ADVERTISEMENT

Dj Johnson narrows it to Iowa and ND.

Admittedly very biased as comparing my favorite team in all of sports to my least favorite team in all of sports. But I don't get the allure to ND anymore. They have a historical name but what does that mean to 16-18 years olds who besides a couple blips in their lives have never seen ND relevant. The coaching stability is as poor at ND as in all of college football. Their coach who is a dead man walking is a nutcase. They haven't done some great job getting kids to the NFL. And the whole NBC TV deal means nothing as it only covers home games and most all games are on TV regardless. Like I said I am biased. But I do think what I stated is accurate which once again is why I don't know why a kid would automatically go to ND over another good program.

Admittedly very biased as comparing my favorite team in all of sports to my least favorite team in all of sports. But I don't get the allure to ND anymore. They have a historical name but what does that mean to 16-18 years olds who besides a couple blips in their lives have never seen ND relevant. The coaching stability is as poor at ND as in all of college football. Their coach who is a dead man walking is a nutcase. They haven't done some great job getting kids to the NFL. And the whole NBC TV deal means nothing as it only covers home games and most all games are on TV regardless. Like I said I am biased. But I do think what I stated is accurate which once again is why I don't know why a kid would automatically go to ND over another good program.

I'm only guessing here...
but I can't help but think because Notre Dame is a Roman Catholic Institution... that they have the blessing of the Pope (Antichrist) and therefore are able operate above the Law....

in other words.... money, hookers, dope... you name it.... whatever the kid wants.. he gets.

I doubt they even have to 'pull' Catholic Priest 'chains' there anymore.

It's the whole cheer for a Catholic School thing. Many people will cheer for ND just because of their religious affiliation so the kids grow up watching ND play and become fans because their parents cheered for them. There were at least 3-4 kids in my graduating class (not big) that were ND fans. Why? Because their parents were.

The parents never gave me a real response when I asked if they were also fans of Boston College.

no no... lets be serious here..

Isaiah 37:16
O Lord of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.
Francis-Jan25-2014sm.jpg

2 Thessalonians 2:4
Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Is that saying Iowa has three cornerbacks on our roster with 0 commits and Notre Dame has eight cornerbacks on the roster with one commit?

Yes, but I'm sure it's a little off. They're projecting the position, each school may have different plans. Even so, that's 6 a player difference to spin. Get Johnson and the younger Tracy brother next year and I'd be pretty encouraged for continued success at CB.

Oh I get the religious deal. That is why they are still a nationwide name. Catholics or people of Irish descent across the US are almost exclusively ND fans. I get it. It is surely not because of the 4 Horsemen or Lou Holtz. But almost no kids on the team are Irish and more than half the kids on the team are not even Catholic.

I grew up in Chicago so have seen first hand how everyone that is Catholic or Irish is a ND fan. So I get how Jimmy O'Shaunnesy, Quinn Sullivan, Danny McCarthey or Billy O'Brien would want to go or have their kids go to ND. But why would a 16-18 old who is not Irish or Catholic want to go there? Not because of recent field results, or draft picks or program stability.

Oh I get the religious deal. That is why they are still a nationwide name. Catholics or people of Irish descent across the US are almost exclusively ND fans. I get it. It is surely not because of the 4 Horsemen or Lou Holtz. But almost no kids on the team are Irish and more than half the kids on the team are not even Catholic.

I grew up in Chicago so have seen first hand how everyone that is Catholic or Irish is a ND fan. So I get how Jimmy O'Shaunnesy, Quinn Sullivan, Danny McCarthey or Billy O'Brien would want to go or have their kids go to ND. But why would a 16-18 old who is not Irish or Catholic want to go there? Not because of recent field results, or draft picks or program stability.

He's from Indiana so he's probably been following them for a long time. They have their own network. The gold helmets. There's no denying that even with its mediocre on-field performance ND is still a very prominent national program. I'm not banking on us landing this kid, but I hope we do.

He's from Indiana so he's probably been following them for a long time. They have their own network. The gold helmets. There's no denying that even with its mediocre on-field performance ND is still a very prominent national program. I'm not banking on us landing this kid, but I hope we do.
What is odd is that Notre Dame, from the '16 class to now - has only had 1 in-state commitment from an in-state kid. I wonder if that is simply ND showing a disregard for in-state talent OR because in-state coaches have a problem with Kelly and Co. In contrast, Iowa has had 2 commits from the state of Indiana (over the same time-period) ... and Iowa is likely to land a few more this year.

Gonzo - good point on the Indiana aspect and I get that they are a national name. I was just saying objectively (even though biased; I understand the oxymoron) there is no reason a kid should be going to ND cause they are ND if the goal is to play for a top level program, with coaching stability, and wanting to play on Sundays.

Gonzo - good point on the Indiana aspect and I get that they are a national name. I was just saying objectively (even though biased; I understand the oxymoron) there is no reason a kid should be going to ND cause they are ND if the goal is to play for a top level program, with coaching stability, and wanting to play on Sundays.
They were ranked #1 and played for the NC in 2013 (2012 season). Not that long ago. But I do also think their star doesn't shine quite as bright.

John - I totally agree. They have had 1-2 great years since these recruits were born, but many more mediocre and some horrid years. That is my point. Somebody posted only a few first rounders in the last how many years, a pretty close to revolving coaching carousel (with a dead man currently walking), and now all games are televised regardless. They went 4-8 last year when they were preseason Top 10 and in the ACC they skipped Clemson, FSU and NC, the 3 best teams in that conference. Dear God, they lost to Texas and MSU (non-bowl teams), Duke, NC St. and Navy. Of course they lost to Va Tech, Stanford and USC. But those "aren't bad losses." They beat exactly 1 bowl team in Miami. And all this total mediocrity without a USC or Miami scandal. In other words, why do they suck even with a hand-picked schedule?

Reactions: thirteenandtwo
John - I totally agree. They have had 1-2 great years since these recruits were born, but many more mediocre and some horrid years. That is my point. Somebody posted only a few first rounders in the last how many years, a pretty close to revolving coaching carousel (with a dead man currently walking), and now all games are televised regardless. They went 4-8 last year when they were preseason Top 10 and in the ACC they skipped Clemson, FSU and NC, the 3 best teams in that conference. Dear God, they lost to Texas and MSU (non-bowl teams), Duke, NC St. and Navy. Of course they lost to Va Tech, Stanford and USC. But those "aren't bad losses." They beat exactly 1 bowl team in Miami. And all this total mediocrity without a USC or Miami scandal. In other words, why do they suck even with a hand-picked schedule?
I mostly agree. Better for Iowa recruiting Indiana if they are down. But it is not lack of talent. They are actually number two since 2013 with the number of first round picks. A top tier coach would bring them back quickly. Here's hoping the keep Kelly.

It means Iowa and ND are his 2 choices right now, because none of his other offers are worth considering lol.
Pretty much meaningless at this point imo......
Totally agree, he said he was still visiting MSU, Cincy, PSU and OSU this summer.

He would be a great pick up but this is far from a two team race.

They were ranked #1 and played for the NC in 2013 (2012 season). Not that long ago. But I do also think their star doesn't shine quite as bright.
I remember that year, and I remember thinking all season long that Notre Dame was ranked so high simply because of their name. They always get a high-ranking and always climb faster than any other college football team. That is how they made it to number one.
Also, I was born and raised a catholic. Nobody in my family, or extended family, can stand Notre Dame. We feel like they are the most hated team in the country! It has nothing to do with religion, it just has more to do with their arrogance and special favors they get from college football.

Go to the OT board if you're going to post this kind of crap. No need to bring politics into a good football discussion.

I'll take some of the blame for this one, as I made the crack about media bias and Notre Dame favoritism...though I didn't really think it was political...just true. (FWIW, I don't drink either party's kool-aid...I'm skeptical of all of em).

SO...my bad. Back to what matters...can we beat the fainting Irish for this kid?!

just for the record I think you all are ridiculous if you look at politicians as saviours.... and not Jesus Christ, the only True Saviour.

this world is coming to an end... whether you agree or not.

Reactions: unclesammy
But they also are tied for the most first round picks since 2010. And they are second all time for players drafted. Notre Dame has always had talent. Even in down years. It makes you appreciate how KF develops players.

Not just developing them but creates an atmosphere where players want to excel and work to do it, instead of Booby Miles who just shows up

just for the record I think you all are ridiculous if you look at politicians as saviours.... and not Jesus Christ, the only True Saviour.

Please keep this bullshite off the football forum. There is an off topic section for politics, religion, celebrities, household pets, women's hairdos, UFOs and other useless crap unrelated to Hawkeye sports.

Is this for real?

Who goes to football message boards and starts spouting this stuff. You can include politica to the dumb stuff to talk about on a message board

Reactions: naturalmwa and Ree4
I am going to go with steve deace on this. ND has a nice season and Kelly goes to the NFL leaving any incoming recruits high and dry.

How many Nd coaches have there been since Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa?

I am going to go with steve deace on this. ND has a nice season and Kelly goes to the NFL leaving any incoming recruits high and dry.

How many Nd coaches have there been since Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa?
5. 4 if you don't count George O'Leary who was hired but didn't even make it to practice - lied on his resume.

Notre Dame under Kelly is not the great Notre Dame of the past. Kelly's teams have been on the dysfunctional side for the past few years.

Notre Dame under Kelly is not the great Notre Dame of the past. Kelly's teams (59-31) have been on the dysfunctional side for the past few years.

you mean like compared to Charlie Weis? (35-27)
or Kent Baer (0-1)
or Tyrone Willingham (21-15)
or George O'Leary (0-0)
or Bob Davie (25-15) ??

all who were head coaches at Notre Dame since the time Kirk Ferentz (135-92) began coaching at Iowa.

Need to bring the ban hammer on all the dopes still interjecting politics into this. Needed that with the Drake Stoops thread, start bringing the hammer down like it's Herby off his meds.
However, the particular political comment is true.

Reactions: terrehawk
Oh, how I wish Iowa football could get a non-conference series vs. Notre Lame.

I know it's been stated, but I remember ND vs Bama in a championship game, I remember LSU vs Bama, I remember OSU vs Bama and of course last year. Don't remember the rest.

I remember the ND game because we all enjoyed seeing them get whooped. The OSU game because I was rooting for the Big10. I remember LSU because everyone was annoyed of the SEC match up. And of course last year cuz it was last year. Like it or not we all have these connections that make these games memorable. ND you either love them or hate them and that's why they are still a draw to these kids.

you mean like compared to Charlie Weis? (35-27)
or Kent Baer (0-1)
or Tyrone Willingham (21-15)
or George O'Leary (0-0)
or Bob Davie (25-15) ??

all who were head coaches at Notre Dame since the time Kirk Ferentz (135-92) began coaching at Iowa.

There's the challenge with Notre Dame, the expectation ares unrealistically high based on history that's now far back in the rear-view mirror.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT