time, PPEL and SAVE funds cannot be used to pay salaries.

You are embarrassing yourself more than normal. Your angst should be directed towards legislators who have been very stingy on providing flexibility for public funds, not towards public school districts that actually have to follow Iowa code unlike private institutions.

Yet, here we are.

For the millionth time, PPEL and SAVE funds cannot be used to pay salaries.

You are embarrassing yourself more than normal. Your angst should be directed towards legislators who have been very stingy on providing flexibility for public funds, not towards public school districts that actually have to follow Iowa code unlike private institutions.

Yet, here we are.

Never asserted otherwise. You need to read the posts and process them more clearly. I've already addressed the legal aspects in this thread. Have you contacted your state representatives? Have any of your colleagues done so? Or do you all prefer the status quo?

Never asserted otherwise. You need to read the posts and process them more clearly. I've already addressed the legal aspects in this thread. Have you contacted your state representatives? Have any of your colleagues done so? Or do you all prefer the status quo?
Yes, every pubic school representative in the state has. Once again, you're putting the blame in the wrong place. I'd start with the party of "small government."

I'm sure it will bring those communities together as they get their asses handed to them by Waukee and Dowling and Southeast Polk.

One other emerging concern impacting DMPS students is the transportation to and from the stadium.

Des Moines resident Kirk Twelmeyer has heard concerns from students in the district.

"The attendance at those games wasn't very good, because people don't want to ride the city bus," Twelmeyer said. "Having to ride a bus like that into the Drake area isn't the safest thing for teenage kids to be doing on their own."

My district has faced similar issues with declining enrollment. My guess is that you’ll hear talk of closing a school or two, which is never a quick process. There will be some RIFs, some administrative reductions and pay freezes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT