ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic has Won 24 Grand Slams. Nadal at 22, Federer at 20. Djokovic Year End World #1 a Record 8 Times & World #1 a Record 404 Weeks(Federer at 310)

More records and milestones for Djkovic:

* Finished 2023 winning a record-breaking 7th ATP Finals Championship (the season-ending tournament for the year's top 8 players). Roger Federer is 2nd with 6 championships.

* Finished 2023 as World #1 for a record-extending 8th time. Pete Sampras is 2nd with 6.

* Has become the first player to hold the World #1 ranking for 400 weeks (Roger Federer, at 310, is the only other man to eclipse the 300-week mark).

The story from the Associated Press:

Novak Djokovic dominates Jannik Sinner, wins record 7th ATP Finals

• Associated Press
Nov 19, 2023, 02:14 PM ET

TURIN, Italy -- Novak Djokovic ended the year just as he started it -- by setting records.

The top-ranked Djokovic won a record-breaking seventh ATP Finals title on Sunday with a straight-sets victory over home favorite Jannik Sinner.

Djokovic took 1 hour, 43 minutes to win 6-3, 6-3 as the Serbian continues to reach new heights at age 36.

He started 2023 with a record-extending 10th Australian Open title and went on to win his 23rd Grand Slam tournament at the French Open, breaking Rafael Nadal's mark. Djokovic, who lost the Wimbledon final to Carlos Alcaraz, also won the US Open.

"One of the best seasons I've had in my life, no doubt," Djokovic said. "To crown it with a win against a hometown hero in Jannik, who has played amazing tennis this week, is phenomenal."

Djokovic entered Sunday's final tied with Roger Federer on six titles at the season-ending tournament for the year's top eight players.

He stretched out his arms and beamed broadly after clinching his seventh when Sinner double-faulted.

The victory had echoes of the clinical way Djokovic dispatched second-ranked Alcaraz in Saturday's semifinal encounter.

"I'm very proud of the performances these last two days against Alcaraz and Sinner, probably the best two players in the world next to me and Medvedev at the moment, and the way they have been playing I had to step it up," Djokovic said.

"I had to win the matches and not wait for them to hand me the victory and that's what I've done. I think I tactically played different today than I have in the group stage against Jannik, and just overall it was a phenomenal week."

It was his fourth win over Sinner, who had recorded a first-ever victory against Djokovic in the group stage in Turin and was the first Italian to reach the final.

But Djokovic was in imperious form Sunday and won 14 straight points from the end of the first set to the third game of the second to leave him firmly in control and subdue the Turin crowd.

Djokovic had already secured the year-end No. 1 ranking for a record-extending eighth time by winning his opening match at the ATP Finals.

After this tournament, Djokovic will become the first player to hold the No. 1 ranking for 400 weeks, with Roger Federer at 310 the only other man to eclipse the 300-week mark.

It was also only the second time in the past 15 years that a player has made the finals of all four Grand Slam tournaments and the ATP Finals. The previous occasion was when Djokovic did it in 2015.

Going Out on Top​

i

With his win Sunday at the ATP Finals, Novak Djokovic clinched his 8th ATP year-end No. 1 finish -- tying Steffi Graf for the most in ATP or WTA Rankings history.

Novak Djokovic8
Steffi Graf8
Martina Navratilova7
Pete Sampras6

Reactions: DooBi

Novak Djokovic, Aryna Sabalenka win ITF World Champion awards

• Associated Press
Dec 14, 2023, 02:50 PM ET

LONDON -- Novak Djokovic and Aryna Sabalenka were honored as the International Tennis Federation's 2023 World Champions on Thursday after being the only singles players to reach at least the semifinals at all four Grand Slam tournaments this season.

Djokovic, who finished at No. 1 in the ATP rankings for a record-extending eighth time, won the Australian Open, French Open and US Open to raise his major trophy total to a men's-leading 24 and was the runner-up at Wimbledon. He went 56-7 and led the men's tour with seven titles.

This is his eighth ITF World Champion award, also a record.

Sabalenka received the honor for the first time after winning the Australian Open for her first Grand Slam title, finishing as the runner-up at the US Open and making it to the semifinals at the French Open and Wimbledon.

She made her debut at No. 1 in the WTA rankings in September before finishing the year at No. 2 behind Iga Swiatek, the WTA Player of the Year.

Other ITF World Champions included Storm Hunter and Elise Mertens in women's doubles, Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury in men's doubles, Diede de Groot in the women's wheelchair category, Alfie Hewett in the men's wheelchair category, Niels Vink in the quad wheelchair category, and Alina Korneeva and Joao Fonseca in the juniors categories.

ITF World Champion selections place extra emphasis on Grand Slam events and ITF international team competitions.

If Novak indeed plays for at least 5 more years, will he reach 30 total grand slam titles?

The exhibition match vs Alcaraz today should be fun.

The story:

Novak Djokovic hopes to emulate Tom Brady, play beyond 40

• Reuters
Dec 26, 2023, 09:13 PM ET

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia -- Novak Djokovic said he has no plans to hang up his racket any time soon and, at age 36, is hoping he might be able to emulate American football great Tom Brady by extending his career well past his 40th birthday.

Quarterback Brady played 23 seasons in the National Football League, winning seven Super Bowls with the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Buccaneers before finally calling it quits at the age of 45 earlier this year.

Djokovic, the No. 1-ranked player in the world, is preparing for the start of his 22nd season as a professional by playing an exhibition match against Carlos Alcaraz in Riyadh on Wednesday. He said he had already learned plenty from Brady.

"Tom Brady is a great example of a champion in his sport and someone that has had such a great career and longevity," Djokovic, a 24-time Grand Slam champion, told reporters in the Saudi capital. "He has put a lot of hours and a lot of time into self-care, into recovery, into making sure that in a way every aspect of his body and mind is covered so that he can have a long-lasting, successful career.

"I know him personally and I learned a lot from him, from his example, and hopefully I can have a career that goes up to 40 or maybe even beyond -- let's see."

Brady was in Djokovic's box at Roland Garros in June to watch his friend win the French Open, one of three Grand Slam trophies the Serbian captured in 2023 along with the Australian and U.S. Open titles.

"I feel great in my own body right now and I've been playing some really high-quality tennis," Djokovic said. "2023 was one of the best seasons I've had in my life and why stop while you're still playing great? So I'll keep going and take [each] year, one by one, and see how far I go."

Alcaraz beat the Serbian in a five-set thriller to win this year's other Grand Slam title at Wimbledon and Djokovic welcomed the rise of the 20-year-old Spaniard, especially as Roger Federer has retired and Rafa Nadal is entering his last season.

"Our era is coming to an end, but you have Alcaraz emerging which is great, and I was very happy that I had four very good matches with him this year," Djokovic said. "Each match attracted a lot of attention, we had a lot of great highlights and it's good, it's good for our sport."

Djokovic will make his final preparations for a tilt at an 11th Australian Open title by representing his country in the United Cup in Perth and Sydney in the first week of the new year.

I can't believe Djokovic is even still alive after refusing to get his covid vaccination. Just lucky I guess.

Hell of an accomplishment for Djoker (48 GS semis.......insane). That being said, I'm pulling for Sinner......not sure he's quite ready to beat Novak over 5 sets, but he now has the skills to do so. Those two are the best pure ball-strikers on tour today. Alcaraz/Medvedev could be a classic, as well. It's nice to see the top-seeds living up to their billing.

Hell of an accomplishment for Djoker (48 GS semis.......insane). That being said, I'm pulling for Sinner......not sure he's quite ready to beat Novak over 5 sets, but he now has the skills to do so. Those two are the best pure ball-strikers on tour today. Alcaraz/Medvedev could be a classic, as well. It's nice to see the top-seeds living up to their billing.

I may have been a little premature with the Alcaraz to the Semis pick. :oops:

Wow just seeing the results.
Been watching the Medvedev match from last night.

I think Gauf v Sabalenka will be a hell of a match.

Novak Djokovic reached his record-extending 48th Grand Slam semifinal by beating Taylor Fritz 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in 3 3/4 hours.

Victory for the Italian Ginger!!!!

Sinner has now won 3 of the last 4 against Novak. He really should have won the match in straight sets. Djoker definitely did not have his A-game today. Sinner played well, just as he’s done since the U.S. Open.

He’s probably the favorite now, but beating the winner of Mercedes/Zverev won’t be an easy task.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
What a match between Medvedev and Zverev.
Medvedev’s drop shot return in the tie break at 5 all was so good.

He made a quite few of those during the match. No fear with that guy.

It will be interesting to see if there's any gas left in the tank when he plays Sinner.

Reactions: NoleinATL
What a match between Medvedev and Zverev.
Medvedev’s drop shot return in the tie break at 5 all was so good.
If only Medvedev would listen to a poster in this thread and learn to come to the net more. Winning doesn't matter if you're not playing a style of which he approves.

• Haha
Reactions: cfbfan23
Victory for the Italian Ginger!!!!

Sinner has now won 3 of the last 4 against Novak. He really should have won the match in straight sets. Djoker definitely did not have his A-game today. Sinner played well, just as he’s done since the U.S. Open.

He’s probably the favorite now, but beating the winner of Mercedes/Zverev won’t be an easy task.
It might have been a fluke, but Djokovic looked like he didn't want to be there last night. He didn't give up, but his energy was pretty much non-existent.

Reactions: cfbfan23

For the first time since 2009, there will be no Novak Djokovic or Rafael Nadal in the final 4 of the French Open.

Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to torn meniscus in his right knee

i

Tom Hamilton, Senior Writer
Jun 4, 2024, 10:59 AM ET

PARIS -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the right knee injury he sustained in his fourth-round win Monday.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.

Djokovic underwent an MRI scan and further medical tests on his knee Tuesday. A statement from Roland Garros said he suffered a "torn medial meniscus" of his right knee.

Djokovic said Monday he was hurt in the second set of his eventual five-set win over Francisco Cerundolo. He was hopeful of competing in his quarterfinal Wednesday.

In a statement, Djokovic said that he played with his heart and gave it his all Monday before getting injured.

"I wish the best of luck to the players competing this week and sincerely thank the incredible fans for all of the love and continued support," he said.

The 24-time Grand Slam champion said he had slight discomfort in his right knee coming into the tournament but had no further issues until his mammoth fourth-round match Monday. His third-round match finished at 3:07 a.m. on Sunday and he said that late finish "didn't help the sleeping, the biorhythm, and recovery."

After taking the first set against Cerundolo, Djokovic said a slip in the third game of the second set "affected the knee." He requested a medical timeout and had further physio treatment on it during the match.

Djokovic was visibly frustrated with how slippery he was finding the surface on Court Philippe-Chatrier and asked for it to be swept more frequently. But the request was rejected.

"I started feeling the pain and asked for the physio treatment and the medical timeout and tried to take care of it. It did disrupt me definitely in play," Djokovic said Monday evening. "For two sets, two sets and a half, I didn't want to stay in the rally too long. Every time he would make sudden drop shots or change directions, I would not be feeling comfortable to do the running.

"At one point I didn't know, to be honest, whether I should continue or not with what's happening. I got the medications, and then after the third set was done, I asked for more medications, and I got them.

"That was the maximum dose that kicked in, as I heard now from doctor after 30 to 45 minutes, which was just about the time kind of end of the fourth when things started to really improve for me. I started to feel less limitations in my movement."

Down two sets to one and a break in the fourth set, Djokovic rallied to win the match, but he was left concerned with what long-term damage he had done to his knee in the process.

Djokovic, 37, now sets his sights on Wimbledon, which starts on July 1. Then there are the Olympic Games starting July 27. Djokovic's withdrawal means Ruud has booked his spot in the semifinals. He will play the winner of Alexander Zverev and Alex de Minaur's Wednesday quarterfinal.

June 4, 2024 Update:

Novak Djokovic won his 24th major championship when he beat Daniil Medvedev 6-3, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3 in the 2023 US Open final.

The 2024 season has not gone so well. Novak was upset by Jannik Sinner 6-1, 6-2, 6-7, 6-3 in the semis of the Australian Open (Sinner would go on to win the championship). Novak was forced to withdraw prior to his scheduled French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the right knee meniscus injury he sustained in his 4th-round, 5-set win over Francisco Cerundolo (Djokovic said he was hurt in the 2nd set). Novak withdrawing ended his French Open title defense and meant he would relinquish the No. 1 world ranking.

Djokovic has won 24 titles in 73 major tournaments he has entered since his 2005 debut. He has reached the final in 36 of those 73 Slams.

Djokovic leads Roger Federer 24-20 in career Grand Slam titles. Djokovic has won 12 of the last 21 major tournaments he has participated in (it would have been 13 of 21 had he not been disqualified at the 2020 US Open for striking a line judge with a ball). He did not participate in 2 majors during this span because of his refusal to get vaccinated for covid (Novak was deported from Australia in Jan 2022 before the Australian Open and he was not allowed to fly to the United States ahead of the 2022 US Open under a covid rule that has since been lifted).

Some consider Roger Federer the GOAT. It appears that way of thinking has changed as the Djoker has not only passed Federer in career grand slam titles, but he has now passed Nadal as well.

Federer officially retired on Sep 23, 2022, after partnering with Nadal in doubles in the 5th edition of the Laver Cup. Federer and Nadal competed against each other 40 times in their careers, with 24 of those matchups taking place in tournament finals. Nadal held a 24-16 record over Federer, and a 14-10 record in finals.

(24 Grand Slam Titles, 404 weeks as World #1) Djokovic has won:

10 Australian Opens
7 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
3 French Opens

(22 Grand Slam Titles, 209 weeks as World #1) Nadal has won:

2 Australian Opens
2 Wimbledon
4 U.S. Opens
14 French Opens

(20 Grand Slam Titles, 310 weeks as World #1) Federer has won:

6 Australian Opens
8 Wimbledon
5 U.S. Opens
1 French Open

Career Grand Slam Titles

At the start of 2011:

16: Federer
14: Sampras
..9: Nadal
...1...Djokovic

Grand Slam titles since 2011:
23. Djokovic
13: Nadal
.4: Federer

Here's when the Big 3 and Carlos Alcaraz won their first major:

At age 19, in 2022--Alcaraz's 1st Grand Slam win, at the US Open

At age 20, in 2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He defeated Roger Federer in the semi-finals & interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors.

At age 19, in 2005
--Nadal's 1st Grand Slam win, at the the French Open

At age 22, in 2003--Federer's 1st Grand Slam win, at Wimbledon

Other records:

* Djokovic ended the 2023 season/year at World #1 for a record-extending 8th time. Pete Sampras is 2nd at six times.

* The 2023 US Open was Djokovic's 36th Major Final (most all-time, men & women).

* At the 2024 Australian Open, Djokovic reached his record-extending 48th Grand Slam semifinal when he beat Taylor Fritz 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 in 3 3/4 hours.

* Finished 2023 winning a record-breaking 7th ATP Finals Championship (the season-ending tournament for the year's top 8 players). Roger Federer is 2nd with 6 championships.

* Has become the first player to hold the World #1 ranking for 400 weeks (Roger Federer, at 310, is the only other man to eclipse the 300-week mark).

Overall Grand Slam Titles:

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

* 13 of the 24 came before professionals were admitted to the Slam events.

Most Years With 3 Or More Major Titles -- Men & Women All-Time

Margaret Court5
Steffi Graf5
Novak Djokovic4*
Roger Federer3

* 2023, 2021, 2015 and 2011

Top 5: Overall Weeks as World #1:

404 Novak Djokovic
377 Steffi Graf
332 Martina Navratilova
319 Serena Williams
310 Roger Federer

(209 Rafael Nadal)

Top 4: Year-end World #1 Finishes:

With his win Sunday, Nov 19, 2023, at the ATP Finals, Novak Djokovic clinched his 8th ATP year-end No. 1 finish -- tying Steffi Graf for the most in ATP or WTA Rankings history.

Novak Djokovic8
Steffi Graf8
Martina Navratilova7
Pete Sampras6

Of Note:

On March 20, 2023, Nadal's streak of 912 weeks in the ATP's top 10, the longest in ATP rankings history by a landslide, came to an end. The last time Rafa had been ranked outside the top 10 was in April 2005.

Current List of Most Weeks at ATP World #1:

If Djokovic misses Wimbledon, it will be the first time since 1998 that Wimbledon would be played without Djokovic, Nadal or Federer. Federer retired in 2022, while Nadal is prioritizing the Paris Olympic Games.

The update:

Novak Djokovic's surgery 'went well'; no time frame on return

i

Tom Hamilton, Senior Writer
Jun 6, 2024, 05:30 AM ET

PARIS -- Novak Djokovic said the surgery on the meniscus in his right knee "went well" but hasn't put a time frame on how long he'll be out of action for.

With Djokovic long prioritising participation at the Olympic Games, it means he is a major doubt for Wimbledon.

Djokovic picked up the injury in his fourth-round match with Francisco Cerundolo on Monday. He played through the pain and managed to win in five sets. After the match, Djokovic was hopeful the knee injury would not prove to be serious, but an MRI scan on Tuesday revealed he had torn the meniscus.

He was forced to withdraw from his quarterfinal with Casper Ruud and made the decision to have surgery on the injury on Wednesday in Paris.

"In the past day, I had to make some tough decisions after sustaining a meniscus tear during my last match," Djokovic said in a statement on his Instagram account. "I'm still processing it all but I am happy to update you that the surgery went well.

"I am so appreciative of the team of doctors who have been by my side, as well as the overwhelming support I have received from my fans.

'I'm going to do my best to be healthy and fit to return to the court as soon as possible. My love for this sport is strong and the desire to compete at the highest level is what keeps me going."

It was just the second operation Djokovic has had during his remarkable career, the other on his right elbow which saw him miss the 2017 US Open. But it looks increasingly likely the 24-time Grand Slam champion will sit out Wimbledon this year.

He is desperate to compete at the Paris Olympics and win gold in the men's singles, one of the few honours still eluding him.

"It's all about building my game for clay courts," Djokovic said in April. "I want to reach my peak for Paris. That's where I want to play my best tennis. Anything else is a bonus, so let's see what happens."

If Djokovic does miss Wimbledon, it will be the first time since 1998 that the major would be played without Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer. Federer retired in 2022, while Nadal is also prioritising Paris 2024.

Nadal said after his first-round loss to Alexander Zverev at this year's French Open it would be tough to transition to grass courts and then back to clay for the Olympics.

i

Novak Djokovic suffered the knee injury during his fourth-round win over Francisco Cerundolo at the French Open on Monday. Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images

21-year-old Carlos Alcaraz will make his first French Open final appearance tomorrow. He became the youngest man to reach a Grand Slam title match on three surfaces when he beat Jannik Sinner in the French Open semifinal 2-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

He won championships at the US Open in 2022 on hard courts and at Wimbledon in 2023 on grass.

Now the #3 seeded Alcaraz will face #4 Alexander Zverev of Germany on the red clay Sunday.

This will be the first French Open men's final without Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer since 2004.

21-year-old Carlos Alcaraz will make his first French Open final appearance tomorrow. He became the youngest man to reach a Grand Slam title match on three surfaces when he beat Jannik Sinner in the French Open semifinal 2-6, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.

He won championships at the US Open in 2022 on hard courts and at Wimbledon in 2023 on grass.

Now the #3 seeded Alcaraz will face #4 Alexander Zverev of Germany on the red clay Sunday.

This will be the first French Open men's final without Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic or Roger Federer since 2004.

So is this going to be your new fanboy adoration?

Youth Serves Notice​

Carlos Alcaraz is the fourth-youngest three-time winner of a Grand Slam event -- and the youngest to do it on all three surfaces -- in the Open Era (since 1968):

YEAR3X WINNERYRS-DAYS
1976Bjorn Borg20-27
1984Mats Wilander20-109
2007Rafael Nadal21-7
2024Carlos Alcaraz21-35 <<
1989Boris Becker21-229
>> All 3 have come on different surface

Djokovic has advanced to the quarterfinals at Wimbledon for the 15th time.

His path to the final is favorable, to say the least. If I were a betting man, however, I would say Alcaraz wins the whole thing.

Top Half of the Bracket:

#1 J Sinner
#5 D Medvedev

#3 C Alcaraz
#12 T Paul

Bottom Half of the Bracket:

#25 L Musetti
#13 T Fritz

#9 A De Minaur
#2 N Djokovic

Hoping for a Medvedev upset. I think Sinner could win the whole thing.

Also I was really surprised by Fritz today. It didn't look like Zverev was going to lose any service games after 2 sets so I went out and mowed the yard. Couldn't believe it was in the 5th set when I came back in.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Hoping for a Medvedev upset. I think Sinner could win the whole thing.

Also I was really surprised by Fritz today. It didn't look like Zverev was going to lose any service games after 2 sets so I went out and mowed the yard. Couldn't believe it was in the 5th set when I came back in.

I thought Serena would win at least 25 Slams but once she reached 23 that, unfortunately, was it.

I wonder if/when Djokovic can break through and stand alone at 25 Slams. Not sure if he is healthy/fit enough to win Wimbledon....we'll see....

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

Reactions: DooBi
I thought Serena would win at least 25 Slams but once she reached 23 that, unfortunately, was it.

I wonder if/when Djokovic can break through and stand alone at 25 Slams. Not sure if he is healthy/fit enough to win Wimbledon....we'll see....

24 Novak Djokovic
24* Margaret Court

23 Serena Williams

22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf

20 Roger Federer

I wouldn't count him out but yeah. These guys are much MUCH younger than him. Lucky for us it's fun as hell to watch either way.

It will be Daniil Medvedev vs Carlos Alcaraz in one semi-final.

Damn. Medvedev pulls the big upset and his reward is Alcaraz. Should he pull that upset he'd likely end up with Djoker. Talk about murderers row.

Novak Djokovic's smooth trip through the Wimbledon bracket got even easier today, when he moved into his record-tying 13th semifinal at the tournament via a walkover because his quarterfinal opponent, Alex de Minaur, withdrew with a hip injury.

On Friday Novak will face the winner of the #25 L Musetti / #13 T Fritz match, which is about to start.

What was the crowd doing that pissed Doyokovitch off so much in the post match news thingee?

The guy he was playing, his name is Rune and people that root for him yell RRRuuuuuuunnnne ,
Joker felt they were booing him instead, and he felt disrespected.

The article I read stated this is the type of "slight" Joker uses to motivate himself.

With an extra day of rest for his knee, he is in a really good position for the semifinals

#25 seed Lorenzo Musetti has reached his first Grand Slam semifinal; he beat Taylor Fritz in 5 sets, 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.

Before today, the 22-year-old Italian had never made it past the 3rd round at the All England Club or past the 4th round at any major tournament.

Now, though, comes a far tougher test: taking on Novak Djokovic on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT