ADVERTISEMENT

Dienhart's top 25 B1G games of 2017

ichawk24

HR Legend
Nov 21, 2005
http://btn.com/2017/07/17/dienhart-here-are-my-top-25-big-ten-games-of-2017/

7. Ohio State at Iowa, Nov. 4. The Hawkeyes and OSU haven’t met since 2013. The Buckeyes are motivated in 2017 after failing to win the Big Ten East each of the last two years. Ohio State has won the last five meetings vs. Iowa. The Hawkeyes’ last win? A 33-7 romp in Iowa City in 2004 engineered by Drew Tate. Before that, Iowa hadn’t toppled the Buckeyes since 1991 when Matt Rodgers quarterbacked the Hawkeyes.

11. Penn State at Iowa, Sept. 23. Penn State heads to Iowa in a very interesting game that is the Big Ten opener for each school. The Nittany Lions have won three in a row vs. the Hawkeyes and won the last time in Iowa City in 2012. Still, Iowa is a difficult out in Kinnick Stadium. This will be a great test for the defending Big Ten champion Nittany Lions.

13. Iowa at Wisconsin, Nov. 11. If Wisconsin wants to repeat as Big Ten West champs, the Badgers probably will need to take down Iowa when it visits. Wisconsin is 6-3 in the last nine meetings vs. the Hawkeyes. This will be only the second meeting in Madison between these foes since 2009 in a close series that Wisconsin leads 45-43-2.

15. Iowa at Nebraska, Nov. 24. The Hawkeyes have won the last two meetings and three of the last four in this Black Friday affair. If the Cornhuskers want to move up the pecking order of the Big Ten West, they need to start beating Iowa, which will have a new QB.

18. Iowa at Northwestern, Oct. 21. An underrated Big Ten rivalry, these two have only played once in Evanston since 2012. The Wildcats have a veteran squad led by QB Clayton Thorson and RB Justin Jackson. By mid-October, the Hawkeyes should be settled at the quarterback spot, and the d-line and secondary should be developed, too.

20. Minnesota at Iowa, Oct. 28. Three words: Floyd. Of. Rosedale. Is there a better rivalry trophy in the galaxy? Nope. The Hawkeyes have won four of the last five battles for the bronze pig and 12 of 16, but freshly minted Minnesota coach P.J. Fleck is a new dynamic.

Good stuff, thanks. Will the night games NOT be announced until early September?

Night games can now be announced as late as 12 days before the game, as part of the new ESPN/FOX TV deal. Also, the total number of B1G night games rises from 18 to 30 as part of the deal. So we'll see more night games.

I'm wondering how many night games will be announced well ahead of time, and how many will be part of the 12 day selection window.

I would bet everything that PSU will be a night game. OSU probably.

My odds:
PSU 99.8%
OSU 75%
Minnesota 50% (OSU/PSU already announced as 330ET)
Purdue 1%

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
For enhanced context, Dienhart might have mentioned these Iowa-Ohio State facts:

* Ohio State and Iowa were tied at 24 entering the fourth quarter in Columbus before the Buckeyes escaped with a 34-24 win in 2013.

* Iowa led most of the 2010 game in Iowa City before Ohio State won 20-17 after picking up a third and 23 on a QB scramble with about a minute to play.

* Iowa, with a QB making his first career start, took OSU into OT in Columbus in 2009 before finally falling 27-24.

Given those facts, the Ohio State dominance of Iowa looks quite a bit less dominant...even in Columbus.

Good stuff, thanks. Will the night games NOT be announced until early September?

I was in Kinnick for the 33-7 beatdown of OSU and it was glorious! Those types of games are few and far between, we caught them in a down year with a new QB and Tate was on fire that day. Was unseasonably cold for an October game in Kinnick!

I was there, too, that day. I was just hoping that Iowa wouldn't embarrass themselves before the game started (and damn was it cold as hell that day!). Iowa hadn't beaten Ohio State since 1991 at that point so playing OSU close seemed like the best way to at least lose respectably. I did not see the beatdown coming, especially the third quarter explosion. It was awesome. I'll never forget it.

EDIT: People forget that the expectations for Iowa at that point were not very good. They had gotten destroyed by ASU, were only 3-2 against mostly weak competition, and Tate was a true sophomore, talented but inexperienced. It was a stunner.

For enhanced context, Dienhart might have mentioned these Iowa-Ohio State facts:

* Ohio State and Iowa were tied at 24 entering the fourth quarter in Columbus before the Buckeyes escaped with a 34-24 win in 2013.

* Iowa led most of the 2010 game in Iowa City before Ohio State won 20-17 after picking up a third and 23 on a QB scramble with about a minute to play.

* Iowa, with a QB making his first career start, took OSU into OT in Columbus in 2009 before finally falling 27-24.

Given those facts, the Ohio State dominance of Iowa looks quite a bit less dominant...even in Columbus.

I'm 45 years old...Iowa has exactly 4 wins over OSU in my lifetime...

I've been to all but two games since 2001.

The 2004 OSU game was the giddiest I've ever seen the crowd. The I-O-W-A chants went on forever, people screaming in delirious delight.

Reactions: cidsports
I was there, too, that day. I was just hoping that Iowa wouldn't embarrass themselves before the game started (and damn was it cold as hell that day!). Iowa hadn't beaten Ohio State since 1991 at that point so playing OSU close seemed like the best way to at least lose respectably. I did not see the beatdown coming, especially the third quarter explosion. It was awesome. I'll never forget it.

EDIT: People forget that the expectations for Iowa at that point were not very good. They had gotten destroyed by ASU, were only 3-2 against mostly weak competition, and Tate was a true sophomore, talented but inexperienced. It was a stunner.
Back when the majority of the fans were just happy to be at Kinnick and see Iowa do good.

Reactions: Eternal Return
I've been to all but two games since 2001.

The 2004 OSU game was the giddiest I've ever seen the crowd. The I-O-W-A chants went on forever, people screaming in delirious delight.
I felt a little like this that day...
2001-hampton-iowa-state.jpg

Reactions: ichawk24

The only dominance that matters is in the W/L column. OSU has dominated Iowa there. Nothing to sugar coat.

Well, sure, it's all about winning, but "dominance" has many aspects. You can dominate by blowing people out 63-0 on a regular basis, which I submit is a far different thing than Iowa's recent experience with Ohio State.

For instance, when Fry's Iowa teams won 15 straight over that team from Ames, often by four or five TDs, THAT was TOTAL dominance. And that's NOT what the recent history has been between Iowa and Ohio State. To me, that's a distinction worth noting.

I flew back for the Oh St game but almost cancelled the trip. I was in Tempe for the Az St beat down a few weeks earlier & wasn't that excited for the OSU game after that. Glad I still went!

ASU was probably the hottest Iowa game day that I've experienced & a few weeks later OSU was probably the coldest Iowa game day that I've experienced!

Reactions: Eternal Return
The only dominance that matters is in the W/L column. OSU has dominated Iowa there. Nothing to sugar coat.

BULL HOCKEY ALMOST WINNING IS ALMOST THE SAME AS WINNING, GUY. I CHEER FOR MY HAWKEYES BECAUSE THEY ALMOST WIN A LOT OF GAMES. DO NOT TRY TO TAKE THIS FROM ME.

Back when the majority of the fans were just happy to be at Kinnick and see Iowa do good.

It also came on the heels of two great seasons so there was a little forgiveness of struggles early that year, especially with the RB injuries, but Tate did entice fans and that was his breakout game. Hell of a season, capped off by the most dramatic play in Hawkeye football history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT