ADVERTISEMENT

Do you go to High School football games?

We go to most home games.

Next year the wife wants to go to Waco to see whatever that place called Magnolia is. I told her not unless we could go watch Odessa Permian play while we were in Texas. Anyone ever seen a game there? Worth it? Better options?

I’m at most home football and basketball (girls and boys) games. I try to hit at least one home game in every HS and JH sport every year. I’m also at nearly every competitive band event (marching, the 3 winter indoor HS groups, concert band, jazz band, solo/ensemble contest) but that is what my kids participate in. I also try to hit at least 1 performance of the band, choir and theater each year.

Of course I also work at the district level in my home school corporation so this is partially job related.

I just moved to a new community and know no one but thought about checking out the local sports even tho I have no connection whatsoever with the football team. Got me thinking, Do you go to High school football games in your community? If you do, do you have a family or friends kid playing?
No but I've considered it since any high recruit from Nebraska is likely playing somewhere in the metro. But I never have.

Parents retired to TX where my sister lives about a decade ago. I take trips down whenever i find a cheap flight especially in Fall\Winter. I decided to check out the TX Fri night lights on my own one visit there and holy 💩. The atmosphere, traditions, everyone decked out in school colors. Just a 3A school with a football stadium that puts anything here in Iowa to shame. So since then if I'm there and there's a home game, I'll try to go. I'm thinking of going to the Liberty\West game tomorrow, kid that mows our lawn occasionally is starting his first varsity game but i doubt I'll follow through. Will get to a game later in the season.

I just moved to a new community and know no one but thought about checking out the local sports even tho I have no connection whatsoever with the football team. Got me thinking, Do you go to High school football games in your community? If you do, do you have a family or friends kid playing?

Hahahahahahah.

No.

I’ve had boys playing high school football for the last 6 years. Still have 2 years to go. Plus we went to our high school games while our boys were younger too, so probably for close to 15+ years.

My youngest is now a Junior, OL/DL at a class A school.

It will feel very weird not having a Friday night obligation in Sept/Oct after he’s done playing.

I'm surprised they don't have you working either in the press box, lines, ticket sales, crowd control, concession stand, etc.!
I drive a ways to coach, in a different district so I don’t have to do that stuff. If I did I wouldn’t coach there. When it’s local that’s a different thing, but I’m not driving 2.5 hours, total up and back, to work concessions.

Reactions: gohawks50 and WSC72
I do part-time work covering high school events for the local paper. Great gig, except for the deadline. I’ve seen a decline in attendance the last 2-3 years, there are just more entertainment options, I guess. But high school football games still have a strong sense of community.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
I drive a ways to coach, in a different district so I don’t have to do that stuff. If I did I wouldn’t coach there. When it’s local that’s a different thing, but I’m not driving 2.5 hours, total up and back, to work concessions.
Interesting that the school you teach at allows you to coach at another school. I have several high school teachers/coaches in my extended family and didn’t know they allowed such a thing.

Where did you move? Still in my area? I watch on youtube from the comfort of my home.

I spend summers in Colorado Springs before going back to Dallas, and I've been to a few high school games in the Springs. In Dallas, I've gone to a couple games of Iowa recruits.

If I lived where I went to high school I probably would. I was pretty good and have a lot of great memories playing. Where I live my son didn’t have the greatest experience with it so no. He was in a loaded class and just couldn’t find a way to get on the field with really good players jammed up in his natural position at linebacker. In retrospect it was that, some of his choices like not wrestling which I learned after the fact is a big deal on the defensive side of the ball, and having the misfortune of requiring surgery in Iowa City for a bone tumor the summer of 2020, so we could not risk him getting Covid at team workouts, risking missing his surgery date during the summer. He moved from linebacker to safety to back to linebacker to eventually bulking up to 210 his senior year to give DL a shot. He got passed over for a really good sophomore who got moved up after all of that, for any playing time. All that to say the team played who they thought was best for the program, which I get and appreciate. The result though is I don’t care about the school. So no, I don’t attend.

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Yes, but only because my son is on the team. He was slated to start at receiver and CB on JV as a sophomore. Unfortunately he’s out this year because he just had surgery on a torn labrum on his dominant arm. So I’ll only go to home games this year.

Youngest is in eighth grade and is playing volleyball so I’ll go to her games also.

Reactions: jellyfish10
How else do you guys pick up high school-aged girls?

dazed-and-confused-matthew-mc-conaughey.gif

• Haha
Reactions: stout1
Nope. When my no pic daughters were in high school I went to virtually all their sporting events. Both were two sport athletes so I had my fair share of sitting in the stands. I felt no need to go to football - just not enough time.

Now I feel no attachment to the HS football team. Would rather spend time with the no pic or other friends/family.

I do part-time work covering high school events for the local paper. Great gig, except for the deadline. I’ve seen a decline in attendance the last 2-3 years, there are just more entertainment options, I guess. But high school football games still have a strong sense of community.
Back when I thought I would become a sportswriter in my early college days, I worked as an uncredited staff writer for the Cedar Rapids Gazette. My Friday nights would be at one third of a cubicle-like cove in the sports department, tracking the scores of small school and irrelevant mid size school showdowns, then taking game reports from coaches over the phone. I love doing the nugget write-ups as “Gazette Staff Writer”. Watching those guys schlep all over at nights all year for not great pay cured me of wanting to do that for a living, but I still have fun memories of it. Especially because I got free tickets the newsroom handed out for Hawkeye games the next day on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Once in a while we'll go to home games. We still have a few friends who have kids in HS and we only live about 200yds from the football stadium (we can read the scoreboard from our driveway)

Oh, I forgot to add, their scores generally end up how football should be played. They won a game 3-4 years ago 90-88. They normally average 55-60ppg. Score 60+ and go to the playoffs, what's not to like

Totally get that. We need to talk some girls basketball if we ever get the chance
That's what I miss about Legend not being here. We both coach high school girls and would pass along scouts to each other!

When my kids are in attendance, yes; especially when my middle child was on the dance team and performed. Looking forward to my last one getting into HS.

I would go if I knew a player and wanted to support them. I don't think I've been to a high school football game since my (HS) senior year.

*Now that i think about it, as part of a small community newer to the area I would go if I heard they were really good also as a way of supporting them. Like a "run to state" type deal.

For about 15 years I went to a game every single Friday night from late August through state playoffs shooting photos and writing stories. I left journalism a few years ago, but I still try to get to a few games here and there if there's a good match-up.

Next year the wife wants to go to Waco to see whatever that place called Magnolia is. I told her not unless we could go watch Odessa Permian play while we were in Texas. Anyone ever seen a game there? Worth it? Better options?
Damn, that is an outstanding idea. I might have to pitch that idea.

Reactions: WSC72
Oh, I forgot to add, their scores generally end up how football should be played. They won a game 3-4 years ago 90-88. They normally average 55-60ppg. Score 60+ and go to the playoffs, what's not to like
So you watch 8 man? Lol

Reactions: SSG T
For about 15 years I went to a game every single Friday night from late August through state playoffs shooting photos and writing stories. I left journalism a few years ago, but I still try to get to a few games here and there if there's a good match-up.
ANNNDDDDD DA JOURNALISM COMMUNITY HAS NEV'AH RECOVERED!!!!!

😉 HAPPY Friday bro, hope you have a good one.

• Haha
Reactions: LunchBox50
I might not be much help. We are in the vast nothingness of Western Iowa

But I’m always up for talking BB

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
I have been the announcer at the high school football games since 1999. So much fun!
Ditto, except I announced both of my sons' high school soccer matches.

The house where we built when we retired down here is literally a 10 minute walk from the local team's stadium. I was all hyped for football to see the Seahawks on Fridays, then noted that they wear orange and blue. Well, that killed that idea. Haven't been to a one yet.

It'd be cool to watch a game at that stadium but that's a heck of a side trip from Waco and that part of Texas isn't exactly scenic. Unless you are already heading in that direction might be setting yourself up for a long side trip with an unhappy wife. Can likely find a good game to go there in the Waco area or just down south to Austin/up north in the dfw metroplex.

Reactions: WSC72
We go to all of them (unless it's crappy weather). We had a son graduate 2 years ago and have a current senior, so we know most of the kids. They never played but we still like to go. My wife and I usually stand along the fence around the track and socialize with people more than watching the game.

Yes. My nephew is a sophomore and already playing with the varsity. I’m leaving for his game in an hour. Future Hawkeye! 🙂

if one of my buddy's has a kid playing yes. But I think last year was the last year 😒

Hoping my nephew plays but he just likes farm stuff right now.

looking at the scores this morning seems like a few decent games last night

Bett beats PV in OT
Valley slips past SE Polk
Solon crushed Assumption

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT