ADVERTISEMENT

Documentaries

fsu1jreed

HR King
Apr 1, 2002
What you got? Last night on Amazon I watched:
  • Bunker77- (from IMDB) - is the wild true story of a young American rebel seeking freedom, love, and authenticity in a chaotic world. Bunker Spreckels, Clark Gable's stepson and heir to a sugar fortune, defied expectations and grew into a controversial surf star from the late 60s into the 70s.
  • Banksy And The Rise Of Outlaw Art - (from IMDB) - Banksy, the world's most infamous street artist, whose political art, criminal stunts, and daring invasions outraged the establishment and created a revolutionary new movement while his identity remained shrouded in mystery.
Both are very good, but Banksy was very interesting Ifrom a social commentary perspective. I just wish I was in Central Park when he was selling his art for $60, a lady bought two for $50 and sold them for $125K.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
This one is very good.......you kind of get sick to your stomach when you watch someone die

The Summit - The story of the deadliest day on the world's most dangerous mountain, when 11 climbers mysteriously perished on K2.

This one is very good.......you kind of get sick to your stomach when you watch someone die

The Summit - The story of the deadliest day on the world's most dangerous mountain, when 11 climbers mysteriously perished on K2.

This documentary put me down a 3 month rabbit hole about K2 and Everest. Pemba Gyalje is f@cking Superman.

Reactions: Fluffles
Sea of Darkness.

Won every festival it was entered in and widely considered the best surf doc ever made, but was squashed and hidden by politicans,industry insiders, etc. Set in Bali and other South Pacific islands, it showcases post-Vietnam era drug smuggling, arms-dealing, piracy, and more. Great doc even if you know jack squat about surfing!

A Classroom Divided

This is a documentary about an Iowa teacher who, on the day after MLK was shot, did an experiment where she segregated the kids with brown eyes and blue eyes. The blue eyed kids were put to shame all day, while the brown eyed kids were treated much better. She had one group as brown eyes one day and then switched the next day.

After doing this, she lost her friends and her kids were bullied. She still says that, had she known the way she and her family were going to be treated, she wouldn't have done it. She has now done this experiment for numerous businesses and institution to show them racism and it's effects. She was on the Tonight Show this spring talking about it as well.

• Bunker77- (from IMDB) - is the wild true story of a young American rebel seeking freedom, love, and authenticity in a chaotic world. Bunker Spreckels, Clark Gable's stepson and heir to a sugar fortune, defied expectations and grew into a controversial surf star from the late 60s into the 70s.
  • Banksy And The Rise Of Outlaw Art - (from IMDB) - Banksy, the world's most infamous street artist, whose political art, criminal stunts, and daring invasions outraged the establishment and created a revolutionary new movement while his identity remained shrouded in mystery.
Both are very good, but Banksy was very interesting Ifrom a social commentary perspective. I just wish I was in Central Park when he was selling his art for $60, a lady bought two for $50 and sold them for $125K.

The Silk Road on Amazon is amazing once you get past the first episode in Venice. It’s a great travel documentary that stops at about 20 cities from the beginning in Venice to the end in Xian China. In between are all kinds of amazing cities you never hear about in places like Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan that I now want to visit.

The Naked Archaeologist also on Amazon is fascinating as it goes into the true history of the Bible including things like how Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals first net and bred in the Levantine area and that’s likely the origin of a lot of ancient portion of the Old Testament stories about angels, nephilim and giants. Just truly fascinating stuff and worth watching whether religious or not.

WW2 in HD was a good old history channel series if you missed it.

The Price of Everything - If you want to understand how silly and stupid the world of high-priced modern art really is.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed and Moral
This is a much watch for foodies or anyone interested in better understanding what it takes to become a true master of a craft.

By the same guy that does the Chefs Table series on Netflix.
Jiro.jpg

I know you're a fellow Vidiot so you probably saw this. If not, watch it now.

A lot of good ones on here. Just watched Class Action Park. Sour Grapes and Tickled are good.

My all time favorite documentary, and one of my favorite overall films of all time, is King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters. If you haven't seen it, see it.

I just noticed another one of my favorite documentaries just made it to Amazon Prime for free. It's called My Child Could Paint That. Great doc that's never gotten a lot of hype. Would be a good companion to the other art documentaries mentioned. I can't recommend it highly enough.

And if you like music documentaries, I strongly suggest The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians that played on half of the classics of the 1960s. If you ever wonder how the 1960s had such a tremendous output of pop/rock music, that explains it. There's a similar one for the Motown session band called Standing in the Shadows of Motown that is also worth watching.

I watch a million documentaries, and been watching a lot lately.

This one on Willie Nelson and his guitar, Trigger, is a great way to spend 12 minutes. Not sure there's ever been an instrument that better fits its' owner. Willie & Trigger are like what they say about a dog & its' owner - after some time they begin to look like each other. That's certainly the case with Willie & Trigger.

If you're looking for sweaty palms and an entertaining 2 hours, I highly recommend Free Solo. Damn good doc. Has you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

A lot of good ones on here. Just watched Class Action Park. Sour Grapes and Tickled are good.

My all time favorite documentary, and one of my favorite overall films of all time, is King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters. If you haven't seen it, see it.

I just noticed another one of my favorite documentaries just made it to Amazon Prime for free. It's called My Child Could Paint That. Great doc that's never gotten a lot of hype. Would be a good companion to the other art documentaries mentioned. I can't recommend it highly enough.

And if you like music documentaries, I strongly suggest The Wrecking Crew, about the session musicians that played on half of the classics of the 1960s. If you ever wonder how the 1960s had such a tremendous output of pop/rock music, that explains it. There's a similar one for the Motown session band called Standing in the Shadows of Motown that is also worth watching.

I watch a million documentaries, and been watching a lot lately.
Aren't there a few hrot posters who know the people in King of Kong pretty well? I think there was a famous arcade featured in the film that was in some small Iowa town.

Last edited:

A bloody nose, empty pockets, a rented car with a trunk full of guns
It ain't true that the sun don't rise in Vegas,
I've seen it once
She might have been somebody's mama
He might have been somebody's son
But if the sun went down on them that night in Vegas,
Their luck was good as gone
They'll be after me by the time the buffet closes,
Making sure sin city still shines brighter than creations dark
If all you need is a badge to take what's left from those who lost it,
A badge ain't no more real than bullets are
A bloody nose, empty pockets, a rented car with a trunk full of guns
Checkout time is sundown in Las Vegas,
But it only rises once

Checkout Time in Vegas - Drive By Truckers (Mike Cooley)

If you like hockey and don’t know the story of the 1990s Redwings teams, The Russian Five is very good. I saw it on a plane once so not sure where it is available.

If you like hockey and don’t know the story of the 1990s Redwings teams, The Russian Five is very good. I saw it on a plane once so not sure where it is available.

Same with the Broad Street Bullies one on the Flyers.

If you're looking for sweaty palms and an entertaining 2 hours, I highly recommend Free Solo. Damn good doc. Has you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

If you like Free Solo, I’d recommend Meru. It’s a good contrast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT