ADVERTISEMENT

Do you have a house cleaner?

BABiscuit

HR Legend
Jul 4, 2001
As in a for-hire cleaner. If so, what do they do for you?

How long does it take them and what does it cost?

How often do they clean?

Does it take a lot of work to get your house ready for the cleaner?

Are they hot?

Is it worth it?

I feel like I asked this before but cannot find the thread and I never did get a cleaner. But TBW is on me again and so here I am, asking the fancy people of HROT for info on how they be fancy.

Yes. She comes every 2 weeks. Sometimes her husband comes and helps. Sweetest lady ever and she frequently comes when we're out of town. I'll just say what she doesn't do. Laundry, windows and inside the refrigerator and oven. We LOVE her and during the week she comes one of us will say "guess what"? And, the other says, "Its Elizabeth week!". Pay her $120 per visit which may be just a little bit high but she does a fantastic job. Dusts blinds, light fixtures, all shelves, furniture etc. Cleans cooktop, counters, mops floors, vacuums... dusts around all the spindles on our 3 floors of stairs, cleans mirrors... I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch. Gets here at 9am and goes until 12:30'ish.

How often do they clean?

Are they hot?

Is it worth it?

I feel like I asked this before but cannot find the thread and I never did get a cleaner. But TBW is on me again and so here I am, asking the fancy people of HROT for info on how they be fancy.

Yes, I do not clean my own house.

they do everything -- dust, sweep, vacuum, 4 bathrooms, dishes.

no clue how long it takes. They come while we are at work. I pay $140.

They come every other Monday.

We pick things up off the floor but that's it.

They are worth every penny. I would give up pretty much everything to keep them.

Yes

She comes in once a week and cleans the house....about 2,500 sq. ft. that she actually picks up, cleans, mops and/or vacuums. She also does laundry, dishes etc.

She’s usually here about 4 hours. We pay her 90 or 100....not sure, wife pays her. She’s been cleaning our house for 16 years. She’s got this shit down pat.

All I have to do is pick up all clothes, shoes, meds, etc. in our bedroom before it’s “ready” to be cleaned. Takes 10-15 minutes.

She is definitely not hot.

Totally worth it,

Yes. $100 for ~4 hours once a week. Comes Friday AM.

Actually we’re on the 2nd cleaning lady. Wife fired the first after a couple of visits for subpar work.

Vacuums, swifters wood floors, dusts, cleans bathrooms/toilets etc, windows, dishes, laundry if needed.

Worth it. But we’re minimalists, so it’s not like our place gets super dirty.

Only hassle is I work from home, so awkward convos Friday mornings.

she sucks at her job but I keep paying her

pic3.jpg

We did when my youngest was born and we realized you don't have any time to clean with a 3 year old, 1 year old and newborn. We kept them for 3 years but now that the kids are in school and have more time to do it ourselves we canceled. It was awesome and I kind of miss it. Will probably hire again in the future. 90$ every other week, just our main floor, not basement.

We pay her $150 per week. She comes on Monday & Friday mornings. She does nearly anything that needs done. She has three other clients that we know of. We go all out for her at Christmas.We have a 5K sq ft house about 13 miles from her home and as far a I know has never missed a single day...regardless of weather. She is about 50 years old and will drink whatever we are drinking if we catch her at Happy Hour. She is cheaper than our cable, utility, or grocery bill. Mrs Bean will never be without her.

$150 every other week. 3 hours/time. They do everything we ask them to do. Bathrooms, wash and change sheets. Help move furniture. She sometimes brings in cooked meals.

They are Mennonite, so no, they are not hot. Couldn't ask for better people, though.

How often do they clean?

Are they hot?

Is it worth it?

Shoot that reminds me I need an anniversary card!

Our neighbor comes over a few times a week. Does laundry, dusts, vacuums. She does not own the house next door. She originally moved in to care for the elderly lady who owned it. That lady lived into her mid 90s. By the time she died, her son and his wife were retired, moved back to town & into the house, and kept her around to take care of things for them. Our pay to her is simply some extra spending money.

She’s played a huge role in our lives and those of our kids. She’s almost like family at this point.

yes. 80.00 once a month. I pick up anything on the floor so she doesn't waste cleaning time. Even if it was just the bathrooms, she'd be worth it. Floors, toilets, shower floor and walls are sparkly clean. Good RELIABLE ones are hard to find. Ask around for names.

Just the OP's mom. She keeps promising to bring her Hoover. She claims she brings it every visit. Anyway...my Upright is worn out. Tell her I said thanks.

giphy.gif

Reactions: cougarhawk1
Yes.
She has a crew of 2-3 helpers usually, and they spend 45-50 minutes in the house.
$75 a visit. They hit the highlights in the kitchen and bathrooms. We could pay for more, but we do some things ourselves. I always schedule them on days I am home, and I do some pick up around the house before they get there.
She is a MILF, but dumb as a box of rocks.

We do not.

While I understand the huge benefits of having someone clean your house I think that’s a responsibility that should fall on the owner. If you need someone to clean up after you, I’d suggest you have too much stuff.

Same principle as mowing your own yard or cleaning gutters, etc.

We do not.

While I understand the huge benefits of having someone clean your house I think that’s a responsibility that should fall on the owner. If you need someone to clean up after you, I’d suggest you have too much stuff.

CBA doesn’t shake out for me to do that stuff on my own.

Our maid comes weekly. Does everything. Windows, fridge, etc are as needed. Biggest benefit is changing the beds and cleaning the bathrooms. Like others, our house isn’t particularly dirty but it’s nice to have it sparkling clean. She has been with us for six years and usually has two family members working with her. They’re typically at our home for about three hours. We pay $100/week and I recently realized it’s an incredible deal. We rebid and the cheapest weekly price we got from five others was $175.

Reactions: hawkbirch
We do not.

we pay someone for yard work and snow removal. Next on my list would be a chef.

Reactions: JWolf74
$75 once a week for a crew of 2-3 for 1-2 hours. Pretty much everything. We pay a little extra if laundry needs to be done.

Yep. We have “Two Maids and a mop” come every two weeks. Clean top to bottom, including wood floors. Change linen on all beds. We pay 160 a visit. We have three kids and 3100 sf so ours is a little steep probably . Others wanted 175-225. It’s worth it. They typically take 2 hoursish. There are a few mildly attractive ones. But at 47, I have a real low bar these days.

Reactions: hawkbirch
We pay her $150 per week. She comes on Monday & Friday mornings. She does nearly anything that needs done. She has three other clients that we know of. We go all out for her at Christmas.We have a 5K sq ft house about 13 miles from her home and as far a I know has never missed a single day...regardless of weather. She is about 50 years old and will drink whatever we are drinking if we catch her at Happy Hour. She is cheaper than our cable, utility, or grocery bill. Mrs Bean will never be without her.
Your cable bill is over $600/month? I didn’t know that was even possible.

Yes. She comes every 2 weeks. Sometimes her husband comes and helps. Sweetest lady ever and she frequently comes when we're out of town. I'll just say what she doesn't do. Laundry, windows and inside the refrigerator and oven. We LOVE her and during the week she comes one of us will say "guess what"? And, the other says, "Its Elizabeth week!". Pay her $120 per visit which may be just a little bit high but she does a fantastic job. Dusts blinds, light fixtures, all shelves, furniture etc. Cleans cooktop, counters, mops floors, vacuums... dusts around all the spindles on our 3 floors of stairs, cleans mirrors... I'm sure I'm leaving out a bunch. Gets here at 9am and goes until 12:30'ish.
Pretty much our situation. We pay 100

Have four kids and clean our own house. Kids have their chore list each week. I get the utility of having a cleaning person, but don't like the optics of it with the kids.

Yes. $100 for ~4 hours once a week. Comes Friday AM.

Actually we’re on the 2nd cleaning lady. Wife fired the first after a couple of visits for subpar work.

Vacuums, swifters wood floors, dusts, cleans bathrooms/toilets etc, windows, dishes, laundry if needed.

Worth it. But we’re minimalists, so it’s not like our place gets super dirty.

Only hassle is I work from home, so awkward convos Friday mornings.

I think I read about this in a Penthouse forum back in the day. "I never thought this would happen to me."

Every other week. $25/hr and does whatever we ask. Usually she’s here 6-7 hours for 4K square feet (depending if she does the basement), 8 if we have a lot of extra cleaning.

Once a week. We will pick up, run dishwasher, etc...but she does all the deep cleaning: mopping, bathrooms, etc.

Wow, you pay well. All cash I assume?

Wow, you pay well. All cash I assume?
Go to a church in a poor part of town and post on their board that you are looking for a house cleaner. 4 hrs a week. You should be able to get someone for $15 an hour or less, cash. You supply all the cleaning products and equipment. I always gave an Xmas bonus and gave her two paid skips for vacation. Mine would keep a little book with things she would get done so she did not always repeat the next week (vacuuming out registers and the like). Musts were always Bathrooms , Hard Floors, Dust and Vacuum. We have a 3 1/2 bathroom house, so not every bathroom needed to be cleaned every week, so she would alternate and change sheets, fold laundry sometimes. You may end up going through a few before you find one you like, however eventually you will. Lock up your valuables and mark your booze. You need to do this anytime you have unattended workers in your home. Video surveillance is ideal. The cleaning service companies like "The Maids" are crazy expensive for what you get.

Last edited:
Don’t you have kids? Make them do that.

they are 8 and 6 so their time will come. We have a very steep hill in our yard that I don't want them mowing ever. There is a creek between us and our neighbors so we have lots of uneven ground to mow. Mr. Birch slipped and fell twice and the lawn service was hired immediately after the second fall. He escaped injury twice and I didn't feel like tempting fate by giving it a third shot at him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT