ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesdays With Torbee: How I fell in love with Big 10 Basketball and you should too

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht

The game that made me fall in love with college basketball forever was played in the sauna-hot old Wisconsin Badger Field House on a frigid February night in 1987.

The mostly hapless Badgers pushed the Bobby Knight led Hoosiers to the brink – three overtimes with a chance to clinch the game with a pair of free throws – before a raucous and sweaty crowd stomping red paint chipped ancient wooden bleachers underfoot for a delirious 55 minutes of Big 10 basketball.

Steve Alford set the all-time Indiana scoring record in that game, despite being lambasted courtside by a Knight furious that his star guard was an abysmal 4 of 19 shooting and missed game winning shots at the end of regulation and the first overtime.

Dick Vitale and ESPN were in town for a rare prime-time game for a Wisconsin team battling to stay out of the cellar with an equally awful Northwestern. The next day’s Capital Times had no fewer than four bylined stories by three reporters spread over two pages to document the event.

I was 16, a big Badger fan, and didn’t care that the hometown team was 1-11 in conference heading into the showdown with Indiana, ranked #2 in the country and in first place in the Big 10.

The game was vintage 1980s Big 10 basketball – no three-point line, lots of big bodies banging, floor burns, hard fouls, fast breaks and lead changes. A miasma of cigar smoke and stale popcorn odor created a haze hanging over the court in the old stone barn.

With 24 seconds left in the third overtime and the Badgers clinging to a one-point lead, Wisconsin guard Shelton Smith bricked two free throws. As mentioned, there was no three-point line at the time, so sinking the pair likely would have secured the win. Instead, the Hoosiers hustled down the court, Joe Hillman takes an ill-advised long distance two from the left corner, but 6’10 Indiana center Dean Garrett hauls in the air ball and gently lays the ball through the cylinder to crush Badger upset dreams.

Being a Badger backer, I was heartbroken. But the competition was so intense, the atmosphere so charged, the energy and effort expended by the players so impressive that a college basketball junkie was born that day.

I share the anecdote to explain why I get so frustrated with fellow fans talking about their apathy and disinterest with this season’s Hawkeye hoops team. It’s not that I don’t rationally understand the reasons; it’s that I know there is beauty even in struggle and losses, from the sheer spirit of competition. I know this sounds corny, because it is corny! I also know that even in its imperfect modern state, Big 10 basketball still delivers such moments with regularity.

Red-hot Nebraska finding a way to trip up seemingly invincible Purdue leading to a Lincoln court storming – only to be dismantled themselves in front of a tiny-but-vocal blizzard-crossed crowd in Iowa City days later is another example.

If you pay attention and love basketball, it is hard to not be entertained by the roller coaster ride that is a Big 10 season. For the second year in a row, Iowa has dug out of an ugly 0-3 conference hole and finds itself back in the thick of the race for a mid-pack finish and possible NCAA tournament berth.

How can you not be entertained?

I continue to fear these Hawkeyes have a limited ceiling – they lack the “go-to” surefire star that has anchored past iterations. Nevertheless, they are a team that is always looking to outscore and out-gun their opponent, something they did with alacrity in Minneapolis Monday. Yes, good defensive teams can disrupt that by controlling clock and grinding Iowa down in the half court, but when the Hawks are cooking, it’s one of the prettiest showcases in all of college basketball.

The astute former Illinois star Stephen Bardo – who certainly has no latent love for the Hawkeyes as a former member of the Flyin’ Illini – noted Monday that Iowa is the “most connected” team in the Big 10 and may be the best example in the conference of a team where guys “play for each other.”

Forgive me if it rankles that a former Hawk-hater talks nicer about my favorite team than many of its own fans. However, don’t worry, the bandwagon has plenty of room when you decide to hop back on!

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht

The game that made me fall in love with college basketball forever was played in the sauna-hot old Wisconsin Badger Field House on a frigid February night in 1987.

The mostly hapless Badgers pushed the Bobby Knight led Hoosiers to the brink – three overtimes with a chance to clinch the game with a pair of free throws – before a raucous and sweaty crowd stomping red paint chipped ancient wooden bleachers underfoot for a delirious 55 minutes of Big 10 basketball.

Steve Alford set the all-time Indiana scoring record in that game, despite being lambasted courtside by a Knight furious that his star guard was an abysmal 4 of 19 shooting and missed game winning shots at the end of regulation and the first overtime.

Dick Vitale and ESPN were in town for a rare prime-time game for a Wisconsin team battling to stay out of the cellar with an equally awful Northwestern. The next day’s Capital Times had no fewer than four bylined stories by three reporters spread over two pages to document the event.

I was 16, a big Badger fan, and didn’t care that the hometown team was 1-11 in conference heading into the showdown with Indiana, ranked #2 in the country and in first place in the Big 10.

The game was vintage 1980s Big 10 basketball – no three-point line, lots of big bodies banging, floor burns, hard fouls, fast breaks and lead changes. A miasma of cigar smoke and stale popcorn odor created a haze hanging over the court in the old stone barn.

With 24 seconds left in the third overtime and the Badgers clinging to a one-point lead, Wisconsin guard Shelton Smith bricked two free throws. As mentioned, there was no three-point line at the time, so sinking the pair likely would have secured the win. Instead, the Hoosiers hustled down the court, Joe Hillman takes an ill-advised long distance two from the left corner, but 6’10 Indiana center Dean Garrett hauls in the air ball and gently lays the ball through the cylinder to crush Badger upset dreams.

Being a Badger backer, I was heartbroken. But the competition was so intense, the atmosphere so charged, the energy and effort expended by the players so impressive that a college basketball junkie was born that day.

I share the anecdote to explain why I get so frustrated with fellow fans talking about their apathy and disinterest with this season’s Hawkeye hoops team. It’s not that I don’t rationally understand the reasons; it’s that I know there is beauty even in struggle and losses, from the sheer spirit of competition. I know this sounds corny, because it is corny! I also know that even in its imperfect modern state, Big 10 basketball still delivers such moments with regularity.

Red-hot Nebraska finding a way to trip up seemingly invincible Purdue leading to a Lincoln court storming – only to be dismantled themselves in front of a tiny-but-vocal blizzard-crossed crowd in Iowa City days later is another example.

If you pay attention and love basketball, it is hard to not be entertained by the roller coaster ride that is a Big 10 season. For the second year in a row, Iowa has dug out of an ugly 0-3 conference hole and finds itself back in the thick of the race for a mid-pack finish and possible NCAA tournament berth.

I continue to fear these Hawkeyes have a limited ceiling – they lack the “go-to” surefire star that has anchored past iterations. Nevertheless, they are a team that is always looking to outscore and out-gun their opponent, something they did with alacrity in Minneapolis Monday. Yes, good defensive teams can disrupt that by controlling clock and grinding Iowa down in the half court, but when the Hawks are cooking, it’s one of the prettiest showcases in all of college basketball.

The astute former Illinois star Stephen Bardo – who certainly has no latent love for the Hawkeyes as a former member of the Flyin’ Illini – noted Monday that Iowa is the “most connected” team in the Big 10 and may be the best example in the conference of a team where guys “play for each other.”

Forgive me if it rankles that a former Hawk-hater talks nicer about my favorite team than many of its own fans. However, don’t worry, the bandwagon has plenty of room when you decide to hop back on!
If I remember correctly, Bobby Knight went on a rant after the game about how late games get over and kids having to go to class the next day.
Part of the Big East-Big Ten Big Monday.

Touché, torbee!
And Bardo is right...when the Hawks play well, they are really fun to watch! This team can really pass the ball to the open player...and at times, they can really shoot it! Wish they were a little meaner on the boards, though.

Reactions: torbee
The Field House days did it for me. It's been downhill since for Iowa Hoops. Carver sucks and it's a big reason our team doesn't do much
They should eliminate about 10 to 15 rows at the top. Get some engineers and architects to figure it out. Similar to the old monster cement baseball stadiums of the 70’s and 80’s bigger isn’t necessarily better.

They should eliminate about 10 to 15 rows at the top. Get some engineers and architects to figure it out. Similar to the old monster cement baseball stadiums of the 70’s and 80’s bigger isn’t necessarily better.

It's a tomb. It has the feeling of a tomb.

Reactions: tumorboy
It's a tomb. It has the feeling of a tomb.
The whole design of 40 or 100 steps down is just insane. Every time I went it reminded me of being on top of the Lake Red Rock Dam. Wondering if I slip or something how long before I crush my head.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
If I remember correctly, Bobby Knight went on a rant after the game about how late games get over and kids having to go to class the next day.
Part of the Big East-Big Ten Big Monday.
You do!

Knight-snip.jpg

Was at the Iowa game at the fieldhouse in 1989. Hawks were in the top 10 and were upset by Wisconsin. Tim Locum and Danny Jones were throwing shit in all afternoon. Major court storm by the badger fans

Reactions: GOHOX69 and torbee
The Big 10 basketball quality has been in a slow decline for a number of years, this year it's very apparent. The talent just isn't there like it used to be. A couple decent teams and hot garbage after that, and I doubt there's five people who aren't Purdue fans who would have them making the Final Four, let alone the championship game.

Was at the Iowa game at the fieldhouse in 1989. Hawks were in the top 10 and were upset by Wisconsin. Tim Locum and Danny Jones were throwing shit in all afternoon. Major court storm by the badger fans
I was at Wisconsin field house in 1983 when Wisconsin upset Iowa. Wisconsin had a freshman named Ricky Olson who got hot. Bobby Hansen senior year. Beat them by 30 when they visited Iowa.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I was at Wisconsin field house in 1983 when Wisconsin upset Iowa. Wisconsin had a freshman named Ricky Olson who got hot. Bobby Hansen senior year. Beat them by 30 when they visited Iowa.
Ricky Olson - the pride of LaFollette High School (my alma mater)

If the three point line had been in play when he played, he might be Top 10 in 3 point percentage in Big 10 history - dude was an assassin from deep. He is remains fifth on their all-time scoring list, and that was before the three point shot!

Olson_dribble_300w400h_60q.jpg

BTW - I know I'm in the minority, but the old block U for Wisconsin was waaaaaaaaay better than the stupid "motion W" that looks like a cheap Warner Bros cartoon knockoff.

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht

I swear to you, my dad and I watched this game. We were pulling for Wisconsin big time - back in the despise Bobby Knight and Indiana days!

Correct me if I'm wrong, Torbee, was there a guard for your Badgers that played the game of his life that night against Indiana? Mike Henneman maybe? I've always been a diehard Hawkeye fan, but I remember that game well. I was a college hoops junkie in the 80s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Torbee, was there a guard for your Badgers that played the game of his life that night against Indiana? Mike Henneman maybe? I've always been a diehard Hawkeye fan, but I remember that game well. I was a college hoops junkie in the 80s.
Yeah - he was from Indiana, too. His team beat Alford's New Castle team in the Indiana high school finals.

Bobby Knight said after the game that he should have recruited him to IU.

Badger-bball-clip-2.jpg

Henneman name sticks out to me.

is it still the place for pick up hoops on campus?

Not sure. Its still there but my guess is that some of the games are now at the Campus Rec Center, however you need to pay or a pass to get in that and you can still walk in the FH.

Ricky Olson - the pride of LaFollette High School (my alma mater)

If the three point line had been in play when he played, he might be Top 10 in 3 point percentage in Big 10 history - dude was an assassin from deep. He is remains fifth on their all-time scoring list, and that was before the three point shot!

Olson_dribble_300w400h_60q.jpg

BTW - I know I'm in the minority, but the old block U for Wisconsin was waaaaaaaaay better than the stupid "motion W" that looks like a cheap Warner Bros cartoon knockoff.
Steve Yoder seemed like a nice man. Didn't Brad Sellers briefly play for the Badgers?

Reactions: Igor Stravinsky10

They should basically rebuild the Old Fieldhouse sans the charming but annoying obstructed view posts. Much like Kinnick - right on top of the players.

• Love
They should basically rebuild the Old Fieldhouse sans the charming but annoying obstructed view posts. Much like Kinnick - right on top of the players.
I dont think the steel bench bleacher seating for the masses would be very popular with todays donor’s though…..but the old FieldHouse could get LOUD! But so could Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and tOSU back in the days of those old field houses.

I dont think the steel bench bleacher seating for the masses would be very popular with todays donor’s though…..but the old FieldHouse could get LOUD! But so could Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota and tOSU back in the days of those old field houses.

When can tweak for the blue hairs and M1ers like @JWolf74

The best part of the “old” FieldHouse (before the Evy remodel following the ‘69-“70 season) was the dust from the dirt floor off the Armory as people shuffled to and from their seats/restrooms and concession stands during the game…..plus, all the cigarette smoke that would drift in from the lobby areas and collect along thre ceiling in the second half……plus…as the place literal heated up, they would open the windows to cool the joint down (and on those cold winter Iowa nights, it would cool the place off!)

Tuesdays with Torbee​

by Tory Brecht

So that's what's interesting about the basketball offense and football defense. They're always one of the hottest girls around. Why do they always have to drag their fugly sisters around with them?

I was at the Fieldhouse long ago. I think we are in end times for it sadly. Not a cent has been out into it in some time. I am not sure why they keep that pool going. They have open lap swim like twice a week for an hour.

I swear to you, my dad and I watched this game. We were pulling for Wisconsin big time - back in the despise Bobby Knight and Indiana days!
I watched this game with my Dad too. The same as you, we are Hawkeye fans but we were rooting for the underdog Badgers. I was only 9 at the time and Mom had a strict bedtime for all 5 of us kids, so I had to go to bed at halftime since it was a Monday night. About an hour or so later, Dad woke me up out of a deep sleep and basically said "this game is crazy, you gotta watch this with me, but don't tell Mom." I watched all 3 overtimes with Dad. Awesome memories of staying up late watching sports with my Dad.

Another great article, Torbee. Thanks for conjuring up good memories.

Steve Yoder seemed like a nice man. Didn't Brad Sellers briefly play for the Badgers?
Yes. Transfered to OSU after season. Yoder had a assistant named Brad McNulty
I came across him in fieldhouse. Said they wanted to get where Iowa was.
Wisconsin had 3 NBA players on 1983 team.

The whole design of 40 or 100 steps down is just insane. Every time I went it reminded me of being on top of the Lake Red Rock Dam. Wondering if I slip or something how long before I crush my head.
I like the walk down. Your seats get better every step. And the railings in the middle of the aisles were added sometime in the 90s right? I felt those weren't there when I was a kid going to games. Seems insane in today's world that they were never there.

Reactions: tumorboy
I fell in love with Hawkeye BB listening to Zabel describe the exploits of Super Sam Williams , George Peeples and Chris Pervall back in the late 60's.
Televised games were rare then but like with baseball the imagination could fill in the gaps in a kid's head with radio descriptions.
Never attended a game til my years attending Iowa...seeing Ronnie Lester live and up close was a thrill...so quick it seemed like an optical illusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT