ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them (Brendan Sullivan visiting May 7)

Cade having mobility issues is a reason that Lester could start someone ahead of him. If one of the QBs is as good as Cade and can run better and move around better then maybe Lester starts that other qb
It's hard to envision Cade being healthy enough. He hasn't been 100% at any point since he arrived in Iowa City...and isn't close now.
Our QB room is thin...very thin. The offense has been neglected for so long. If Lester can get us to "average" he'll have done a hell of a job.

Last edited:
You kind of missed the whole point actually. Do you think Cade will play a full season? Given his injury history and our poor O line play, what are the chances that he plays a meaningful number of games?
I think what I'll say, without knowing anything more than you do, I have no idea. There have been players that come back and play from knee injuries and players that don't. The, pull numbers out of my a$$ and post them online, is not what I'm going to do with this situation. We need another qb in any event and we need a much improved oline, IMHO.

Sullivan's stats for the last 2 years are easy to find on espn. Based on these stats I would say you either mis-heard what was on the podcast or the podcasters are delusional. Those are very good stats below. I would say that if Iowa had Sullivan last year and he could have completed passes at that percentage the hawks play offense much better. But I suspect our offense would have limited him. At 7.2 yards per attempt that is very good and probably few turnovers.

Career Stats​

See All
STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
I have no idea who this guy is, or how credible he might be, but he ranked Sullivan 14th out of 18 BIG quarterbacks heading into 2024. One spot ahead of Sullivan at #13 is Cade McNamara.

FWIW.

I think what I'll say, without knowing anything more than you do, I have no idea. There have been players that come back and play from knee injuries and players that don't. The, pull numbers out of my a$$ and post them online, is not what I'm going to do with this situation. We need another qb in any event and we need a much improved oline, IMHO.
This board is loaded with opinions. I was just playing around with some estimates. It’s just to foster discussion. I hope I am wrong or we land someone better from the portal, but the odds are not in our favor with Cade’s durability. I am not optimistic about our O line as well.

I have no idea who this guy is, or how credible he might be, but he ranked Sullivan 14th out of 18 BIG quarterbacks heading into 2024. One spot ahead of Sullivan at #13 is Cade McNamara.

FWIW.

LOL!

That’s some random Michigan State fan with 300 followers on Twitter.

It is literally the same as any one of us ranking the returning B1G QBs.

He also thinks MSU will 10 games this year.

Agreed, several of his rankings of QB’s are quite head scratching. Particularly, in regard to Minnesota and the true freshman at Nebraska.
I mainly thought it was interesting that Sullivan was only one spot behind McNamara.

Good grief. So, you think it is KF who is evaluating all of the QBs in the portal? Or is it Lester?

It's obviously Lester.

And if Lester is interested in a portal QB, he then obviously discusses it with KF.

Lester is trying to fix the QB room (and the offense, obviously). Getting Deacon to move on by entering the portal is just the start to fixing the mess he inherited.
God help us if that's still the case.
You are just spewing with no substance. It has been documented many times that Kirk delegates to his assistants. Hopefully Lester finds a good QB in the portal that fits his system and can get him to Iowa. His preferance is:

1. A QB with mobility
2. Efficient QB
3. QB with the arm to take shots downfield.
No, actually all recruits are signed off on by the head coach, KF is no different.

Sure he delegates some recruiting. But the final say on every player is his.

It's funny how people aren't willing to credit KF for the same things they blame him for.

The credit for every recruit that has ever turned into a good player at Iowa goes to KF. Just like he is to blame for every recruit that was a bust. He structures his recruiting strategies and delegations. Even if KF 100% delegates offensive recruiting to TL, and 100% uses Lester's suggestions, then the credit and blame go to KF for having done so

Reactions: SnootHawk and F5n5
No, actually all recruits are signed off on by the head coach, KF is no different.

It's funny how people aren't willing to credit KF for the same things they blame him for.

The credit for every recruit that has ever turned into a good player at Iowa goes to KF. Just like he is to blame for every recruit that was a bust. He structures his recruiting strategies and delegations. Even if KF 100% delegates offensive recruiting to TL, and 100% uses Lester's suggestions, then the credit and blame go to KF for having done so

I largely agree but I am sure KF empowers his coaches and trusts their recommendations, as they are the ones putting in most of the research, relationship building, etc. KF has the final sign off I would think (like you said) but I doubt it is heavy handed top down.

Last edited:
LOL!

That’s some random Michigan State fan with 300 followers on Twitter.

It is literally the same as any one of us ranking the returning B1G QBs.

He also thinks MSU will 10 games this year.
and possibly less.

It's hard to envision Cade being healthy enough. He hasn't been 100% at any point since he arrived in Iowa City...and isn't close now. Our QB room is thin...very thin. The offense has been neglected for so long. If Lester can get us to "average" he'll have done a hell of a job.

Tim Lester turned 47 on Feb 8th. He's a former head coach, of course.

IF he gets the offense functioning, I wonder if he'd be in line (or at least a serious candidate) to be the next Moon Family University of Iowa Head Football Coach (damn, that takes a long time to type ;) )

Seth Wallace the next DC?

Just brain storming....

IF he gets the offense functioning, I wonder if he'd be in line (or at least a serious candidate) to be the next Moon Family University of Iowa Head Football Coach (damn, that takes a long time to type ;) )

Just brain storming....
Lester would definitely play well with the big donors and on the circuit.

When it comes to Parker's DB recruits, I'm guessing that KF's final say is akin to King Charles' consent over the UK parliament.

Just brain storming....
Most of us said for a long time that Brian F was not head coach material unless he went and got 4-5 years experience and results as a good head coach, above avg is better.

Let's say Kirk coaches 4-6 more years and Lester is still here and has improved the offense each year more or less to be a middle ranked offense or better. I think Lester would then be a top contender to get the Iowa head coaches job. He would have successful head coaching experience, shown he can recruit and have a good offense and fix this offense, seems likeable to the big donors etc.

Seth Wallace is waiting in the wings I would say. But you never know what can happen if the new head coach comes from outside the program. Many a really good coach have been been skipped for promotion

Reactions: Franisdaman
Most of us said for a long time that Brian F was not head coach material unless he went and got 4-5 years experience and results as a good head coach, above avg is better.

Let's say Kirk coaches 4-6 more years and Lester is still here and has improved the offense each year more or less to be a middle ranked offense or better. I think Lester would then be a top contender to get the Iowa head coaches job. He would have successful head coaching experience, shown he can recruit and have a good offense and fix this offense, seems likeable to the big donors etc.

Seth Wallace is waiting in the wings I would say. But you never know what can happen if the new head coach comes from outside the program. Many a really good coach have been been skipped for promotion
Seth could be a Phil type. One who doesn't want the top with all the "extras" that entails in terms of socializing and dancing for dollars and hand holding and dealing with press.

Think I'd rather have Lester than Wallace.

There are literally zero QBs in the portal right now Iowa should be interested in. I bet there are more that hit the portal between tomorrow and Thursday when schools are forced to file the paper work by.

There are literally zero QBs in the portal right now Iowa should be interested in. I bet there are more that hit the portal between tomorrow and Thursday when schools are forced to file the paper work by.
It’s slim pickings for sure. I could live with Schlee and would be good with Sullivan but I wouldn’t say I’d be super excited about either.

Reactions: weeterkane
It’s slim pickings for sure. I could live with Schlee and would be good with Sullivan but I wouldn’t say I’d be super excited about either.
Schlee is visiting VT or has, Sullivan was ranked what 10th among BIG qbs? I find it hard to believe that some of the depth these schools have will stick around. Oregon and OSU come to mind.

Schlee is visiting VT or has, Sullivan was ranked what 10th among BIG qbs? I find it hard to believe that some of the depth these schools have will stick around. Oregon and OSU come to mind.
Everyone is waiting to see which OSU qb will enter. Harty said he read where Brown said he’s not leaving but he’s often wrong. I haven’t seen anything recent from Brown.

We already dropped the ball on Ty Thompson from Oregon. Whether it was because we didn’t have an OC or they told him to wait behind Cade, both were mistakes.

Everyone is waiting to see which OSU qb will enter. Harty said he read where Brown said he’s not leaving but he’s often wrong. I haven’t seen anything recent from Brown.

We already dropped the ball on Ty Thompson from Oregon. Whether it was because we didn’t have an OC or they told him to wait behind Cade, both were mistakes.
I thought the word on Thompson was that he wanted the guaranteed starting role? There is going to be another QB or two entering that Iowa should have strong interest in, even if it's for the future.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Well, I agree on the being selective part, because even if Cade does well this year, we are going to need some competition for the starting job next year. Marco should be doing well by then so even if they can;t beat Cade out this year, they should be good enough to give Marco competition (or just win the starting job) next year.

Reactions: HawkGem11
Let's face it - we're not going to be "excited" about ANYONE that we get for QB from the portal. I'll take anyone with a history of some measure of success to compete with ML. And I seriously doubt that a QB is suddenly going to pop up in the portal in the next 2 days that is going to turn out to be the savior. Iowa should have had an OC in place mid-December recruiting a portal QB (knowing full well that DH was not going to cut it). We'll get leftovers to choose from now. But let's be real - someone else's leftovers is probably a heck of a lot better than we've had the past several years...

I thought the word on Thompson was that he wanted the guaranteed starting role? There is going to be another QB or two entering that Iowa should have strong interest in, even if it's for the future.
I think he just wanted to know there was a path there and the message was Cade is qb1. They need to tell every prospect they’re open to it.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I largely agree but I am sure KF empowers his coaches and trusts their recommendations, as they are the ones putting in most of the research, relationship building, etc. KF has the final sign off I would think (like you said) but I doubt it is heavy handed top down.
Perfect example of this was Josey Jewel. KF admits he couldn't see it when looking at tape, but Reese was adamant that Josey would be an impact player at Iowa. KF kept telling him no....finally, on signing day, Reese made one last push and KF relented. The rest, as they say, is history.

I think he just wanted to know there was a path there and the message was Cade is qb1. They need to tell every prospect they’re open to it.
Again, I don't think this was the case, and the evidence is there when he chose Tulane. He waited for his shot in Eugene and they "portalled" over him. Honestly makes you wonder a bit about these 4/5* Qbs and their recruitment moving forward, Hell Nelson to Boise was just as crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT