ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them (Brendan Sullivan visiting May 7)

Sullivan is still available, and maybe they are happy with Marco. Next year would be his 3rd year on campus.

Sullivan is still available, and maybe they are happy with Marco. Next year would be his 3rd year on campus.
Yeah, to your point, I think we can wait to see what happens before burning down Kinnick Stadium.

I still thinking there are a few clinging onto the idea that since they don’t have portal QB by today, they can’t get one.

Without getting anybody, they are probably in a better spot than a year ago. They still have Cade, and they’ll have two not Deacons.

Well, I think Hill moved on because Marco passed him up. That said, everyone has mentioned Marco has almost zero experience and has some accuracy issues. So if this is how we are going into fall, I expect a 2 qb deal for awhile, to get Marco some experience.

It's amazing that there's still a decent chance the Iowa offense is better next season. They will still be bad, but better.
Not having a couple of serviceable backup QBs to turn to when your made of fragile glass designated starter goes down is consistent with the Iowa offensive "plan" of late. Lester may turn out to be good, but fixing the QB issues in one off season was too big a task.

Reactions: squeezebox
It's amazing that there's still a decent chance the Iowa offense is better next season. They will still be bad, but better.
Not having a couple of serviceable backup QBs to turn to when your made of fragile glass designated starter goes down is consistent with the Iowa offensive "plan" of late. Lester may turn out to be good, but fixing the QB issues in one off season was too big a task.
1152 yards, 48.6% completion rate, 5TD/8INT, -114 yards rushing.......this shouldn't take much, and I have every bit of faith Marco can put up better numbers. None of this brings up a new OC.

1152 yards, 48.6% completion rate, 5TD/8INT, -114 yards rushing.......this shouldn't take much, and I have every bit of faith Marco can put up better numbers. None of this brings up a new OC.
-114 yards rushing is objectively funny.

Unfortunately for Lester, he did not have a chance to begin fixing the QB room until he was hired after the first wave of portal movings. Not his fault.....that lies with KF. Now what is going on behind the scenes right now I have NO idea but I am giving Lester a ton of latitude this year. I do believe our run game will be miles better, Marco is miles better than DH and will see a BUNCH of time awaiting Cade to come back AND we need another QB for depth purposes. It is not perfect by a long shot.....no doubt.

If he'd had decent passing numbers nobody would have cared about -114 yards rushing, especially behind that oline. Lots of good QB's have had meager or even negative rushing numbers due to sacks. Stanley for one.
this is more than valid with QBs getting hit for sacks and negative rushing yards, but when you add it to the rest, it really says something.

Reactions: pink shizzle
this is more than valid with QBs getting hit for sacks and negative rushing yards, but when you add it to the rest, it really says something.
Oh he was terrible. There's no argument there. It's just that QB's in this program where mobility hasn't always been a strength or utilized to any degree seldom run for much yardage. Even Beathard who was a very mobile guy when healthy in 2015 only had 237 total yards for the season. I think that's the high water mark since Banks who ran for over 400 in that magical 2005 season.

Oh he was terrible. There's no argument there. It's just that QB's in this program where mobility hasn't always been a strength or utilized to any degree seldom run for much yardage. Even Beathard who was a very mobile guy when healthy in 2015 only had 237 total yards for the season. I think that's the high water mark since Banks who ran for over 400 in that magical 2005 season.
Ton of variables between hopefully a semi-new offensive scheme, I do think Marco might be more athletic than CJ, certainly doesn't have the arm. That 2015 OL was one of the better in Kirk's tenure as well.

If it's Kirk and Brian, why isn't it Kirk and Tim? Before that, it was Kirk and Ken then Kirk and Greg. Kirk delegates to his coordinators, but sets the parameters.
You guys are really a weird bunch. My point was that Kirk hiring his mini-me only served to exacerbate the fact that Kirk isn't some dynamic offensive mind and bringing in Brian as his protege brought predictable results. Instead of other voices in the room like Davis or KOK, you had a father-son team without a clue on how to build an offense. The results speak loudly.

I already said that if the offense turns around, then Kirk deserves credit for hiring Lester and creating an environment for him to be successful. That's what a good manager does and that's why they've been successful in defense and special teams. He's not been able to accomplish that same level of success on the offensive side and it's a reflection of the hires that he's made.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
Ton of variables between hopefully a semi-new offensive scheme, I do think Marco might be more athletic than CJ, certainly doesn't have the arm. That 2015 OL was one of the better in Kirk's tenure as well.
I think we can all be confident in saying that CJ had better mobility than Vandenberg, Petras, or Hill. I'd settle for just some level of pocket awareness at this point.

Crazy that unless Cade is prime Cade (if that’s even possible) OSU has 5 QBs on their roster better than any on Iowas… how nuts is that? But I guess if they are dumb enough t to stay maybe we don’t want them??? Never mind yes, yes we do…
yeah, not sure if true that no OSU qbs have portaled. If I am a talented soph QB at OSU and looking at being 4th string this year and probably next I would be looking for some kind of team that needs a really talented QB. I wonder if there are any teams out there with lousy offenses and QB play

Well, I think Hill moved on because Marco passed him up. That said, everyone has mentioned Marco has almost zero experience and has some accuracy issues. So if this is how we are going into fall, I expect a 2 qb deal for awhile, to get Marco some experience.
It would be wise to get Marco some snaps early in the season if he is QB2. They did stuff like that early in KF's tenure when QB2 was green, e.g., Drew Tate in 2003.

You guys are really a weird bunch. My point was that Kirk hiring his mini-me only served to exacerbate the fact that Kirk isn't some dynamic offensive mind and bringing in Brian as his protege brought predictable results. Instead of other voices in the room like Davis or KOK, you had a father-son team without a clue on how to build an offense. The results speak loudly.

I already said that if the offense turns around, then Kirk deserves credit for hiring Lester and creating an environment for him to be successful. That's what a good manager does and that's why they've been successful in defense and special teams. He's not been able to accomplish that same level of success on the offensive side and it's a reflection of the hires that he's made.
Why do you assume Brian was a mini-me?

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Maybe right probably doesn't beat healthy Cade but Cade hasn't been healthy since Michigan
I think he was 85% until his injury last year.
My concern is a “non contact body weight move” made him unplayable.
Going back to the UM vs UI dr’s opinions of the initial injury also is a concern.
Cade will do everything he can to play and win but anyone with a brain can see the concern. His leadership is critical to 2024 but any good manager has a plan B.

Why do you assume Brian was a mini-me?
Brian had zero experience as an OC and 90% of his overall experience as a player and as a coach were under his father. It's pretty safe to say that most of what he learned about football was imprinted from his father. Also, anybody who believes that Kirk's impulse wasn't to become almost exclusively involved with Brian and the offense these last 2 years as he and his son drew the increased wrath of fans and media alike simply isn't thinking clearly. He was all in on his son and it crashed in spectacular fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang_hawk
First of all, how do we know any of that is true. Other than he decided not to visit.

Second, why would they guarantee him the starting job? There is a much more accomplished (injured) QB on campus. They couldn’t guarantee him the job. That would be stupid.
You must not get Chad Leistikow’s texts detailing info regarding Iowa football and Thompson deciding not to visit due to him wanting to go to a program where he is the number one qb.

Why would it be stupid to guarantee him the starting job? Cade is recovering from a torn ACL, two bad knees, then there is Hill and Lainez. Thompson is a five star qb that is healthy and can lead the O during spring drills with the new OC. Thompson is your starting qb going into spring and fall.

You are in a better position with Thompson compared to a recovering McNamara that was injured during spring ball recovering, got injured during fall camp, only to tear an ACL during a game last fall. It’s a no brainer to bring in a healthy five star qb with him as your presumptive starter.

Reactions: desihawk
Gavin Wimsatt of Rutgers is now in the portal. He wouldn't be my first choice, but definitely more athletic than anyone we've had for a while.
He couldn't beat out Athan Kaliakmanus from the Gophers, who had 14 TDs and 9 picks and was just over 50%? He be no choice for me.

He couldn't beat out Athan Kaliakmanus from the Gophers, who had 14 TDs and 9 picks and was just over 50%? He be no choice for me.

My, how the Iowa offense has fallen from just five short years ago. All in the name of keeping the son as OC and to think they both (KF & BF) wanted to play it back again this year with injuries as the reason why it should happen.

I'd like another view on that.

My mom does voice texts. She never proofreads them or edits them; she just hits send. When I asked her about this, she said, "I can't help it if she doesn't understand what I said."

My dad learned from her, I guess. He sent out a text that started like this: "This is dead...." I figured out he meant "dad."

If Marco passing Deacon is true, I guess Lester got rid of the union cards. ;)

Regarding Marco's accuracy issues: in the offseason, he pays a QB Coach. Why doesn't that guy fix the flaws?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT