ADVERTISEMENT

Does college bball officiating upset you the most?

There is flopping in soccer?

You guys misunderstood me. I wasn't saying US soccer sucks. I was saying all soccer sucks.

But hey, you all control your own remotes. Kick back, watch a 3 hour game where the score ends 2-1 while drinking some citrus flavored IPA. I'd rather watch bull riding or the PBA over soccer while drinking a red, white and blue Pabst Blue Ribbon.

my 2 boys played high school soccer , took me a while to kind of figured it out and once i did i enjoy watching . one thing i would like to see them do and it is kind of radical is get rid of off sides . i think it would open up the game .

I actually think it would have the opposite problem. It would cause defenses to sag back further which is much harder to break down.

I like where your head is at though!

I actually think it would have the opposite problem. It would cause defenses to sag back further which is much harder to break down.

I like where your head is at though!
very true but it might open up the middle of the field .

You guys misunderstood me. I wasn't saying US soccer sucks. I was saying all soccer sucks.

But hey, you all control your own remotes. Kick back, watch a 3 hour game where the score ends 2-1 while drinking some citrus flavored IPA. I'd rather watch bull riding or the PBA over soccer while drinking a red, white and blue Pabst Blue Ribbon.
If you think that soccer is three hours, then you don’t even know enough about it to be able to have a legit opinion

And bull riding + PBA? All you’re missing is NASCAR to complete the “waste of a Sunday” trifecta

thank you . hey you also kick back in your basement easy chair why mommy is fixing you a snack before bed time while you try and think up a new conspiracy theory . dont forget to change your diaper before going to sleep . good night DSD . lol lol lol

If you think that soccer is three hours, then you don’t even know enough about it to be able to have a legit opinion

And bull riding + PBA? All you’re missing is NASCAR to complete the “waste of a Sunday” trifecta
be careful . he will be telling us how bad the officiating is in soccer next .

i dont think you are man enough for a PBR . lol

(If the Big Ten doesn't like the outcome of the officiating why do they retain almost 100% of the officiating staff every year?)

I wouldn't say the big 10 does not like the calls as much as the fan doesn't like the officiating calls

• Haha
Reactions: papabeef
Some of you might not like the NBA, but it’s a way more consistently officiated game. There is pretty much no doubt what is a block/charge. Most of you guys hate all the clutching and grabbing of Sparty, that is not allowed at all in the NBA. Way more freedom of movement.

The NBA has worked really hard with refs to standardize officiating. Many of the changes that have enabled freedom of movement and high scoring games have also helped refs to call a game more consistently. I'd like to see college refs go that way but they can't even enforce the rules they have in place particularly hand-checking and freedom of movement for the cutter. These were both "major officiating concerns' from last year yet nothing has motived the refs to change how they are calling these things. Last game, there were stretches where Minnesota players were committing these fouls every time down the floor. That's how Pitino teaches defense and until something is done about it, that's how they will continue to play defense.

Section 1: Article 3 & 4: A player shall not use his hand(s) on an opponent to inhibit the freedom of movement of the opponent in any way. The following acts constitute a foul when committed against a player with
the ball:
a. Keeping a hand or forearm on an opponent;
b. Putting two hands on an opponent;
c. Continually jabbing an opponent by extending an arm(s) and placing a hand or forearm on the opponent; and
d. Using an arm bar to impede the progress of a dribbler.

There are officials in soccer?

I just assumed the European etiquette practiced in soccer would obviate the need for officials. There's a race to be the first to surrender.

giphy.gif

College basketball, and more precisely Iowa basketball, is the only sport that causes the officiating to raise my blood pressure. That is because I am totally invested with my heart and soul into the sport and have been most of my life. I care about Iowa Football and watch every game, but rarely does the officiating decide a game. Being a Bears fan, I watch less and less of the NFL as I get older and, frankly, the Bears are usually the ones that commit the stupid infractions. I've always loved baseball, but can't quite get myself worked up over umpires making bad calls, either behind the plate or elsewhere. It's almost part of the charm and legacy of the sport.

For me, Iowa Basketball is a twelve month a year sport and I DO take it personally when I see officials make ridiculous, obviously incorrect calls against my Hawks. In my heart, I know that this attitude is somewhat juvenile for a man of my age, but I suspect it will never change and I will go to my grave "knowing" the Hawks got screwed on certain calls by certain refs.

College basketball, and more precisely Iowa basketball, is the only sport that causes the officiating to raise my blood pressure. That is because I am totally invested with my heart and soul into the sport and have been most of my life. I care about Iowa Football and watch every game, but rarely does the officiating decide a game. Being a Bears fan, I watch less and less of the NFL as I get older and, frankly, the Bears are usually the ones that commit the stupid infractions. I've always loved baseball, but can't quite get myself worked up over umpires making bad calls, either behind the plate or elsewhere. It's almost part of the charm and legacy of the sport.

For me, Iowa Basketball is a twelve month a year sport and I DO take it personally when I see officials make ridiculous, obviously incorrect calls against my Hawks. In my heart, I know that this attitude is somewhat juvenile for a man of my age, but I suspect it will never change and I will go to my grave "knowing" the Hawks got screwed on certain calls by certain refs.

Exactly the same. I only watched half of the Bears playoff game last Sunday. My only real investments are Iowa Bball and Iowa football and to a lesser extent, Braves baseball.

In football and baseball, coaches/managers can stop the game to have a play reviewed and corrected. Even though I’m not 100% sold that KF knows he can challenge a call, most football coaches can and do. In basketball, coaches can’t challenge or review common calls such as a common foul, traveling, double dribble, or even an out of bounds call outside of the last two minutes. Flagrant fouls even seem to be called way less after reviews than when they started going to the monitors. Overall, probably a good thing.

College basketball does get my blood boiling the most, as far as sports go. But I’ll add the closest I’ve ever came to being arrested in my life was sitting in Raymond James Stadium back Jan of 2006.

Football officiating isn’t as bad as basketball but I was a bit upset watching the left tackle,#70, for Alabama constantly hold the DE for OSU last night.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Only one thing upsets me more: presidents who instigate armed insurrections against their own country. Otherwise, those damn refs are pretty upsetting for sure.

• Haha
i dont think you are man enough for a PBR . lol

I've disproven that theory literally thousands of times. Falstaff and Ol' Mil as well. But you get right down to it nothing slakes the gandy dancer's thirst like a cold pint of Schlitz after ten hours of working on the track.

Let me tell you this boys, swinging a spiking maul for ten hours on an Iowa August day is definitely a job for manly men. Parents made me do that for three summers in college. But the old dog did it in style. Had cuffs on my OshKosh work pants and cut the sleeves off polo T shirts. I'm a BN man all the way, although I think they merged with the UP and have a new name. Still have $1.72 as a monthly retirement benefit from the Railroad Retirement Fund (I think, I last checked in the 90s).

Those union lifers had me chewing Redman Tobacco. They couldn't get me into cowboy boots though.

NBA refs are better than college, but they miss calls too. This was called a foul (after the carry). :)

Sure they miss calls. Point is they have a pretty clear objective on how the game is to be called and that’s how it’s done.

Yep, my point is, I don't think the refs were cheating/paid off. They just missed it ... they are human. :)

Most calls aren't cheating. Most mistakes are human error.

The suspicion of cheating/gambling/game fixing happens when there is no good faith human error explanation for the call (Jim Bain, most egregious example) or where one team is getting the advantage of a disproportionately large percentage of the bad calls/no calls. When its the same officials involved in those situations more than once a year, after multiple years you have to wonder why the guy still has a job?

• Haha
Wondering if its just me. There's bad calls in all sports, I get that and most dont bother me much, but nothing pisses me off and raises my blood pressure like college basketball. Its inconsistent and poor more than good. my hats off to these kids keeping their cool on the floor.

The inconsistency is what drives me nuts; call it the same both ways.

And grabbing and holding should be a foul each and every time, whether Tom Izzo likes it or not.

And one problem for the future is people are not getting into the profession. So, if there is a small pool of candidates to choose from, you are probably gonna end up w/ officials who probably should not be at the P5 level.

"euro-step" and "step-back" have made officiating more difficult. Now what used to be traveling is somehow legal...apparently...at least to many officials

^^^^^^^Exhibit A of what's wrong^^^^^^

"euro-step" and "step-back" have made officiating more difficult. Now what used to be traveling is somehow legal...apparently...at least to many officials

^^^^^^^Exhibit A of what's wrong^^^^^^

Euro-step & step-back are not travels. Especially the Euro-step...just because they take two long steps that "look weird" doesn't make it a travel.

And there are travels disguised as a euro step or a step back that go uncalled. Hence the frustration with officiating. How many “step backs” that were actually travels went uncalled this year against Iowa so far? At least two that I’ve seen.

Reactions: thewop
And there are travels disguised as a euro step or a step back that go uncalled. Hence the frustration with officiating. How many “step backs” that were actually travels went uncalled this year against Iowa so far? At least two that I’ve seen.
Case in point. The first MN game, MN 3 pointer in the final MN to make overtime a real possibility. A travel labeled a step-back by the announcer.

Reactions: iahawks10
Indiana-Purdue game the other night. There was a missed free throw. Indiana player called for a foul and did nothing but move.

If you want to get technical, how many times could the officials call "carrying the ball" during each contest?

a few . carrying the ball requires that the hand at some point in time points toward the sky or above horizontal .

And no one wants to see the game stopped for "carrying" 20 times a game. I assume every team keeps a book on every possible official. Those books should identify officials patterns. I also assume that the coaches and refs have some kind of professional contact and certainly chat before games, etc....

That makes sense because officials clearly have varied discretionary interpretation of the black and white text, and thank God for that. The questions arise when the officials mistakes disproportionately benefit one team, or long runs of swallowed whistles also benefiting just one team. The individual official's professional traits are each what they are; Consistent application to both teams is all we can ask for.

• Haha

Nooooo, NASCAR is only slightly less boring than track and much much louder. At least there are some cool wrecks, but you can get those on Sports Center. The only wasted Sundays are those without American or Canadian football, any other football, PGA majors and even the occasional ATP Grand Slam. Now, on those few Sundays where only baseball or soccer are available I can watch thousands of documentaries and dramatized war movies where Americans, who play football, kick the asses of whatever enemy in whatever era sounds good. Before the creation of football the USA was just one of several major powers. After the invention of football we acquired an overseas empire, kicked the Germans' asses, came back kicked the much worse Germans' asses again, this time with their major power allies one of whom we actually got to nuke, beat back the Sovs and then bankrupted them.

Those soccer playing Euro pussies only exist because football playing America won't let the Russians roll 'em up like crêpes, not even as dangerous as Nicaraguan crêpes.

Last edited:
Reactions: unoHawkeye
Nooooo, NASCAR is only slightly less boring than track and much much louder. At least there are some cool wrecks, but you can get those on Sports Center. The only wasted Sundays are those without American or Canadian football, any other football, PGA majors and even the occasional ATP Grand Slam. Now, on those few Sundays where only baseball or soccer are available I can watch thousands of documentaries and dramatized war movies where American, who play football, kick the asses of whatever enemy in whatever era sounds good. Before the creation of football the USA was just one of several big bad ass major powers. After the invention of football we acquired an overseas empire, kicked the Germans' asses, came back kicked the much worse Germans' asses again, this time with their major power allies one of whom we actually got to nuke, beat back the Sovs and then bankrupted them.

Those soccer playing Euro pussies only exist because football playing America won't let the Russians roll 'em up like crêpes, not even as dangerous as Nicaraguan crêpes.
Well at least we can share appreciation for high quality golf and American troops’ badassery

ADVERTISEMENT