ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Discrimination Lawsuits Dismissed Against Iowa Football Coaches

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Neither side has commented on the dismissals, so there is still context missing for what steps are expected next by each party.

Unlike Wallace's dismissal, which is effectively permanent, the latest dismissals are "without prejudice," so they are not part of a settlement and can still be refiled. However, many of the claims of the lawsuit were being challenged by the plaintiffs due to the alleged expiration of the statute of limitations before the original filing; a refiling would only subject more of the former players' claims to that challenge.

On Thursday, February 23, Magistrate Judge Helen Adams entered an order requiring the plaintiffs to respond to all pending motions, including motions for summary judgment by the now-dismissed defendants, by March 10, 2023. Defendants are frequently dismissed from lawsuits after completion of a settlement between the parties, but there is no indication from any party that a settlement has been reached here yet, and the dismissal without prejudice would be somewhat unusual as part of a finalized settlement.

Discrimination Lawsuits Dismissed Against Iowa Football Coaches

segundo-sol-novela.gif

Yowza. This type of thing is allowed to be said on here Adam Jacobi? Yet you send me a DM because your local wack job Herkyfan goes unchecked on here? Go **** yourself and remove me from this dump of a message board. PS THIS SHIT is going on message board geniuses.

Dodge? Ford?

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Yowza. This type of thing is allowed to be said on here Adam Jacobi? Yet you send me a DM because your local wack job Herkyfan goes unchecked on here? Go **** yourself and remove me from this dump of a message board. PS THIS SHIT is going on message board geniuses.
You know you don't have to come here.... Just saying that is an option. But if you want to police message boards the cess pool known as cyclone fanatic is a good place to start.

Sorry, am I supposed to come over and take the site out of your bookmarks? What's the request here?

Sorry, am I supposed to come over and take the site out of your bookmarks? What's the request here?
He must be held against his will with eyes stuck open being forced to read!

And can we get the Batshit Insanity piece added here? Missed that from BHGP days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bishop1971
Very happy that the University did not settle this case.
It is premature to say this. The University still might settle, as the voluntary dismissals were of Kirk, Brian, Gary Barta, and Chris Doyle. The University remains a defendant. So there are two possible explanations: (1) the plaintiffs recognized the weakness of their case against the individual defendants, or (2) dismissing the individual defendants makes a settlement easier because there are fewer parties that have to agree to it.

I have not read the deposition excerpts or summary judgment motions myself. I respect the lawyer posters who have, so I tend to think that the weakness of the case against the individual defendants is the major factor. But it would also facilitate settlement, as the University is more likely to care about getting this behind them than they care about vindicating Brian Ferentz, Chris Doyle, et al.

It is premature to say this. The University still might settle, as the voluntary dismissals were of Kirk, Brian, Gary Barta, and Chris Doyle. The University remains a defendant. So there are two possible explanations: (1) the plaintiffs recognized the weakness of their case against the individual defendants, or (2) dismissing the individual defendants makes a settlement easier because there are fewer parties that have to agree to it.

I have not read the deposition excerpts or summary judgment motions myself. I respect the lawyer posters who have, so I tend to think that the weakness of the case against the individual defendants is the major factor. But it would also facilitate settlement, as the University is more likely to care about getting this behind them than they care about vindicating Brian Ferentz, Chris Doyle, et al.
If the University does settle, it would have to be a disclosed amount, correct?

Does the heat crank up for Barta regardless of the amount?

Message board geniuses loves cryclown fanatic and isu fans. Keeps them in business.

This. IMO, its #2. Coaches want to save face, U of I doesnt really care and wants it behind them. Plus, the U of I probably has insurance for HR suits that will handle this and settle. The coaches likely do not.

If the University does settle, it would have to be a disclosed amount, correct?

Does the heat crank up for Barta regardless of the amount?
Since it is a state institution I would think so. I think any and all spending would be for public consumption.

Reactions: kwik44
This. IMO, its #2. Coaches want to save face, U of I doesnt really care and wants it behind them. Plus, the U of I probably has insurance for HR suits that will handle this and settle. The coaches likely do not.
I would be surprised if the coaches don't have some type of umbrella insurance that would cover this.

I would be surprised if the coaches don't have some type of umbrella insurance that would cover this.
From what I have heard on a few podcast, the Ferentz family has their own legal team. Smart move there. Not sure if the U of I is covering the cost of that. In terms of a settlement, the Ferentz wont want any part of a settlement. They would rather fight it and lose because settling looks just as bad.

Correct. I feel like the story at the top of this thread is misleading. No judge dismissed any of these cases. Based on what I understand, the plaintiffs simply voluntarily removed the individual defendants, likely to facilitate a possible settlement with the university. This has been discussed at length in the other thread on this board, as well as in multiple Hawkeye podcasts.

Correct. I feel like the story at the top of this thread is misleading. No judge dismissed any of these cases. Based on what I understand, the plaintiffs simply voluntarily removed the individual defendants, likely to facilitate a possible settlement with the university. This has been discussed at length in the other thread on this board, as well as in multiple Hawkeye podcasts.
I think people understand that well. As Aurora already stated, it's likely a last ditch effort to get anything at all out of settlement due to their case getting ever weaker.

Reactions: Bishop1971
While the U of I wants to put this case behind them, I think it would be a shame if they settled and caved to these malcontents unable to make it in pro ball and looking for an easy buck. Or if the U of I does settle, I hope it's for such a nominal amount that it basically just pays the attorneys and leaves virtually nothing for the plaintiffs.

I understand the preference for settling some nuisance lawsuits for the sake of PR, etc., but I don't think these weasels deserve even the satisfaction of any settlement at all.

While the U of I wants to put this case behind them, I think it would be a shame if they settled and caved to these malcontents unable to make it in pro ball and looking for an easy buck. Or if the U of I does settle, I hope it's for such a nominal amount that it basically just pays the attorneys and leaves virtually nothing for the plaintiffs.

I understand the preference for settling some nuisance lawsuits for the sake of PR, etc., but I don't think these weasels deserve even the satisfaction of any settlement at all.
Screw the $ chasing lawyers.

The ignore feature works wonders on cyclone trolls, like Raid on cockroaches
Raid is really ineffective against cockroaches, if you have a cockroach problem you really should try Bengal Roach spray if you can find it up north. Much more effective!

This is pretty much how any lawsuit that I have been an expert witness for turns out. Settling is usually the path of least resistance and often the cheapest for both sides. Ultimately, there was racial bias found in 2 investigations. However, you have to quantify damages and they have to be significant enough to warrant a lawsuit and trial. That said, does the fact that damages weren't enough mean that there was no racial bias? If I caused harm to you in some way that can't be proven illegal and it caused you a nominal financial loss you can sue me. But, lets say I have the financial means and you do not. You won't get very far in a lawsuit or even find an attorney that will take it very far. But I'm still guilty.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT