ADVERTISEMENT

DirecTV agrees to buy satellite rival Dish

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
DirecTV unveiled plans Monday to buy Dish Network, bringing together two satellite TV rivals at a time when both are rapidly losing market share to streaming platforms.
Under the terms of the deal, DirectTV will pay a nominal consideration of $1 and assume billions of dollars in debt held by Dish owner EchoStar. The deal also would transfer majority ownership of DirectTV from AT&T to the private equity firm TPG Capital, which took a 30 percent stake in 2021.

Get a curated selection of 10 of our best stories in your inbox every weekend.

The two companies said the deal will improve the viability of satellite television by allowing them to potentially cut at least $1 billion in costs and deliver lower prices for consumers.
The combined company will be better able to “work with programmers to realize our vision for the future of TV, which is to aggregate, curate, and distribute content tailored to customers’ interests,” DirecTV chief executive Bill Morrow said in a statement, as well as help it realize “operating efficiencies.”

The two companies said they expect the deal to close in the fourth quarter of 2025.

Both satellite providers have struggled to grow as Americans embraced cord-cutting amid a proliferation of streaming platforms such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon Prime and Hulu, which offer lower prices than cable. (Amazon founder Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.)
DirectTV was thought to have around 11.3 million subscribers at the end of 2023, according to an estimate from Fitch Ratings. That’s a 25 percent drop from the 15.1 million reported in 2014, when AT&T bought the TV provider for $47.1 billion.
The EchoStar deal would bring about 6 million more subscribers from Dish, along with about 2 million from Sling TV, according to recent EchoStar regulatory filings.

EchoStar has an estimated $21.6 billion in debt, according to a Monday investor presentation, and about $500 million in cash to fund its operations. Under the deal announced Monday, DirectTV would assume about $9.75 billion in debt, but the deal is contingent on reducing the aggregate principal of that debt by at least $1.56 billion, according to the two companies. The company’s debt-holders would have to sign off on that plan before the merger can move forward, with DirectTV and Dish retaining the right to walk away from the deal.
The deal has already been approved by both companies’ boards of directors but still requires sign-off from regulators. An attempt to merge DirecTV and Dish failed in 2002, as the Department of Justice sued to block it over concerns it would reduce competition.

I've tried various streaming in VRBO houses over the years and everything about them sucked. Can't jump to the last station between games without hitting main menu. Picture is always dull looking. Remotes nor user friendly. Nope, not a chance I'd ever leave DT...
You keep enjoying that old ass technology. I bet you have a sweet CD and DVD collection you use on the reg too.

Getting Old Baby Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

“As new subscribers, Dish Network will receive 3 free months of Showtime. DTV will also pay $99 / month for the first year at which point the promo credits will expire and they must call in again to lower their terms.”

• Haha
Reactions: QChawks
I've tried various streaming in VRBO houses over the years and everything about them sucked. Can't jump to the last station between games without hitting main menu. Picture is always dull looking. Remotes nor user friendly. Nope, not a chance I'd ever leave DT...
I assume the switch to the previous channel is a feature built into my google chromecast, but you just hold the select button for a second and it flips back and forth. But, Maybe this is Youtube? either way it works. Picture looks great... guide and interface far superior to DTV. The only thing that takes getting used to is channels have no number so they aren't in some sort of numerical order.

Second time we've agreed this week, end of times... ;)

In 2014, sure.

But in 2018 when it cost me $140 per month for one HD non DVR receiver with nothing but the $10 sports pack for add-ons...see ya.
One of my poorest employees always exclaimed " it doesn't cost anymore to go first class..."

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Hard disagree. I don’t need 350 channels of stuff I’ll never watch. Even my YTTV package has more than I need but the user interface and quad box for sports are so much better.

Remotes will eventually catch up to the technology.
Yeah, the dual box and quad box for sporting events is a game changer.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Um, use a Roku. Also, picture dullness is product of the shit tv in your rental. for YTTV, there is a "back" feature as well. You just push down on the pointer button and it brings it up.

I'm not looking to leave DT. My kid has Roku. No channel numbers on the remote. Back to the menu, live TV, Big X...click. Oh Alabama/Georgia? Back to menu, scroll to live TV, scroll to SEC, Click. DTV? Last channel? Click-instant change. Never. Leave. DT.
Maybe you missed the part where he explained that you can absolutely go to last channel with the push of a button.

I'm not looking to leave DT. My kid has Roku. No channel numbers on the remote. Back to the menu, live TV, Big X...click. Oh Alabama/Georgia? Back to menu, scroll to live TV, scroll to SEC, Click. DTV? Last channel? Click-instant change. Never. Leave. DT.
Pro tip: for YTTV, you can organize the channels as you please. So if you watch the major networks, the ESPNs, and some sports networks, you can make those the first 10 channels you see. Also the "home" screen for YTTV has all of the games and they are right there. It is fantastic product.

Last edited:
Pro tip: for YTTV, you can organize the channels as you please. So if you watch the major networks, the ESPNs, and some sports networks, you can make those the first 10 channels you see. Also on the "home" screen for YTTV has all of the games are right there. It is fantastic product.
You have to do this on a laptop or desk top to arrange the channels in the manner in which you want them. Can’t do it on your tv screen with the remote.

Also, if you have new TV’s, you can use the tv remote to “change the channels”. Or if like me, have one 60” Samsung, one 60” LG, and one 60” Sony tv in your bar area to watch three different games at once. Suck it poors!

Ok, if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor, err provider. I can push 9, then 3, then 218 to check golf, 610 to check Big X etc. No menu, no graphics just an Instant change of the channel to the number on the remote. Picture is flawless, not hazy...
Cool Cool Cool GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

I can just push the down button and scroll through all the networks while the show I’m watching is still playing.

Ok, if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor, err provider. I can push 9, then 3, then 218 to check golf, 610 to check Big X etc. No menu, no graphics just an Instant change of the channel to the number on the remote. Picture is flawless, not hazy...
You need to get your eyes checked. Directv compresses the shit out of their broadcasts making it look grainy when it should be spectacular crispness. You get a much purer picture with YTTV.

Pro tip: for YTTV, you can organize the channels as you please. So if you watch the major networks, the ESPNs, and some sports networks, you can make those the first 10 channels you see. Also the "home" screen for YTTV has all of the games and they are right there. It is fantastic product.
Yup before I went to illegal streaming I had YTTV and liked it. If I'm forced to pay monthly for TV again I'd go back to YT and not think twice about it.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Quit cyber-bulling me you bastards! You'll get my DT remote when you pry it out of my cold dead hand...
Just trying to help a brother see the light. I had DTV for over 10 years after having cable for the previous 10. I was all in on the ecosystem and I generally HATE change. I finally took the plunge after the picture went out during a storm for the last time and never looked back. The only caveat is you need to have a robust internet connection, speeds, and data. Most people have all 3 in spades. The savings aren't quite what they used to be but my bill went from about 230 a month to 65. Now it's about 85, but I'm sure DTV has gone up too. People decry there are no savings cutting the cord anymore with the fracturing of content on various platforms, but they would be paying for them anyway whether they have DTV, Dish, YTTV, or something else.

You have to do this on a laptop or desk top to arrange the channels in the manner in which you want them. Can’t do it on your tv screen with the remote.

Also, if you have new TV’s, you can use the tv remote to “change the channels”. Or if like me, have one 60” Samsung, one 60” LG, and one 60” Sony tv in your bar area to watch three different games at once. Suck it poors!
You can do it on your phone.

My entire family is on my YTTV account. They can all set their own channel lineup.
When we went to Ohio last week and stayed in an AirBnB I logged into my YTTV account and it brought up my lineup.
Went to the wedding and used the app on my phone to keep track of games.

You can do it on your phone.

My entire family is on my YTTV account. They can all set their own channel lineup.
When we went to Ohio last week and stayed in an AirBnB I logged into my YTTV account and it brought up my lineup.
Went to the wedding and used the app on my phone to keep track of games.
Whenever we vacation we take our roku with us, which has YTTV, netflix, etc. Works just fine on free hotel wifi. You can also watch on your phone or ipad, as you note. It murders DTV in every possible way except not having numbers assigned to the channels.

Have you ever missed a big moment in a game because of the weather? Or not been able to watch tv for 2-3 hrs because it is raining? I have. Never had any such problems since switching to youtube.

Whenever we vacation we take our roku with us, which has YTTV, netflix, etc. Works just fine on free hotel wifi. You can also watch on your phone or ipad, as you note. It murders DTV in every possible way except not having numbers assigned to the channels.
Love watching YouTubeTV at home but when I’m on vaca, tv takes a backseat to all else or I’ll watch on my phone which is nice, unless I’m out of the US as you can’t watch YTTV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT