ADVERTISEMENT

DNA reveals parents of baby found dead 27 years ago near Lisbon

And, Police aren't extracting DNA from people to solve a crime. They are using the databases where people have submitted their DNA. That said, if we all had to submit DNA when born to catch or prevent crime I'm good with that. Don't commit crimes and there will be no issues. Seems like a win.
and like I said initially, I'm not. I'm not voluntarily putting my DNA into a database over which I have no control.

Ruin her life? She had the chance 30-years ago to step forward and explain what happened. Instead they likely lied to family/friends. The community is still impacted by this all of this years later according to a person I know who lives in town and knows family members of those involved. That doesn't even touch on those in Tipton who raised money and buried her. The most interesting thing to me is knowing that police figured out who they were long ago and that Wilson has been cooperating while the mother has not. Says a lot.
I can kind of see both sides of this. The people were 15 at the time and panicked.
I’m sure it has been difficult for them to live with this for almost 30 years and they might possibly have been terrorized because of it.
Was it the right thing to do? Hell no, could you see a 15 year old doing something dumb like this? I sure could. I really don’t understand if the father in this situation was a kid living on the farm, how no one could see that he was lying if he was ever questioned. 15 year olds are not good at lying.

Reactions: B1GDeal
and like I said initially, I'm not. I'm not voluntarily putting my DNA into a database over which I have no control.
I do find it interesting how many people volunteer to put their DNA out there.

But I do also realize that it is becoming the norm and it shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t have anything to hide.

Did you know that if you ever had to get an egg donor or sperm donor to have a child that you are required to upload your child’s dna into certain databases? I assume it’s more to help that child if he/she ever develops and genetic issues and to a much more extreme case, make sure they aren’t hooking up with someone from the family tree.

I recently found out that I have a cousin I never knew about because of DNA.
My aunt gave him up for adoption when she was young. Over 40 years later he tracked her down and thanked her for not throwing him in a garbage bag out in the cold.

Last edited:
Agree with this. This police department is clueless. They put out way too much information into the public on this one.
I first thought that too, now I realize there was no case to make. Everyone involved would say the baby was stillborn knowing that charges for murder could not be brought forth without proof otherwise. They had 27 years, and many sleepless night I’m sure, to run through all scenarios. The PD saying they need proof that the baby was alive would be a last ditch effort to make someone come forward. The entire case is hinged on that one thing that cannot be proven without a witness testimony.

I first thought that too, now I realize there was no case to make. Everyone involved would say the baby was stillborn knowing that charges for murder could not be brought forth without proof otherwise. They had 27 years, and many sleepless night I’m sure, to run through all scenarios. The PD saying they need proof that the baby was alive would be a last ditch effort to make someone come forward. The entire case is hinged on that one thing that cannot be proven without a witness testimony.
Why put that put there? If they spoke to the father (which it says they have) maybe he said it was alive... but she won't cooperate. I'm guessing her being out state makes this harder. I don't think this is over.

I do find it interesting how many people volunteer to put their DNA out there.

But I do also realize that it is becoming the norm and it shouldn’t be an issue if you don’t have anything to hide.

Did you know that if you ever had to get an egg donor or sperm donor to have a child that you are required to upload your child’s dna into certain databases? I assume it’s more to help that child if he/she ever develops and genetic issues and to a much more extreme case, make sure they aren’t hooking up with someone from the family tree.

I recently found out that I have a cousin I never knew about because of DNA.
My aunt gave him up for adoption when she was young. Over 40 years later he tracked her down and thanked her for not throwing him in a garbage bag out in the cold.
I think my right to my health information, including my DNA, to be private should be paramount. I have nothing to hide but I still don't want the government (or anyone else) having access to my private information unless I choose to share it. Once you give up control of your information, you can never get it back. There should be strict limits on when a person can be compelled to give a DNA sample, what can be done with that sample and who has access to that information in the future.

It is a legally obtained DNA sample.
If the police are taking a sample from a dead body and submitting it to Ancestry.com or 23andMe for the purposes of trying to find a match of someone who may have given their DNA for lineage purposes (or someone related to them) and you don't see a BIG problem with that you are far more dangerous of a person than I ever thought you were.

And I'm starting from a spot of you being completely fvcking useless.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Framing people with dna is going to be pretty easy to do in the near future. Because it seems many believe that its mere presence is enough to prove guilt.

If the police are taking a sample from a dead body and submitting it to Ancestry.com or 23andMe for the purposes of trying to find a match of someone who may have given their DNA for lineage purposes (or someone related to them) and you don't see a BIG problem with that you are far more dangerous of a person than I ever thought you were.

I don't have a problem with that. I am in favor of the police being able to use this information to catch people that have committed crimes.

Reactions: Joes Place
If the police are taking a sample from a dead body and submitting it to Ancestry.com or 23andMe for the purposes of trying to find a match of someone who may have given their DNA for lineage purposes (or someone related to them) and you don't see a BIG problem with that

Nope. See no problem with that.

It's helped them solve other "unsolvable" crimes, already.
Only people who would fight this are also probably rapists and child molesters.

So, maybe YOU should be worried here.

This was actually done recently. Police got out some old DNA and used the databases to find not only the murder victims identity, but then was able to locate their baby who was stolen decades ago.

Nope. See no problem with that.

It's helped them solve other "unsolvable" crimes, already.
Only people who would fight this are also probably rapists and child molesters.

So, maybe YOU should be worried here.
Easy there, hungry. I'm neither and I would fight law enforcement having unfettered access to DNA databases or forcing people to provide samples.

Easy there, hungry. I'm neither and I would fight law enforcement having unfettered access to DNA databases or forcing people to provide samples.
Didn't say anything about "forcing people to provide samples". In fact, I'd stated that warrants are needed for that.

In the case of doing their own 23&Me search, it simple limits the scope of possible suspects that they then MUST go get warrants to track and investigate. I see no issues with that, so long as they follow those established processes.

Sounds like the father lives the area still and has been cooperating. Mother lives out of state and has not. This will be interesting to follow in the weeks ahead.
-
So a 43-year-old can still be charged as a juvenile?

I thought that minors when convicted, could only be held until 21 or so. I am sure it is more nuanced than that, but I am curious. Aside from murder, are any of the related charges not subject to a statute of limitations?

What is the framework that the various players are facing from a law enforcement perspective.

Because it seems many believe that its mere presence is enough to prove guilt.
This has only been the case in backwards states where all-white juries convict black people.

In every other instance, corroborating information and evidence is needed.

• Sad
Reactions: Pinehawk
-
So a 43-year-old can still be charged as a juvenile?

I thought that minors when convicted, could only be held until 21 or so. I am sure it is more nuanced than that, but I am curious. Aside from murder, are any of the related charges not subject to a statute of limitations?

What is the framework that the various players are facing from a law enforcement perspective.
No idea. But, I'd like to think if a body was found and nobody solved it... only to figure out 20-30 years later it was Billy Bob who was only 16 that they'd still charge Billy Bob vs letting him skate. I'm curious to see where this goes.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Why should the police have free access to the private DNA database? If they have reason to suspect a crime, get a court order and request the info.
Do you think the police should have unlimited access to your phone records? Texts? Browsing history?
If it solves one crime, does that make it all worth it for you?
I'm firmly on the side of not wanting the government snooping on everyone.
The EU's proposed rule requiring everyone in the EU to install browser certs that will let ANY EU government spy on their browsing is horrific for security and privacy.

I understand the privacy concerns related to even phone meta data, but how do those kind of concerns apply to a DNA sequence?
It's something that 'just is', like your fingerprint. It doesn't betray your thoughts.
I guess in the future insurance companies are going to be super interested in DNA, and will probably start by offering discounts to people who are willing to add that to their blood pressure check along with life insurance, but I'm not sure how that intersects with the concerns of privacy violation. What am I not thinking of?

No idea. But, I'd like to think if a body was found and nobody solved it... only to figure out 20-30 years later it was Billy Bob who was only 16 that they'd still charge Billy Bob vs letting him skate. I'm curious to see where this goes.

I suspect they have "named names" to see if any one of their classmates from around that time heard any firsthand comments/remarks from them about the pregnancy, etc. It's an opportunity for folks to come forward, who may not have known certain details.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT