ADVERTISEMENT

Why Caitlin Clark could pose a dilemma for Team USA at the Olympics

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
USA Basketball will be seeking its eighth consecutive Olympic gold medal this summer with the first step coming at the Olympic qualifying tournament in Antwerp, Belgium, from Feb. 8-11. The 12-player roster for that tournament will be the first approximation of the team that will defend the Americans’ gold medal in Paris.

Advertisement

Based on the 18 players who have been invited to the national team camp from Feb. 2-4 in Brooklyn, N.Y., the committee has a terrifically challenging task to select that final roster, a decision that will likely be further complicated by the current collegians — primarily Caitlin Clark, but USA Basketball veterans Paige Bueckers and Cameron Brink could also factor in here — who turn pro at the end of the 2023-24 season.

The final roster will ultimately make a statement about what the committee values: youth and the future or experience and proven success. USA Basketball has generally balanced old and young on the international team so that the younger players can carry the torch and preserve the culture. Including — or not including — Clark poses a unique dilemma with the wealth of options before the committee.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from Clark is Diana Taurasi, one of eight Olympians from Tokyo in 2021 who is back in the national team pool. Taurasi is seeking to become the first basketball player of either gender to compete in six Olympics. She would also be the oldest basketball Olympian ever and the third American woman of any sport to participate in six games. Assuming Taurasi is healthy, she is a lock to return to the roster. The 41-year-old even participated in the USA Basketball college barnstorming tour in November against Tennessee and Duke, which presumably was not compulsory for a player with her pedigree.

Taurasi is joined by Ariel Atkins, Napheesa Collier, Chelsea Gray, Brittney Griner, Jewell Loyd, Breanna Stewart and A’ja Wilson from the Tokyo team. Atkins is the only one of those returnees — other than Griner, who has extenuating circumstances, and is another lock to suit up in red, white and blue if she so chooses — whose play has declined since the last Olympiad, but considering she also played for the USA during the 2022 FIBA World Cup, Atkins will likely be prioritized by the committee. However, her status as a 2024 Olympian is probably the most tenuous of these eight players.

Advertisement

That leaves at most five, and likely four, spots for new blood, and the competition is fierce. Kahleah Copper, Sabrina Ionescu, Betnijah Laney, Kelsey Plum and Alyssa Thomas were all additionally part of the World Cup squad. Ionescu averaged the fewest minutes in Australia, but she, Thomas and Plum all have been All-WNBA selections within the past two seasons, with the latter two finishing top-five in MVP voting. Plum’s history with the three-on-three team should also give her a leg up with the committee, which brings us to her fellow gold medalists in that sport’s debut in 2021: Allisha Gray and Jackie Young. Both players seem too good to be left off of the roster, especially Young, but that is always the case with the American national team.

All seven of those players would be reasonable selections for the Olympics, and that doesn’t even include Aliyah Boston, Rhyne Howard and Arike Ogunbowale — three of the younger camp invites. All Boston has done is put together one of the most decorated college careers in recent memory, plus collect multiple gold medals for the U.S. at youth levels, while earning rookie of the year honors and starting in the WNBA All-Star Game. Frankly, Boston seems like another lock, filling in the sixth frontcourt spot behind Wilson, Stewart, Griner, Thomas and Collier. Howard and Ogunbowale — both All-Stars who would be the leading scorers on just about any other national team in the world — are probably on the outside looking in until the 2028 Olympics.

Then, there’s the youth question. The No. 1 picks in the 2004, 2008 and 2016 WNBA drafts made the Olympic teams as rookies (Nneka Ogwumike’s omission in 2012 was curious then, and her absence from subsequent Olympic rosters has made that snub even more ridiculous in hindsight), and a similarly loaded draft class is on deck to carry that tradition. The youngsters take their place at the end of the roster and then grow into the future leaders. Wilson has talked about learning from Taurasi and Sue Bird how to set the standard, which she put into practice along with Stewart at the last World Cup.

It would make sense for Clark to be the latest ingénue to take her place as Team USA’s 12th player, but with the 2004 No. 1 pick Taurasi still kicking, there may not be enough space. Perhaps the committee will take solace in Boston representing the current generation, while a cohort of older guards compete in the backcourt. Deciding between Atkins, Copper, Allisha Gray, Ionescu, Ogunbowale, Plum and Young for what figures to be three spots will be difficult enough without adding Clark to the mix.

Then again, the Caitlin Clark effect is real. How could USA Basketball choose not to capitalize on the rabid popularity of one of the game’s biggest stars when whoever takes her place doesn’t figure to play many minutes anyway? The Olympics are the biggest showcase of women’s basketball worldwide. A player like Clark belongs on that stage if the selection committee wants to build off the momentum the sport is generating stateside.

Advertisement

There will be plenty of superstars on the national team whether Clark makes the cut or not. And the U.S. will be prohibitive favorites regardless of what combination of these players suits up in Paris. The specific composition of this roster, however, will reveal what the committee prioritizes, be it national team history, domestic success, balance of youth/veterans or the most marketable names. All of those possibilities are on the table.

I don't watch the WNBA, so I don't know how good the "older" players are, but I imagine they are certainly stronger, which is a big deal in the Olympics.

You also have to consider her contribution if she's only playing a few minutes a game. She's used to having the offense revolve around her - she might struggle to be a "role player".

But from a marketing standpoint, it's a no-brainer. She's the most famous women's basketball player in the world. They've got to get her on the team for that reason alone.

If Christian Laettner can make the “Dream Team” over Shaquille O’Neal and Isiah Thomas, than Clark being put on the US Olympic Team over any WNBA player should be a no brainer.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Of course Laettner I don’t think got a lot of respect from his NBA teammates but it is what it is.

I am sure Clark would be challenged in practice and it would be fun to be a fly on the wall and see how it played out.

Reactions: Torg and VodkaSam
Clark also (IIRC) doesn't have to "turn pro" after this season, as I think she can return based on the extra NCAA Covid year.

So, she could compete as an amateur and return to Iowa if she chose to. My guess is she'd move on, though, as she has little left to prove on the college level.

would love to see her play if possible

looks like the 3 pt line is only slightly longer than the NCAA, like it matters for her LOL

esxzxal1xwtqbvm3.png

I don't watch the WNBA, so I don't know how good the "older" players are, but I imagine they are certainly stronger, which is a big deal in the Olympics.

You also have to consider her contribution if she's only playing a few minutes a game. She's used to having the offense revolve around her - she might struggle to be a "role player".

But from a marketing standpoint, it's a no-brainer. She's the most famous women's basketball player in the world. They've got to get her on the team for that reason alone.
I agree with this but one thing she has shown is that she is adaptable. If they sit her down and explain to her what her role will be and she agrees to it, then I fully believe she will do whatever she can to do the role they've assigned her as well as she can. If they tell her she will only be a role player with limited minutes, she might tell them that she doesn't want to commit to that. I doubt it though as she has a very smart marketing mind so the sheer impact the Olympic birth will have for her sponsors will be huge. She may not get the most minutes, but she would likely get the most publicity. It's if the other members of the team could tolerate a role player on their team getting more media exposure than they do.

You know, from that aspect coaches may want to consider it. Could the amount of media coverage for her divide the team? You'd hope they would be professionals about it but given how she has been treated by some already it is clearly possible that won't be the case.

She may not get the most minutes, but she would likely get the most publicity. It's if the other members of the team could tolerate a role player on their team getting more media exposure than they do.

You know, from that aspect coaches may want to consider it. Could the amount of media coverage for her divide the team? You'd hope they would be professionals about it but given how she has been treated by some already it is clearly possible that won't be the case.
This is an excellent point and perhaps the only valid argument for leaving her off the team. But I suspect that a lot of the resentment toward Clark's celebrity is more a result of being on the opposing team. Aliyah Boston and even Angel Reese have both publicly said they like her and Boston has said she would love to have her as a teammate in Indiana.

Her potential teammates on Team USA should look at this from a practical standpoint. Even if Clark gets disproportionate attention in France, she still is drawing eyes and ears to the team and their games. A rising tide lifts all boats, and these players should understand that the added attention would be good for their own endorsement opportunities as well.

Last edited:
Could the amount of media coverage for her divide the team? You'd hope they would be professionals about it but given how she has been treated by some already it is clearly possible that won't be the case.

I have concerns as to how welcoming they will be to CC.

She should stay in college for a 5th year and then play in Europe.

Tell the WNBA to get bent.

Leaving Caitlin Clark off the Olympic team makes perfect sense if you have zero interest in growing the sport outside America's borders.
Olympics should be about the best athletes period.

It shouldn’t be about anything else.

They should have tryouts and the best players chosen. Popularity should be a consideration.

She needs to pass on the Olympics. There is no way she can come out of that without getting slimed by jealously and, unfortunately, race-baiter.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Yes - she'll have supportive teamates and she will be able to prove herself in the WNBA.
Perhaps, but that's also the coach's job. Speaking of which, who is coaching the women's team? If it's Staley or Mulker she should tell them to stick it.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
She needs to pass on the Olympics. There is no way she can come out of that without getting slimed by jealously and, unfortunately, race-baiter.
I tend to lean towards this line of thinking as well, though certainly understand the points about what her popularity and exposure could do for the women’s game, in general.

Another consideration is that snubbing CC would be fairly painless from a media relations standpoint because it's almost guaranteed that CC would handle that situation with grace and understanding - by recognizing the experience, accomplishments and greatness of those who ARE on the team; deferring to USA Basketball to make a decision that is best for all involved; and then close by saying that that she'll be following and rooting them on.

Absolutely...there is no way they would let a white girl on the Olympic Team.

That's why every single time they pass over players like Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird.

It'll be an issue. All the women on that team are elite in their sport. Elite players have ego's.....they aren't gonna like the attention she gets.

Pretty safe bet.

Unfortunate because she'll probably help them make more money down road by growing the sport.

We've seen the cattiness in the college game. Can't remember a star male basketball player running into this type crap.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
If she makes it, fine. They just need to worry about putting together the best team. Some of you seem extra woke in saying she needs to be on the team ahead of better players just for the marketing aspects.
That is a really good list of players vying for the guard spots.

It'll be an issue. All the women on that team are elite in their sport. Elite players have ego's.....they aren't gonna like the attention she gets.

Pretty safe bet.

Unfortunate because she'll probably help them make more money down road by growing the sport.

We've seen the cattiness in the college game. Can't remember a star male basketball player running into this type crap.
I didn't want to devolve this into gender discussions but you're right, I couldn't think of an example that compares with the "why isn't anyone paying attention to us" stuff South Carolina and LSU used last year to help motivate themselves.

That didn't tear the team apart though. Or maybe it just didn't matter given the talent difference between that team and who they were playing. Tough to compare it. Although, to be fair, the talent difference on this women's team may be similar.

Truly incredible that one poster can be so wrong on every single subject he posts about. Like, breathtakingly difficult. I am in sincere awe.

Your advice, of course, will never get to Caitlin. If it did, it would be dismissed in under two seconds.

This is a media created crisis. #22 should be the first player chosen and end of discussion. Women’s basketball needs to do the right thing and find 11 other gals to play on Caitlan’s Team.
Caitlin not being selected for the Olympics is unthinkable....if we are playing basketball in the 21st century.
But stranger shit has happened I guess. Never underestimate human beings for their ability to phuque up the obvious.

Truly incredible that one poster can be so wrong on every single subject he posts about. Like, breathtakingly difficult. I am in sincere awe.

you and I rarely disagree. But I can see some points in the posters post. CC is a champion player. She is younger than her teammates would be. The attention will be on her. I can see some players not welcoming her.

That said, She is the face of woman's basketball amateur and pro. It's going to need a coach that can handle the different personalities.

Also, the WNBA is garbage, and won't pay CC enough.

you and I rarely disagree. But I can see some points in the posters post. CC is a champion player. She is younger than her teammates would be. The attention will be on her. I can see some players not welcoming her.

That said, She is the face of woman's basketball amateur and pro. It's going to need a coach that can handle the different personalities.

Also, the WNBA is garbage, and won't pay CC enough.
Jimmy....are you saying the LSU coach might not be the best coach for this team? :rolleyes:

Olympics should be about the best athletes period.

It shouldn’t be about anything else.

They should have tryouts and the best players chosen. Popularity should be a consideration.
I actually disagree with this. At least with team sports it should be about picking the best team, not necessarily the most athletic players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT