ADVERTISEMENT

DNA reveals parents of baby found dead 27 years ago near Lisbon

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The mysterious circumstances of a dead baby girl discovered nearly 30 years ago east of Lisbon began to unravel Saturday when state investigators announced they finally have identified the baby’s parents, but appealed to the public for help in unsorting the baffling case.

The newborn was found by a farmer Nov. 10, 1996, in a barn at 14 Highway 30, about a mile east of Lisbon. At the time, The Gazette reported that the full-term Caucasian baby's body, wrapped in a plastic shopping bag and placed inside a garbage bag, was discovered about 10 a.m. by Clair Wilson, who lived on the farm at the time with his son, Tim; Tim's wife, Debbie; and their son, Luke, then 15.

The body was left inside a barn used for machinery storage. Preliminary autopsy results showed the girl was alive when she was born. Later, the state medical examiner reported the cause of her death was “probable exposure” and the manner of death to be “undetermined.”

Investigators were never able to determine the baby’s name, and she was called “Baby Jane Lincoln” as a nod to the historic name of the highway that passed by the farm. The newborn was buried near Tipton after a reverend volunteered to perform the rites and the sheriff took up a collection for a headstone.

About 30 people attended, and many told a reporter they had come to show appreciation for their own kids.

The Rev. Frank Heubner, who was pastor of Cedar Street Baptist Church in Tipton, performed the service on the blustery day. “I wanted to reassure those at the cemetery of God's love, to let them know there is a God in heaven who loves us," Heubner said at the time. He told the mourners that "even if we understood all the circumstances surrounding Baby Jane's death … it would not be enough to satisfy our hearts.”

Saturday, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said in a news release that, thanks to advances in DNA, they now had identified the parents of the baby as Luke Dean Wilson and Samantha Light Hope, both 43.

The DCI did not say if investigators had talked with the parents about the case, say where they are located, or specify whether they had any connection to the family or farm where the body was found. Rather, the DCI said that “no further information will be released at this time.”

“The circumstances surrounding the death of Baby Jane remain under investigation and the public is encouraged to contact the Cedar County Sheriff’s Office should they possess any information that may assist in the investigation,” the DCI said in its news release.

The Light family is a pretty famous wrestling family around Lisbon. Is Samantha Light Hope, the alleged mother, one of the family?

The parents would have been 16 at the time of the discovery.

What crimes could they be charged with at this point?
Wouldn’t the grandparents of the baby be involved somehow? How could you not know your daughter was pregnant, or know, and not ask/report what happened to the baby? A lot going on here as the parents were minors.

I missed this before:

The farmer who discovered the body had a 15 year old son named Luke Wilson and the father of the dead baby is identified as Luke Dean Wilson.

Is this guy still alive? What is going on with him?
And it turns out the mother wrote a book about becoming a widow after her border patrol agent husband was killed by a drunk driver in Arizona.

Do the cops just have open access to private DNA testing service databases? Sure seems like it.

Reactions: Masterprime
Wouldn’t the grandparents of the baby be involved somehow? How could you not know your daughter was pregnant, or know, and not ask/report what happened to the baby? A lot going on here as the parents were minors.
I have heard of multiple scenarios where parents had no clue. I sat next to a girl in a high school class whom had a baby and her own mother and sister had no clue she was pregnant until she went into labor. She was popular, good looking, and partied, so people thought maybe she had gained a little weight. Some women carry babies low in their stomach and it is hard to tell they are pregnant.

This seems really strange. And I don’t recall this story back in 96. Seems mightily sad whatever happened.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Do the cops just have open access to private DNA testing service databases? Sure seems like it.
I’m not sure but I know I’m not putting mine in a database trying to find my great-great-great-great grandmother. So stupid.
I believe LE contracts out to third-party companies who attempt to extract a usable DNA sample from remains, then that company develops a partial family tree of the decedent. LE and/or the company then reach out to a closely-related member of the family and request a DNA sample, and in cases like this they find a match.

I'm not directly involved in any of this but this arrangement has helped solve old cold cases and identify people who otherwise would never have gone identified. Think of the Golden State Serial Killer. I'm in favor of it.

I believe LE contracts out to third-party companies who attempt to extract a usable DNA sample from remains, then that company develops a partial family tree of the decedent. LE and/or the company then reach out to a closely-related member of the family and request a DNA sample, and in cases like this they find a match.

I'm not directly involved in any of this but this arrangement has helped solve old cold cases and identify people who otherwise would never have gone identified. Think of the Golden State Serial Killer. I'm in favor of it.
LE extracts DNA samples and sends them to 23-And-Me, just like anyone else would

Then, they review the family relation history that 23-And-Me sends back for possible suspects and their relations.

If your data is in 23-And-Me's system, and you commit a crime, you might get a direct hit. If you send your DNA in, you also might get a criminal relative targeted...

I’m not sure but I know I’m not putting mine in a database trying to find my great-great-great-great grandmother. So stupid.

If you think you're safe, you're stupid. If any of your family members are in the database you're going to be able to be tracked down. It might take a them a while to look at other family members as well, but eventually they'll grab a cigarette you throw out your windows, or grab a glass from a restaurant. They'll eventually get your DNA. I personally don't plan on killing anyone so I'm not that concerned about my DNA being in a database. And if my DNA helps catch one of my family members doing something wrong, that's just a bonus for me.

I believe current and former military whose DNA has been collected and submitted to CODIS is also available for search. So if you are prior service and haven’t submitted to 23&Me, your DNA is still searchable. You can request to have your DNA expunged from CODIS, with some restrictions.

Reactions: Moral
If you think you're safe, you're stupid. If any of your family members are in the database you're going to be able to be tracked down. It might take a them a while to look at other family members as well, but eventually they'll grab a cigarette you throw out your windows, or grab a glass from a restaurant. They'll eventually get your DNA. I personally don't plan on killing anyone so I'm not that concerned about my DNA being in a database. And if my DNA helps catch one of my family members doing something wrong, that's just a bonus for me.
I'll keep that in mind.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
I have heard of multiple scenarios where parents had no clue. I sat next to a girl in a high school class whom had a baby and her own mother and sister had no clue she was pregnant until she went into labor. She was popular, good looking, and partied, so people thought maybe she had gained a little weight. Some women carry babies low in their stomach and it is hard to tell they are pregnant.
Same thing in my HS and was also mid 90’s. Really baggy pants and giant hoodies were common; you couldn’t tell by looking at her. Everyone at school, including her best friends and her parents were all shocked.

And it turns out the mother wrote a book about becoming a widow after her border patrol agent husband was killed by a drunk driver in Arizona.

Right or wrong, it appears that her world is about to be turned upside down.

FWIW, there is no statute of limitations in Iowa for bringing murder charges.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Right or wrong, it appears that her world is about to be turned upside down.

FWIW, there is no statute of limitations in Iowa for bringing murder charges.

So wait.....

1) 27 years ago, this Wilson boy and Light girl had a kid at 16 and apparently "threw it away"

2) Then the kids Dad, farmer Wilson is the one who found the baby?
a) but either knew and didnt say anything or just didnt know about his son's baby?
b) and wouldnt the kids have picked a spot NOT owned by family?

3) Then this same mom, who apparently ended up not marrying the Wilson kid, has 2 kids with another guy she married, who he then gets killed by a drunk driver and she writes a book?

This is going to make one hell of a movie.

I believe current and former military whose DNA has been collected and submitted to CODIS is also available for search. So if you are prior service and haven’t submitted to 23&Me, your DNA is still searchable. You can request to have your DNA expunged from CODIS, with some restrictions.
State of Florida is doing genetic testing among the disorders checked for in Newborn Screening.
They get those blood cards from well north of 98% of births in the state.
I figure it's just a matter of time before laws are amended and those samples go into a database for criminal justice purposes.

Reactions: DBQStarHawk
I think it’s wrong and goes too far. It feels like a violation of search and seizure rights.
I don’t think we should be forced, or submit upon birth, our genetic fingerprint, for the authorities to use to investigate future or past crimes. Or, to have unlimited access to private dna databases.
If there is a reasonable suspicion of someone, they could request, or get a court order, for a sample, that's completely different. But, to indiscriminately collect personal health data to fish for crimes is wrong in my opinion. And, the few crimes solved by this technique, aren’t worth what we lose in terms of our rights, privacy and our dna being collected, for whatever the future holds.

Reactions: Ree4 and Tunadog
I think it’s wrong and goes too far. It feels like a violation of search and seizure rights.
I don’t think we should be forced, or submit upon birth, our genetic fingerprint, for the authorities to use to investigate future or past crimes. Or, to have unlimited access to private dna databases.
If there is a reasonable suspicion of someone, they could request, or get a court order, for a sample, that's completely different. But, to indiscriminately collect personal health data to fish for crimes is wrong in my opinion. And, the few crimes solved by this technique, aren’t worth what we lose in terms of our rights, privacy and our dna being collected, for whatever the future holds.
I guess I don’t get this line of thought. We all want a safer and more secure environment. If police use this as tool to catch criminals so be it. If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about. Only people who should be concerned are the criminals.

I guess I don’t get this line of thought.
It's an invasion of privacy.

No one should have to cede their DNA or fingerprints or whatever to the government w/o their consent.
It's why the current DNA testing explicitly excludes "saving" any samples or information outside of just looking for genetic defects/diseases that could be treated early.

Reactions: Ree4 and Tunadog
I guess I don’t get this line of thought. We all want a safer and more secure environment. If police use this as tool to catch criminals so be it. If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about. Only people who should be concerned are the criminals.
Yeah, that’s not America. Not to me I guess. Health data is supposed to be private and protected. There is a process for requesting biological samples for those suspected of crimes. Sounds more like something you might hear about China or North Korea doing.
Everyone come in to be fingerprinted and get your cheek swabbed when you’re 18, might as well microchip everyone while you’re at it.

Yeah, that’s not America. Not to me I guess. Health data is supposed to be private and protected. There is a process for requesting biological samples for those suspected of crimes. Sounds more like something you might hear about China or North Korea doing.
Everyone come in to be fingerprinted and get your cheek swabbed when you’re 18, might as well microchip everyone while you’re at it.
Honestly question. Are you anti-government. Most of your big issues tend to appear this way.

I look at it as if I were the one that had a parent, spouse or child murdered in cold blood, I would want every possible avenue available to catch the killer.

Also, ancestory DNA is what was used to point out the 1979 murderer of teenager Michelle Martinko, and I don’t know of anyone who was against “the means” to achieve the result and put the murderer finally behind bars, over 40 years after he killed her.

Honestly question. Are you anti-government. Most of your big issues tend to appear this way.
No, but I’d say I’m anti-government overreach. And, anti-abuse of power.
Whether that’s the government collecting your genetic data to use against you or your family, mandating masks and vaccinations, or police going over the line and not being held accountable.
I recognize that there are costs to the freedom that we enjoy, and would prefer to preserve those freedoms despite their price.

Reactions: Ree4
No, but I’d say I’m anti-government overreach. And, anti-abuse of power.
Whether that’s the government collecting your genetic data to use against you or your family, mandating masks and vaccinations, or police going over the line and not being held accountable.
I recognize that there are costs to the freedom that we enjoy, and would prefer to preserve those freedoms despite their price.
I don’t disagree with your values at all, but I think access to DNA, that is available to catch a killer, who could kill again, should be used at every possible avenue. No different than a finger print being used, and it seems we are all OK with that method to ID a perp by now.

I don’t disagree with your values at all, but I think access to DNA, that is available to catch a killer, who could kill again, should be used at every possible avenue. No different than a finger print being used, and it seems we are all OK with that method to ID a perp by now.
I think you are right as it relates to DNA or fingerprints that you leave behind. I have no issue with police collecting straws, cups, cigarettes, etc. and recovering DNA from them. Extracting DNA from people because it might solve a crime later on is a bridge too far for me.

I think you are right as it relates to DNA or fingerprints that you leave behind. I have no issue with police collecting straws, cups, cigarettes, etc. and recovering DNA from them. Extracting DNA from people because it might solve a crime later on is a bridge too far for me.
And, Police aren't extracting DNA from people to solve a crime. They are using the databases where people have submitted their DNA. That said, if we all had to submit DNA when born to catch or prevent crime I'm good with that. Don't commit crimes and there will be no issues. Seems like a win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT