ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the best athletes you competed against?

Lisa Geske a few times, summer pickup hoops while she was attending UNI. We worked together at the same summer job. VERY good shooter.

Someone here will figure it out without googling...

I don't have much. But did get smoked a couple years by Trev Alberts in the 200m. I just missed going up against the AP studs (Devries, Kampman, Wiegmann).

In hs played football basketball golf and baseball against: Jared and Darian devries. Raef lafrentz. Casey weigman Jess settles Matt Sherman Zach Johnson in hs on the upper end.
Two of my college teammates played in the nfl
Coached against nick collison Derek pagel Ryan hannam psrker hesse Kampman and a lot of others.

Reactions: Chuck C
I played against Brian Kramer who went Nebraska and was a starting guard. He absolutly abused me. Lester Williams played at CR Jeff as a nose tackle and was so fast he was unblockable. He went to ISU and was a 4 year starter at DE.

CSB- I was the long snapper for our team, and during an XP attempt, Kramer hit me on top of the helmet, stepped on my back, and blocked the kick. After he did that he grabbed me by the collar, picked me up, brushed me off, and tossed towards our bench.

The DeBoom brothers from the CR area. One is a lawyer I know well and the other is a 2x Hawaii Ironman Triathlon winner.
In tennis tournaments, a guy named Glenn Wilson, who played for clown u and then became the Davis Cup captain for New Zealand.
In terms of haha funny, Mr. Dwight was often the substitute teacher at my junior high and he had massive anger management issues. He used to throw the chalk duster at people goofing off and had good aim.

Football - My freshman year I actually got a few plays in against Perry. Their running back, Terry Lambert, set the state record that year with around 2100 yds. We held him to 180 and, I think, 3 TDs. A couple weeks later he ran for 430 and 6 (again, I think) TDs against Clarke.

Baseball - I went 1-3 against Cal Eldred, who ended up pitching in the majors for 14 seasons.

In a pickup basketball game against Fred Hoiberg and Dederick Willoughby at the Iowa State rec center.

Best all around all sports athlete I ever competed against was B.J. Whindhorst from Clarinda.
I heard that Alford and Hoiberg had a free throw contest. I believe they shot better than 990 out of 1000 freethrows. That's fkin insane.

https://nwhof.org/national-wrestling-hall-of-fame/bio/1783
When I was still in High School I entered the Mayor Daly Open Wrestling Tournament. Open to high school through post college wrestlers. After winning a couple of matches I then had the opportunity to wrestle against Masaki Hatta, who already years out of college. He had two second place finishes and 1 1st place finishes in the NCAA wrestling tournament.
In this tournament he pinned everyone including me, but I was one of the only ones to last well into the second period.
I gotta say it was the only time I ever was pinned and he made it very comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Football - Tim Dwight, Tavian Banks, Dedric Ward

Wrestling - Mark Ironside (in practice)

Tim Cochran, University of Tennessee '86 (2x AA, 134#)
Billy Owens, Syracuse University '91`, NBA 1991-2001
Jeff Lebo, University of North Carolina '89

(Billy and Jeff were on the same high school team, along with Billy's brother Michael Syracuse '89 who played football)
Carlisle was good in Bball. Remember when Lebo was coming out.

I played my entire HS career in basketball and football against Marvin Harrison. He went to Roman Catholic in Philly. Only time we ever kicked and punted out of bounds.

Played some noon ball at the YMCA in Mason City around 2007-2008, teamed up with Dean Oliver. It was one day, we didn't lose the court, and it was 100% because of him.

Brother played against Dallas Clark in high school. That's about all I got.

Reactions: Torg
Had football teammates that I went up against in practice that played D1 sports. One in the PAC10 in football, one at Iowa for football, and another that played baseball for UNI before a low-level minor league career. In high school went up against several D1 football players in games, also went up against some in track. None were national-level names.

In college I played a late spring pickup game with the Iowa WBB team on the outdoor court behind Burge, as a friend of mine was one of the team managers and called me saying they needed another player. Both sides were mixed with team members and a few dudes. I ended up matching up against April Calhoun, who had been our starting PG that season before transferring to Minnesota over the summer. I love playing basketball and did it a lot at the Fieldhouse but wasn’t even good enough to play on my high school team, so that was an interesting experience. She was better skilled than me, but it was closer than it should have been between a D1 scholarship athlete and a dude that hadn’t played organized ball since his middle school non-traveling team. Jennie Lillis and Kristi Faulkner were there, but didn’t play. Most of the rest of the team did though, including Robert Gallery’s future wife.

I had to block this DE that was going to ISU as a TE. He wrecked me over and over. We got 50 pointed.

That dude should not have been playing class A.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT