ADVERTISEMENT

Diesel pickups should be banned. Discuss

Feb 9, 2013
Help me understand why these are allowed.

I was on the interstate yesterday behind a douche driving a big diesel pickup, driving aggressively and weaving in and out. Yes, that guy - I’m sure you can picture him, and if not, look in the mirror.

Anyway, every time he accelerated a giant cloud of black smoke came out and smogged up the interstate. For miles, he got further ahead, every 30 seconds I’d see what looked like an explosion of black smoke that would linger as we all then drove through it.

Wtf? Why do we bother with emissions controls yet have these disgusting vehicles on the roads? What am I missing here?

My guess is you actually got behind a Coal Roller who screwed up his engine to be able to do that.
Could be, but I’ve seen it many times before. Are they all messing with their trucks in this manner?

This was a fancy truck - not a junker.

There are post market chips you can install to make that black smoke. Kills fuel mileage and is hard on the engine. They are already against the rules. As someone said, TPS at its finest.

This kind of reminds me of a guy I worked with. He was little different and didn't have a ton of friends but was nice so I befriended him. Anyway I had him on SnapChat and he would always post a story of the gas pump when he filled up his diesel truck with quotes like "just filled 'er up" and "topping off the beast" and it was constantly like $125+. I never saw the appeal in that and still don't. Honestly spending $50 to fill your tank and using the other $75 for PowerBall tickets is a better investment.

I was on the interstate yesterday behind a douche driving a big diesel pickup, driving aggressively and weaving in and out. Yes, that guy - I’m sure you can picture him, and if not, look in the mirror.

Anyway, every time he accelerated a giant cloud of black smoke came out and smogged up the interstate. For miles, he got further ahead, every 30 seconds I’d see what looked like an explosion of black smoke that would linger as we all then drove through it.

Wtf? Why do we bother with emissions controls yet have these disgusting vehicles on the roads? What am I missing here?
You are not missing anything . They are missing a lot of things.

First of all, the prick driver controls the aggressive driving. That's not the trucks fault.

Second, said prick driver isn't taking care of his truck. That's not the trucks fault either.

If you want to ban prick drivers that don't take care of their vehicles, I'm in.

I'm honestly surprised diesel-powered cars are still widely used today. If nothing else, would have expected to see them relegated almost entirely to trucking companies. Seems like the avg truck wouldn't need a diesel engine.

I'm honestly surprised diesel-powered cars are still widely used today. If nothing else, would have expected to see them relegated almost entirely to trucking companies. Seems like the avg truck wouldn't need a diesel engine.
Ya but without diesel trucks how would they be able to show their supremacy?

coal GIF

Most of the 3500 (1 ton) and up rated diesels need to be relegated to commercial or agricultural usage only. They are very long lived and reliable tools if used properly. I talked with a guy yesterday who has over 350K mikes on the Dodge 550 he hauls antiques and art with nationwide.
The clown half ton drivers with the chips should be charged massive registration fees commiserate with dangerous hazardous waste producers.

This kind of reminds me of a guy I worked with. He was little different and didn't have a ton of friends but was nice so I befriended him. Anyway I had him on SnapChat and he would always post a story of the gas pump when he filled up his diesel truck with quotes like "just filled 'er up" and "topping off the beast" and it was constantly like $125+. I never saw the appeal in that and still don't. Honestly spending $50 to fill your tank and using the other $75 for PowerBall tickets is a better investment.

Reactions: ButtersHawk

Why? Secret, this is your Americanism showing. We have been led to believe the myth about "dirty diesels". It's inaccurate based on "big unleaded" lies and that diesel has historically (in America) been used for commercial uses so was considered dirty. Misinformation. Diesels are more durable, last longer, fewer components (reliable), make more power and are actually cleaner. Transportation of diesel fuel is safer by far.

Its the illegal tuning for the meat heads who roll coal that should be punished.

Diesel powered cars are typically much better for ownership over the length of the cars and, esp with FI make a lot more power with smaller displacement.

Last edited:
Have a diesel Mercedes sprinter van motorhome. Love it. The use of DEF makes it very clean. The diesel engine provides greater torque than would a gas engine.

Don’t throw the baby (diesel) out with the bath water (said prick driver).

Why? Secret, this is your Americanism showing. We have been led to believe the myth about "dirty diesels". It's inaccurate based on "big unleaded" lies and that diesel has historically (in America) been used for commercial uses so was considered dirty. Misinformation. Diesels are more durable, last longer, fewer components (reliable), make more power and are actually cleaner. Transportation of diesel fuel is safer by far.

Its the illegal tuning for the meat heads who roll coal that should be punished.

Diesel powered cars are typically much better for ownership over the length of the cars and, esp with FI make a lot more power with smaller displacement.
Actually I’d just assumed that as non-diesel engines got better they’d prove to be more efficient and better quality than a diesel engine.

I don’t pretend to know anything of substance about cars.

This. Anybody that has actually considered a diesel vehicle over gasoline would know.

Actually I’d just assumed that as non-diesel engines got better they’d prove to be more efficient and better quality than a diesel engine.

I don’t pretend to know anything of substance about cars.

Like I said, US consumers are very misinformed about this topic. "Dirty diesel" has been a theme here for a long time.

I'm sure he plants a lot of trees to offset his carbon emissions, that's how the rich justify their private planes and yachts

My son bought a diesel Silverado in December. He didn't mod it for rolling coal. That engine will probably outlive every other part on the car.

This is very fair.
I purposely left out cars and commercial vehicles. Strictly talking about recreational diesel pickups trucks.

But I agree. Is there a way to ban these conversion kits or whatever the coal rollers use? I’d impound their trucks.

That guy got a tune that allows him to do that. Lots of guys get a tuner that has several settings ranging from increased fuel mileage to coal rolling horsepower gains. All by turning a knob. He can pick another setting and not smoke and get increased economy over factory as well. Don't blame diesels. They get far better fuel economy and last far longer than their gasoline counterparts when comparing torque to torque or horsepower to horsepower. I've got a diesel truck with 350k that likely has a lot of miles left in it. You can't do that with a gasser.

The association with interest in a "not needed" pickup truck shouldn't be associated with some issue of masculinity. Stupid take.

Moreso a toy, a hobby, and the ”it looks cool" factor
Just messin man I just personally don't see the appeal of having to take out a loan every time you want to fill your tank or the size and noise. I totally get the angle of owning one if you farm or something but I don't get owning one if you drive to your cushy office job then drive it right back home to your house in the Dakota Dunes or Whispering Creek.

That guy got a tune that allows him to do that. Lots of guys get a tuner that has several settings ranging from increased fuel mileage to coal rolling horsepower gains. All by turning a knob. He can pick another setting and not smoke and get increased economy over factory as well. Don't blame diesels. They get far better fuel economy and last far longer than their gasoline counterparts when comparing torque to torque or horsepower to horsepower. I've got a diesel truck with 350k that likely has a lot of miles left in it. You can't do that with a gasser.
Yeah, I get what you are saying.

Maybe I should start a new thread
“Can we ban douchebags?”

This is very fair.
I purposely left out cars and commercial vehicles. Strictly talking about recreational diesel pickups trucks.

But I agree. Is there a way to ban these conversion kits or whatever the coal rollers use? I’d impound their trucks.

It's like @HawkinK.C.1 said, its a plug n play tuner that can be updated on the fly.

As of 2022, however, only six states have laws expressly banning rolling coal: Colorado, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, and Utah

Laws are slow to keep up with the nefarious activity. Outside of the red ball caps, it's hard to identify douchebags in general.

Used to be Diesel cost was less than gas years ago.
Does the better millage make up the difference between gas and diesel cost nowadays?

Reactions: Gimmered
Just messin man I just personally don't see the appeal of having to take out a loan every time you want to fill your tank or the size and noise. I totally get the angle of owning one if you farm or something but I don't get owning one if you drive to your cushy office job then drive it right back home to your house in the Dakota Dunes or Whispering Creek.
I just see the comment so often that I figure people really believe it.

You could certainly criticize them on the basis of cost and gas mileage.

I got a nice used Toyota a while back for 18k. Going to add a camper to it soon for travels out west.

But yeah, it's insane what people spend now.

You leave things mostly factory many of them will get around 20 on the highway... But trick them out and it's a different story. Terrible daily driver

Reactions: ButtersHawk
I just see the comment so often that I figure people really believe it.

You could certainly criticize them on the basis of cost and gas mileage.

I got a nice used Toyota a while back for 18k. Going to add a camper to it soon for travels out west.

But yeah, it's insane what people spend now.

You leave things mostly factory many of them will get around 20 on the highway... But trick them out and it's a different story. Terrible daily driver
That was the other thing I forgot to mention. Totally get it if you pull a camper and like to go to camping lots and such. Like I said I just personally don't get it when I see people I know driving them around in town all jacked up. Especially when I personally know for a fact despite the cowboys boots and hat they live in Sioux City, not a rural suburb. But its a free country.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT