ADVERTISEMENT

DeSantis would consider pardoning Trump and January 6th traitors

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida plunged into his first full day of presidential campaigning on Thursday after his sputtering Twitter rollout the night before, holding a series of interviews with friendly conservative commentators and announcing a series of in-person events in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina next week.
For Mr. DeSantis, the immediate challenge appeared to be moving past the rough kickoff and appealing to a mainstream Republican audience, after a Twitter discussion with the billionaire Elon Musk that often strayed into online right-wing grievances and away from the issues voters say they care about most, like the economy.
Acknowledging that a “very small percentage” of Republican primary voters were on Twitter, Mr. DeSantis defended his decision to announce his campaign on the social media platform.
“We felt that there would be a lot of buzz about it,” he told the conservative radio host Erick Erickson on Thursday afternoon. “And I think that was probably the biggest story in the world yesterday. And so hopefully we’ll get some people interested in our campaign who may not have been otherwise.”
Story continues below advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Mr. DeSantis also sought to turn attention back to his brewing clash with former President Donald J. Trump, whose devoted supporters are one of the biggest hurdles to the governor’s candidacy. As he began his media blitz, Mr. DeSantis took a series of jabs at Mr. Trump, noting how frequently the former president attacked him.
“I think a lot of what he’s doing is showing everybody that he understands that I’ve got a good chance to beat him, because he doesn’t criticize anybody else now,” Mr. DeSantis told a New Hampshire radio station. “It’s only me.”
Mr. Trump’s team “wouldn’t do that if they didn’t think that I had a chance,” added Mr. DeSantis, who argued that he had a better chance of winning independent voters.

At the same time, Mr. DeSantis suggested on “The Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Show” that, if elected, he might consider pardoning Mr. Trump if he faced federal charges — along with many other people, including defendants charged in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the Capitol.
“On Day 1, I will have folks that will get together and look at all these cases, who people are victims of weaponization or political targeting, and we will be aggressive in issuing pardons,” he said, responding to a question about Jan. 6 pardons but also citing other cases that he claimed represented “weaponization” of federal law enforcement.

“Some of these cases, some people may have a technical violation of the law, but if there are three other people who did the same thing but just in a context like B.L.M. and they don’t get prosecuted at all, that is uneven application of justice,” he added, referring to the Black Lives Matter movement. “And so we’re going to find ways where that did not happen and then we will use the pardon power.”

Asked directly whether his review might include Mr. Trump himself, Mr. DeSantis said, “I would say any example of disfavored treatment based on politics or weaponization would be included in that review, no matter how small or how big.”
The governor had avoided mentioning Mr. Trump during his rollout on Wednesday, a delayed livestream Twitter Spaces event with Mr. Musk, the platform’s owner, that was plagued by technical glitches, causing dead air and an intermittently hot mic.
One of the people listening to the Twitter announcement was Mr. Trump himself — at least for a while.
“I tried for the first half-hour,” Mr. Trump said in an interview as he moved toward the seventh tee on his golf course outside Washington. “After that, everybody just turned it off.”

Mr. Trump crowed about the rollout, calling it a “disaster” and saying, “I don’t know if it’s recoverable.”
“He’s very disloyal, but he’s got no personality,” Mr. Trump said of Mr. DeSantis. “And if you don’t have personality, politics is a very hard business.”
Next up for Mr. DeSantis is a return to more traditional campaigning, with planned stops in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, the first three nominating states, from May 30 to June 2. The campaign bills this four-day swing through 12 cities and towns as the first leg of his “Great American Comeback Tour.”
Mr. DeSantis will start with his first in-person event of the campaign in Des Moines on Tuesday. He will remain in Iowa on Wednesday before traveling to New Hampshire on Thursday and to South Carolina on Friday.
“Our campaign is committed to putting in the time to win these early nominating states,” Generra Peck, Mr. DeSantis’s campaign manager, said in a statement.

Campaigning in a presidential primary, especially early on, is usually a grip-and-grin affair.
How Mr. DeSantis interacts with people on the trip will be closely watched. He has had some awkward moments while meeting voters on the trail, leading to mockery from Mr. Trump and other detractors.
Mr. DeSantis is expected to need a victory in Iowa and at least a close second-place finish in New Hampshire to show that he can effectively challenge the former president, especially as other candidates, potentially sensing a political opening for a bid, jump into the race.
On Thursday night, Mr. DeSantis is scheduled to attend a reception with major donors at a hotel in Miami as his team ramps up its fund-raising efforts. Despite the Twitter mishap, his campaign said it had raised more than $1 million online during its first hour on Wednesday night.
Mr. DeSantis’s team had gathered the donors in a conference room at the Four Seasons Miami, in the city’s financial district, to listen to the Twitter Space.
It did not go well at first, according to two attendees. The hotel’s audiovisual system was just as glitchy as the livestream, leaving donors trying to listen on their phones while getting drinks at the bar and chatting among themselves. But the overall mood was one of excitement, the people said.

There's a big difference between saying he would look at the cases and consider pardoning if there was some reason to do it, and giving a blanket statement that he would just pardon everyone sight unseen. If we've learned anything from the Durham report, its that we have seen a weaponization of government and while I'm fine with arresting, prosecuting, and punishing guilty people for their actions on Jan 6, I do want to make sure they receive fair trials, vigorous defense, and just punishment for their guilt if guilty.

There's a big difference between saying he would look at the cases and consider pardoning if there was some reason to do it, and giving a blanket statement that he would just pardon everyone sight unseen. If we've learned anything from the Durham report, its that we have seen a weaponization of government and while I'm fine with arresting, prosecuting, and punishing guilty people for their actions on Jan 6, I do want to make sure they receive fair trials, vigorous defense, and just punishment for their guilt if guilty.
🤡

I think this pardoning feature needs to be eliminated. Pardons for un-American activities, even treason and self-pardoning and such is way outside the conditions foreseen by the Founding Fathers.

Who could have seen such abysmal pieces of shit like the Orange Turd and DieSantis appearing on the horizon?

Wait until Biden floats the idea of a preemptive pardon for his son. The Orange Turd preemptively pardoned dozens of criminals from his circle.

Yeah, and that is pointing directly at what Trump did in office, what DeSantis is doing in Florida, and what Jim Jordan is doing with his committee. Plain as day to see. Glad you pointed it out but I think everyone else is already aware of this.

Yeah, and that is pointing directly at what Trump did in office, what DeSantis is doing in Florida, and what Jim Jordan is doing with his committee. Plain as day to see. Glad you pointed it out but I think everyone else is already aware of this.
I think it was 2 million per pardon according to lead counsel for President Trump, Rudy Giuliani? Or was it just 1 million?

"...some people may have a technical violation of the law, but..."

The party of law and order.

The current party leaders/faces make it impossible to want to be associated with that crap.

How about "...some people may have a technical violation of the law, AND we want to find out why others did the same thing and weren't held accountable, and fix THAT, to make sure the law is applied evenly to hold everyone accountable! The days of selective prosecution would be over, and EVERYONE would know that if you break the law, you'll pay the price!"

Can you tell me which of these happened and was pointed out in the durham lies?

Ron hasn’t done anything in Florida our legislators didn’t put into law.

The current party leaders/faces make it impossible to want to be associated with that crap.

How about "...some people may have a technical violation of the law, AND we want to find out why others did the same thing and weren't held accountable, and fix THAT, to make sure the law is applied evenly to hold everyone accountable! The days of selective prosecution would be over, and EVERYONE would know that if you break the law, you'll pay the price!"
You’re a better speech writer than the one he has.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

then you would be racist

then you would be racist
Not if you could prove the equal application. People can try to label you what they want, but if you have the facts on your side, then you can dispute their claims. It's when the laws are applied unequally - esp when there's proof - that there's a problem. And a bigger problem when laws are applied unequally at the local level, and it's not identified and addressed at the state or national level.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Not if you could prove the equal application. People can try to label you what they want, but if you have the facts on your side, then you can dispute their claims. It's when the laws are applied unequally - esp when there's proof - that there's a problem. And a bigger problem when laws are applied unequally at the local level, and it's not identified and addressed at the state or national level.
if only the majority of our society thought like you

• Sad
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Ron hasn’t done anything in Florida our legislators didn’t put into law.
Then they are complicit too. The whole "conservative party" is enabling DeSantis, and I use the term conservative as a pejorative. Florida is entering a territory we maybe haven't seen since the Civil War, and DeSantis is at the forefront of it.

Does Joe pardon his crack head son before leaving office?
If I lost re-election there’s no way my son doesn’t get a pardon. That’s me. Not Joe. I’d absolutely pardon my son for what will probably be a failure to fill out a form correctly.

You aren't.
world of warcraft legion GIF

I have long thought that saying that you would pardon Trump was the “Trump” card for some traitor to get Trumps backing. Didn’t want to say it and give them the idea

Then they are complicit too. The whole "conservative party" is enabling DeSantis, and I use the term conservative as a pejorative. Florida is entering a territory we maybe haven't seen since the Civil War, and DeSantis is at the forefront of it.
It’s pretty freaking awesome too

So, the people vote for their representatives, because they say they’ll uphold the values and policies you support… then they win office and actually do the things you sent them their to do… and that’s a problem? Everywhere else in the world, that might be called democracy…. Why do you hate democracy?

He is catering to the Trumpsters should he somehow get the republican nomination. Everyone knows you crush your rivals if you are an authoritarian. I don’t believe a word of any of it.

Say what you will about fords pardon of Nixon, but for better or worse, I think it ultimately helped us to get past the trickster.

Problem is, somehow I just don’t see it helping us move forward in the case of trump. I suppose that’s because I just don’t see trump sailing off into the sunset. Again, the trickster was a lot of bad things, but twice in his life he stepped aside to let the country move forward.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Say what you will about fords pardon of Nixon, but for better or worse, I think it ultimately helped us to get past the trickster.

Problem is, somehow I just don’t see it helping us move forward in the case of trump. I suppose that’s because I just don’t see trump sailing off into the sunset. Again, the trickster was a lot of bad things, but twice in his life he stepped aside to let the country move forward.
Unfortunately, Trump doesn’t know how to just go away. If he was a real leader, he would tell his supporters he’s done what he can do, that he’s too polarizing to win a national election, and that it’s up to the people of this country to “MAGA”

Reactions: Aardvark86
Does Joe pardon his crack head son before leaving office?

Does the Orange Turd pardon himself for the who knows how many crimes he'll be convicted if he is reelected?

He already pardoned a shitload of sleaze ball criminals far worse than you wingers favorite punching bag.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Absolutely no one outside of Radical Right media and a few MAGA care about Hunter Biden.

I doubt Biden loses one vote because of his son.

No, but it gives Scrud and his buddies some food for thought around the camp fire.

Pretty pathetic.

Reactions: MitchLL
No, but it gives Scrud and his buddies some food for thought around the camp fire.

Pretty pathetic.
While Hunter might be a terrible human being, none of that matters when it comes to how Merica functions or it's future.

Republicans have tried for nearly three years to make him a factor in how voters view the WH. Voters simply don't care, but if Radical Right media wants to continue wasting their time talking about him...that's their problem.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT