ADVERTISEMENT

Do us customer care service numbers work in Italy?

Tenacious E

HB Legend
Dec 4, 2001
My card has been locked and no phone numbers are working. Citibank’s info on google does nothing and I am at my wit’s end. Any advice would be appreciated from our globe trotters. Tia.

There should be a regular long distance number you can use. You'll probably have to dial 011 before the number, or something like that to get out of Italy.

Reactions: Tenacious E
There should be a regular long distance number you can use. You'll probably have to dial 011 before the number, or something like that to get out of Italy.
Thanks I will try. Every number I try it says the call is not possible.

Thanks I will try. Every number I try it says the call is not possible.
Toll free numbers are often bound by restrictions/coverage maps by country. The company still would have to pay for long distance charges for someone in another country calling the number, so they could prevent it from working, to keep from eating those charges.

Toll free numbers are often bound by restrictions/coverage maps by country. The company still would have to pay for long distance charges for someone in another country calling the number, so they could prevent it from working, to keep from eating those charges.
Do know what you do then? Google says to dial 00 first then the American number. Didn’t work.

You try this one: "Citibank's international toll-free number for Italy is 1-210-677-0065..."

Or

"CitiPhone Banking gives you the power to control your banking from anywhere, anytime, simply by dialing 800-830-1880/ 86-20-38801267*."
Also saw this:

Italy:
One Direct Access Number**
1. From an outside line dial the Direct Access Code 800-172-444
2. After the English prompt, dial 866-384-4299
•Public phones require coin or card deposit
•Includes Vatican City, State
•Potential mobile restrictions

Do know what you do then? Google says to dial 00 first then the American number. Didn’t work.
I haven't made a toll free call from another country to a US toll free number, so I'm not sure exactly. I linked some other numbers that I found - hopefully one of them helps.

Good luck - i think others have you on teh right track here. Yeah, this is one of those things that you occasionally forget to do before travelling abroad. Usually once you get a live person, you can get it resolved pretty quickly

Also saw this:

Italy:
One Direct Access Number**
1. From an outside line dial the Direct Access Code 800-172-444
2. After the English prompt, dial 866-384-4299
•Public phones require coin or card deposit
•Includes Vatican City, State
•Potential mobile restrictions

Toll dialing​

For toll calls, dial 212-804-5456 or 210-677-3775

Language options​

For English, press 1
For Spanish, press 2
For Italian, press 3
For Portuguese, press 4
For French, press 5
For German, press 6
For other languages, press 7

Toll dialing​

For toll calls, dial 212-804-5456 or 210-677-3775

Language options​

For English, press 1
For Spanish, press 2
For Italian, press 3
For Portuguese, press 4
For French, press 5
For German, press 6
For other languages, press 7
I appreciate all of this. Unfortunately, none of them work. This is crazy.

• Sad
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Thank you all. What a comedy of errors. Credit card frozen despite telling them advance I’d be traveling internationally. My international plan which included international calling did not allow international calling. My SIL’s phone also did not work, despite having an international plan. We called her phone carrier, and said they made a mistake on their end. Had to use another phone on her plan while on the tech call using her phone. Finally was able to get ahold of Citi using my nephew’s phone to get the card unfrozen. Not a Csb, but if you noles ever join the big ten and make it to an Iowa game, I will host a tailgate and drinks and food are on me.

If you are in a good hotel, the concierge is usually glad to help you, and oftentimes, speaks English. But to be honest, citi-bank sucks.

If you are in a good hotel, the concierge is usually glad to help you, and oftentimes, speaks English. But to be honest, citi-bank sucks.
Yeah a concierge would have been nice. Now that you say it our VRBO host is quite knowledgeable and helpful, and I should have made an inquiry with her…

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Only now that things are happily resolved, I'll throw in my frozen credit card travel story from a simpler time, about 3 decades ago, when I was a young man and relatively newly married.

I was presenting at a long term care conference in Honolulu, and the organizer offered several end-of-conference side trips that you could take. Mrs. A and I, never having been to Hawaii before, decided to select the Kauai option. So, we fly over to Kauai, rent our convertible Mustang, and drive up to our hotel: The Princeville Resort. It quite literally took my breath away as a young teacher's son who'd never really seen anything so spectacular.

So we have a wonderful couple of days hanging at the pool, hiking the Napali Trail, and eating at Bubba Burger in Hanalei ("We cheat tourists, drunks, and attorneys"). Last night, a Friday, we go out for a nice dinner at the resort up the road. Card is declined. No biggie, I give them another and figure I'll get it checked out when I get back to the hotel. So I get back to the hotel and call the issuer (a local bank), but of course it's now the wee hours of Saturday morning back east, and no one staffed things 24/7 those days. I am now officially shitting myself, wondering how I am going to check out of the Princeville, get to the airport, and get stateside, the next day. So, I stay up til about 0200 and to my surprise, get a live person on a Saturday back east. They tell me that my current balance is some number of thousands of dollars that I can't even remember, which I say cannot possibly be correct. Thankfully, it is a local bank issuer that knows me, and they say, no problem, we'll just raise your limit to a much higher amount to get you off the island, and sort it out later.

So, having been able to get a few hours of sleep, I get up the next day, we get out of the hotel, off the island, and on the plane home. Monday morning, I call the bank to say thanks and to see if they'd been able to find anything out. In fact, they had. There had been some sort of screw up at the Bank of Hawaii processing "switch" such that EVERY TRANSACTION THAT HAD RUN THROUGH THAT BANK, including each of my nightly charges at the Princeville Hotel, had been run NINE (9) TIMES.

Tenacious, enjoy that Aperol Spritz or Negroni this evening, or tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Love
I added the one-month pass through the app. It never occurred to me that I need to do something else. Do I?

Here’s the instructions. Are your dates accurate?

If so, you’ve got internet. I’d be hitting up t-mobile chat support and ask what’s up.

Thank you all. What a comedy of errors. Credit card frozen despite telling them advance I’d be traveling internationally. My international plan which included international calling did not allow international calling. My SIL’s phone also did not work, despite having an international plan. We called her phone carrier, and said they made a mistake on their end. Had to use another phone on her plan while on the tech call using her phone. Finally was able to get ahold of Citi using my nephew’s phone to get the card unfrozen. Not a Csb, but if you noles ever join the big ten and make it to an Iowa game, I will host a tailgate and drinks and food are on me.
Not meaning to speak for all noles, but I'm sure they would agree that posting T&A would be just as good.

I added the one-month pass through the app. It never occurred to me that I need to do something else. Do I?
i’ve faced same issue as you twice before. despite checking with tmo before the trips that all is go for intl calling, didn’t work. wish there were a way to test before landing abroad. i’ve since ditched tmo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT