ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think this game is going to be close this weekend?

Not sure how to read ISU… they’re definitely good but the loss of Bacon 🥓 Iowa should impose its will and run the ball and keep the defense honest and then that will definitely open up the passing vice versa… I think Iowa’s defense will once again prevail and be the difference maker and win by 10 or 17 points - crowd needs to be into it early and often and be patient with them… I would love to see a 35-0 blanking of ISU… who knows though- that’s why they lace em up
No.

Iowa - 41
ISU - 3

I think we can expect a close tough game that will be decided by turnovers and or penalties.

If Iowa takes care of the ball, takes care of business, by setting the right tempo; Iowa should gain seperation, dating back to 1977.

23 Iowa, good game, 30 as others have mentioned.

14-15 points for Iowa State, though one person mentioned 17.

there are reports that the offense has looked in practice this week...
which means there are problems on defense..
anybody else seriously concerned with our defense going into this game?
Seriously concerned? The only times the defense has struggled recently is when the offense has put them in terrible positions with turnovers against very good teams. The PSU game is a potential exception. So I guess the question would be do you think ISU came execute the PSU game plan.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaTwitterSkank
My only two concerns at the moment.
1. Our O Tackles get Cade hurt
2. ISU hits a few big plays on the outside. I get the feeling they are going to try to stretch us at corner big time.

If those don’t happen we win by 17 to 20. But these games have been crazy.

Kirk. Let Lester call the game.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaTwitterSkank
Been listening to a lot of podcasts previewing the game. One thing I learned was ISU's poor trench play. That would explain their poor run defense against North Dakota. The reason they never scored was due to stalling out around the 30. But they also won the time possession, keeping the ball out of the offense's hands and limiting the score. Those are the two keys for us to win: Win the Time of Possession and get the run game going. Keeping the ball out of their hands will limit their chances and make them force throws and make mistakes.

I believe the Clowns will do the exact opposite of what we do on offense, they'll pass first to open up their run game. I don't think they'll be successful with the run at all, and they'll be forced to throw. Not only does our secondary need to step up, but our day will be a whole lot easier if Graves and Black harass Brecht all game.

Long story short: If Iowa is successful running the ball, they win.

For a great analysis on the game, albeit a bit dry, the guys on the ANF Podcast go into great detail. They're pretty bullish on Iowa.

I don't think ISU scores 10 pts.

TBH Im scared kinda by my optimism in this game. Usually when that happens historically, I end up disappointed.

Home game, great weather, one of the best defenses in the country returning almost everyone and held the last opponent to s shut out, playing against a first year internal promotion OC. Finally we seem to have weapons on offense and a serviceable OL.

I cant see how we lose. Which, is probably why we do. I have more confidence in this Iowa/ISU game then I have in years. Am I crazy?

TBH Im scared kinda by my optimism in this game. Usually when that happens historically, I end up disappointed.

Home game, great weather, one of the best defenses in the country returning almost everyone and held the last opponent to s shut out, playing against a first year internal promotion OC. Finally we seem to have weapons on offense and a serviceable OL.

I cant see how we lose. Which, is probably why we do. I have more confidence in this Iowa/ISU game then I have in years. Am I crazy?
your last para encapsulates the upcoming loss perfectly

Reactions: Gus is dead

Nope- I don’t think so but I agree with you but this is ISU’s Super Bowl as we all know and they will be all jacked up and play lights out but in the end, Iowa will flatten them - I can’t wait for 2:30 on Saturday as we are on our way to IC from New Jersey on one of the 3 games we are going to… can’t wait to get out of this car as well and my fiancé is an absolute awful driver so I can’t wait to get there… 7.5 hours away and I am in gods country

Hey so far our defense has a shutout going for the season. They ain't gonna want to give that up just yet.
Our corners are going to get tested big time this Saturday. Rocco Brecht is an excellent passer. If he consistently has time to throw we will be in trouble. A good pass rush will be needed for 4 quarters. Like I’ve said, our cornerbacks are good, but we don’t have one that is as good as DeJean or Riley Moss. Hall is still inexperienced as is Nestor and D. Lee. They have some quality receivers. Go Hawks !

Not sure how to read ISU… they’re definitely good but the loss of Bacon 🥓 Iowa should impose its will and run the ball and keep the defense honest and then that will definitely open up the passing vice versa… I think Iowa’s defense will once again prevail and be the difference maker and win by 10 or 17 points - crowd needs to be into it early and often and be patient with them… I would love to see a 35-0 blanking of ISU… who knows though- that’s why they lace em up
Yes. Because I never underestimate Iowa State’s hate. They should change the name of the school to Iowa Hate.

Brommelkamp (local ESPN radio in the mornings) has Hawks by double digits and most confident in that in the last 7 or 8 years. He has tended to be on the quite critical side in recent years, so sort of shocked me.

Reactions: cidsports
31-13. No question about it, they are going to have to throw the ball. If we can come out of the gates and impose our will, I would take our defense against any team trying to play catch up and especially one that already likes to sling it around the yard.

As a ISU fan, this is the least confident I have been in years. Mostly bc of the ISU LB injuries. Injuries happen. Part of the game. It's why you have 105 guys on the roster. Sounds like some true freshmen LB will have to play a lot. Tough spot for a 18 year old kid. Kinnick Stadium. Cy-Hawk game. Yikes.

Iowas D is always good. Really good Sounds like ISU didn't play 3 OL last week vs North Dakota. Who knows?

Maybe Campbell is lying in the weeds, didn't play a lot of guys, didn't show much? Who knows?

I do think Rocco is really good. Higgins, Noel, and Brahmer are really good. ISU has a lot of weapons on offense, but not sure they can score on Iowas D enough to win.

Goofy plays always seem to happen in this game. You can't discount the emotional piece in a rivalry game.

I'm hoping for the best, but think Iowa wins. Hope for a good game free of injuries on either side.

As a ISU fan, this is the least confident I have been in years. Mostly bc of the ISU LB injuries. Injuries happen. Part of the game. It's why you have 105 guys on the roster. Sounds like some true freshmen LB will have to play a lot. Tough spot for a 18 year old kid. Kinnick Stadium. Cy-Hawk game. Yikes.

Iowas D is always good. Really good Sounds like ISU didn't play 3 OL last week vs North Dakota. Who knows?

Maybe Campbell is lying in the weeds, didn't play a lot of guys, didn't show much? Who knows?

I do think Rocco is really good. Higgins, Noel, and Brahmer are really good. ISU has a lot of weapons on offense, but not sure they can score on Iowas D enough to win.

Goofy plays always seem to happen in this game. You can't discount the emotional piece in a rivalry game.

I'm hoping for the best, but think Iowa wins. Hope for a good game free of injuries on either side.
Who is the said 18 year old LB, so I can focus on him to see how he does the first series.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
So, playing Devils advocate here, as I'm known to do. When was the last time we truly "imposed our will " on anyone in the run game? Especially a Power 5 team. I don't expect Iowa St to score more than 10 unless we turn the ball over 3-4 times. Not sure why anyone thinks we're going to just come out and run the ball down Iowa St's throat. We just don't. 24 -10 would be an extremely encouraging win in my opinion and rushing for 150 yards and Cade throwing for 150-175 would be encouraging as well. I just want to see us improving and looking like a real offense, having our receivers catch 6-8 balls. Baby steps!

No, you're not crazy at all. In a similar boat as you. This has the feelings of either being a comfortable to a very comfortable win OR a WTF scenario that will have us absolutely reeling. It's ISU and they aren't a bad team by any means. I feel like ISU knows that they're against all odds here and that makes them dangerous.

I do recall a recent poster stating they thought ISU was a legit playoff contender though and I chuckled at that. Not buying that stock at all but they are a decent opponent that can't be overlooked.

From the 2nd quarter on and really all game ND was GASHING them in the run game. Even on running downs. If Iowa's O-line is better than ND, we should see big runs early and often.

Reactions: Old Uncle Teddy
NOPE! Hawks by a Million
soccer GIF by University of Iowa Hawkeyes Athletics

Our corners are going to get tested big time this Saturday. Rocco Brecht is an excellent passer. If he consistently has time to throw we will be in trouble. A good pass rush will be needed for 4 quarters. Like I’ve said, our cornerbacks are good, but we don’t have one that is as good as DeJean or Riley Moss. Hall is still inexperienced as is Nestor and D. Lee. They have some quality receivers. Go Hawks !
I fear that we put something on tape that ISU is good enough to exploit On Harris’ pick, he makes a play and jumps the underneath route. A great play by Harris no doubt, but also a very dangerous one.

A double-move/pump fake with a similar route combination, and there might be a lot of green behind Jermari.

Don't forget the boost by having KF back in the house and locker room/sideline too....that can't be understated, but yes, once the game starts and we control the LOS on both sides, could be tough sledding for ISU.

Reactions: Madman_1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT