ADVERTISEMENT

Do u remember the old College Football All-Star game and the one with Podolak in it?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The oldtimers like me remember those games in late July early August at Soldiers Field usually against the current NFL champs. For the younger fans, some of these games were fairly competitive but most the NFL won pretty handily. After Eddie Podolak's SR season he played in this game and had a really good game running the ball. The link below has several interesting quotes from Podolak who played because OJ and a few other running backs opted out and talks about the game. What prompted me to think of this game is because the college guys had a great 2nd half comeback and almost beat the Jets. They had Podolak run a lot of what was called the old student body left or rigth sweeps which he did greatly at and picked his holes for very good runs. That helped open up the passing game.

I don't remember that game, but I do remember him at QB for Iowa, then shifting to running back when Larry Lawrence became QB. High-powered offense, but not much defense.

Reactions: uihawk82
I remember them talk about those games on ESPN's College Football 150 series. I think at first the College All star teams did well because at first playing professionally was looked down on. Then as the NFL became accepted the game became a joke.

I don't remember that game, but I do remember him at QB for Iowa, then shifting to running back when Larry Lawrence became QB. High-powered offense, but not much defense.
Seemingly what Iowa fan wants today! 5-6 season record, but we will score 35 points occasionally……and the other team will score 35 or more often….., ;)
I seem to remember playing UMich in about 1970 or so, and having them in a 3rd and 30….they ran a trap over center for 68 yds and a TD. That defense?
I remember going to Madtown the year before…..Wiscy had lost like 15 conference games in a row…and Iowa went into the 4th Q leading 17-0…..Wisky broke their losing streak that afternoon…..that defense?

I was at that game in Madison. Iowa had Wisconsin down in the 4th quarter. I leaned over to a companion and said, "Wisconsin will have to do this and then this and then this order to win." Damned if they didn't do just that. And pandemonium broke loose at Camp Randall. I also remember how the upper deck of that stadium would sway and creak when the Badged faithful sang "Varsity", waving back and forth. It was a bit worrying.

They played it in old Soldier Field that had terrible sight lines and about half te seats were 2 blocks from the football field! The Bears have spent a ton of money getting Soldier Field into the (shitty) shape it is today!

The oldtimers like me remember those games in late July early August at Soldiers Field usually against the current NFL champs. For the younger fans, some of these games were fairly competitive but most the NFL won pretty handily. After Eddie Podolak's SR season he played in this game and had a really good game running the ball. The link below has several interesting quotes from Podolak who played because OJ and a few other running backs opted out and talks about the game. What prompted me to think of this game is because the college guys had a great 2nd half comeback and almost beat the Jets. They had Podolak run a lot of what was called the old student body left or rigth sweeps which he did greatly at and picked his holes for very good runs. That helped open up the passing game.

I remember them. They ended primarily because of concerns about injuries for no good reason.

The only time I remember the college all-stars winning was, I think, in the late '50s. I'm pretty sure Jerry Kramer was on that team. I think he refers to it in "Instant Replay."

The oldtimers like me remember those games in late July early August at Soldiers Field usually against the current NFL champs. For the younger fans, some of these games were fairly competitive but most the NFL won pretty handily. After Eddie Podolak's SR season he played in this game and had a really good game running the ball. The link below has several interesting quotes from Podolak whomber a played because OJ and a few other running backs opted out and talks about the game. What prompted me to think of this game is because the college guys had a great 2nd half comeback and almost beat the Jets. They had Podolak run a lot of what was called the old student body left or rigth sweeps which he did greatly at and picked his holes for very good runs. That helped open up the passing game.

Yep I'm "north of 60". I don't remember one specific game of the series, but liked the college all-star jerseys. Super Bowl champs would play collegians who were headed to NFL. Was a great way to kick off the exhibition season.

1973, just graduated from HS, and went to the College All-Stars game against the Miami Dolphins. I don't remember anything about the game, except one of my friends with us was on the team for Iowa State and got a wave from George Amundson as he walked off the field.

Fabulous weekend though! Tickets at Wrigley vs the Cardinals on Saturday and Sunday, on the mezzanine level no less! My buddy from ISU was friends with the daughter of Stanton Cook, Editor of the Tribune who gave us the tickets. Saw Seals and Crofts at the Erie Crown Theatre Saturday night.

Sat next to Bob Brooks at the Cub games. Nice weekend!

:)

Was in Kinnick for the Hawks v Northwestern in 1968. Eddie ran for 286 yards on only 17 carries, a B1G record that lasted one week. Hawks squeaked out a W 68-34.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT