ADVERTISEMENT

DM Roosevelt boys basketball forfeits 9 games for using a 20 year old player.

HawkeyeShawn

HR Heisman
Nov 9, 2001
https://www.kcci.com/article/des-mo...sketball-team-has-to-forfeit-9-games/46752216

I’m not going to out the player, but it wasn’t difficult to figure out who it is. Played in 9 of their 21 games and scored 33 points. Sounds like a deep bench player that only got blowout minutes.

Sounds like the school officials were unaware and thought he was a year younger. Seems like a weird thing to do if you are the player or the parents. He transferred in, wanted to be on the team so badly for scrub minutes, enough to lie about his age.

Some of these kids have no home life, no mentors, no nothing.

Organized sports is the closest thing they will have to family and structure.

I wish the state would look at it on a case by case basis and if the team isn’t competitive and the athlete doesn’t play a lot it would be nice to see “let it slide” in many of these cases.

This isn’t like West Des Moines playing a 20 year old stud at QB for a state championship run.

I wish the state would look at it on a case by case basis and if the team isn’t competitive and the athlete doesn’t play a lot it would be nice to see “let it slide” in many of these cases.

This isn’t like West Des Moines playing a 20 year old stud at QB for a state championship run.
What a shitty opinion.

They were going to go to state.

Reactions: Pinehawk

What good is it having rules if you allow exceptions and ambiguity? How many ppg are you willing to allow slide? He could still be part of the team and maybe allowed to play JV, but not varsity.

At least they caught it before tournaments. Roosevelt is pretty good this year and good thing they can still participate.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
At least they caught it before tournaments. Roosevelt is pretty good this year and good thing they can still participate.
Yep, everyone makes the playoffs, and you only have to win 5 games in 4A to be champions. Regular season is meaningless, other than for seeding.

I'll ask the dumb question - so you can't be a HS athlete if you're 20 or over, no matter what grade you're in?
They can play JV or in a rec league, but of course there are rules for varsity sports set at the State level.
I'd like to see all kids play as well, but only where they are eligible to compete for the fairness and fun of all of the athletes.

20 years old and still in HS, are we going to look any deeper into this guy to see if he's had any 16 y.o girlfriends?

sddefault.jpg

There was a dude in the class ahead of me that was legal drinking age (19 at the time) as a Jr. IIRC, he was held back in elementary school, then failed 7th or 8th grade (he was only in HS 4 years). He also made state as a wrestler at least 2x, and I think 3x.

Side note, hiss son was a 2 time state champ in wrestling.

Reactions: stickman80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT