ADVERTISEMENT

Dinosaurs

So I just got stoned and watched this documentary In dinosaurs. I am in awe right now.

How crazy are dinosaurs? They ruled the world for 170 million years and were massive beasts.
Maybe consider getting less stoned? If you must get this stoned, refrain from posting. HROT thanks you.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
So I just got stoned and watched this documentary In dinosaurs. I am in awe right now.

How crazy are dinosaurs? They ruled the world for 170 million years and were massive beasts.
Aren't you a family man with this handle? Getting stoned and watching dinosaur movies seems odd for a guy with a young kid and a wife to spend time with on the 4th.
Just trying to figure things out here.

When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
giphy.gif

You can tell who is old and has that weed is bad thinking ingrained in their head. I had no idea Kim Reynolds and @lucas80 had the same thoughts on weed.

Reactions: Rudolph
The Therapods are still with us—they’re birds now.

Yep. If I had been independently wealthy ie a rich brat who didn’t have to worry about getting paid, I would have been a paleontologist.

But there have been a lot of major advancements in our knowledge of the ancient world recently. And formally acknowledging that birds are theropods and vice versa is just part of it.

What I find most interesting is that the end of the Permian ie the “Age of Reptiles” the dominant life forms were not reptiles but an ancient form of mammals that were warmblooded, lifebirths and had fur/hair that looked like this.

lycaenops-was-prehistoric-therapsid-mammal-like-reptile-lived-permian-period-63462456.jpg

1-mammalsuniqu.jpg

Then when the Permian extinction event happened (which we still don’t REALLY know what triggered it), it was essentially the most devastating of all extinction events with almost 99% of existing lifeforms getting killed off and all of the bigger mammals/therapsids died off except for a little Weasley/ratty looking guy that is our distant but direct ancestor the cynodont.

bonacynodon.jpg

Mammals/therapsids didn’t become dominant again until after the Cretaceous event killed off the larger dinosaurs. Meanwhile, the only ancestors of modern reptiles and the dinosaurs/birds that survived whatever the terrible Permian extinction event was were also small. But in the following Triassic it wasn’t the birds/dinosaurs that reigned even though “they” always include the Triassic as part of the “Age of Dinosaurs”. The only dinosaurs/birds in the Triassic were tiny little guys with some primitive feathers like coelophysis.

coelophysis-bauri-coelophysidae-late-triassic-some-scientist-belive-F02FNN.jpg

Meanwhile the true dominant species in the Triassic were giant cousins of modern reptiles. They weren’t ancestors because like the majority of the therapsids/early mammals they died off during the Triassic extinction event and only small little reptiles survived to become modern crocodilians and other reptiles. But guys like Postosuchus here were the true terrors of the Triassic not the little dinosaurs/birds and they actually DO look like how the average person still thinks dinosaurs looked.

40792693961_980d99d97a_b.jpg

postosuchus-triassic-era-archosaurs-in-prehistoric-landscape-PFPHPD.jpg

Even the big vegetarians in the Triassic were distant cousins of the modern reptiles OR like this Lisowicia, giant versions of the cynodont/early mammals.

lisowicia_by_prehistorybyliam_dcyorbd-pre.jpg

D2qvZ1cXQAI7e0l.jpg

But just like every major extinction event, the Triassic Extinction event killed off the large herbivorous mammals and the frightening giant meat-eating ancient reptiles and again the only survivors were the little guys like the early dinosaur/birds, the little rat and weaselike mammals that wouldn’t have been much different than cynodont and the small ancestors of the modern reptiles.

It’s only in the Jurassic and Cretaceous that dinosaurs/birds truly ruled the world along with some now extinct warmblooded “reptiles” in the air and the sea.

Of course the Cretaceous extinction event (which that one we do know, a large meteor) killed off all of the larger dinosaur species and only the little birds survived, but it’s looking more and more like all dinosaurs did not have true scales but scutes like the lower legs and feet of birds and feathers. Even the large sauropods and horned ceratopsians like Triceratops had feathers.

fuzzy-apato-juvenile-by-niroot.jpg

The ceratopsians even had prickly quill like feathers for extra defense.

b9c5902132ad11d133ab032aff9f0c28.jpg

What’s most interesting about the little theropods that are the direct ancestors of birds is that not only do we know they had feathers and a lot of them could fly whether with two wings or in some cases four

_76258953_c0099727-microraptor_gui_di.jpg

BUT that they were brilliantly coloured. Scientists can now detect pigment in the fossilised feathers and some of them were iridescent blue like the modern peacocks.

microraptor_gui.gif

And one had iridescent feathers in a rainbow of colors before going to a shiny black like a crow.

694940094001_5712026927001_5712006991001-vs.jpg

And T-Rex? It hasn’t been definitively found with feathers to my knowledge but other VERY large theropods near its size found in China not only DID have feathers but hunted in packs of different ages as three were found next to each other in an ancient flood area and it had a likely full size adult, a midsize “teenager” and a smaller juvenile only a year or so old.

y_huali.jpg

Another interesting thing found recently is not only did evolution give four wings a try with dinosaurs/birds for awhile but at least one species had feathers AND batskinlike wings. It was called Ambopteryx.

batwings.jpg

08TB-DINOBAT1-articleLarge.jpg

D6EgPIiXkAA3n34.jpg

Saw that a couple of years ago......that asteroid hit the ONE place on Earth that turned it into an ELE. Anywhere else and the rise of mammals would have never happened.

It is so wild to me how everything to the finest detail had to work out starting with the Big Bang to the asteroid hitting in the perfect place on earth to allow us to be top of the food chain. #science

I kinda wanna watch dinosaur stuff now.

Hahaha, yah I have delved deep into the dinosaur world as of late. It still boggles my mind that they are that big and ruled the world for millions of years and then the earth went through a crazy transformation that lasted 10s of thousands of years.

Reactions: pink shizzle
Natural history museums should be pushing for the legalization of weed, and on a parallel track working on marketing and advertising strategies, exploring possible partnerships, developing concepts for experience packages, etc.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Natural history museums should be pushing for the legalization of weed, and on a parallel track working on marketing and advertising strategies, exploring possible partnerships, developing concepts for experience packages, etc.

Sounds like a great idea and would make tonz of money. Imagine watching WW2 in color at the IMAX high?

Saw that a couple of years ago......that asteroid hit the ONE place on Earth that turned it into an ELE. Anywhere else and the rise of mammals would have never happened.

And the Cretaceous ELE was pretty “mild” for an ELE. “Only” about 17% of families and 80% of species died off. Meanwhile the Permian ELE or “Great Dying” killed off 57% of families and 96% of species. The Permian is the closest we came to losing all life on Earth and we really don’t know why. It does seem to be a slow event that happened over 200,000 years rather than in an instant like the Cretaceous meteor. Makes you wonder if any of those Permian mammals were intelligent and killed off the Earth the way we are heading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT