ADVERTISEMENT

Does Wisconsin deserve a 1 seed?

Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
Yes. There's one team Id take before them and that's Kentucky.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I think you're failing to recognize that Duke should be before them as well... Not acknowledging them is ignorant of their win in Madison.

Kentucky of course. Wisconsin for sure if they win the B!G tourney. Arizona if they win the Pac 12 tourney and Duke or Virginia assuming one of them wins the ACC tourney. Villanova is the one that could slide in if someones falters or maybe they are ahead of Arizona. No chance for Kansas or Gonzaga imo.
smile.r191677.gif

There is no way Villanova is a better team then Wisconsin. I would think the Badgers would beat them 9 times out of 10. If Kentucky and Wisconsin end up in the Midwest region together that is absolutely absurd.

At this moment KenPom, Jeff Sagarin and I agree Wisconsin is one of the top four teams in the country.

The problem is The NCAA Selection Committee with neither listen to me nor KenPom, nor Jeff Sagarin!

They are still hanging out with that Fakir RPI!

I thought these folks went to College?

Wisconsin might very well be better than Nova, but the committee has to use data to get to the decisions on the No. 1 seed. Villanova is 11-1 vs. the Top 50 RPI teams. Wisconsin is 8-2. Wisconsin has a loss to Rutgers (164 in the RPI). Villanova's worst loss is to Seton Hall (81 in the RPI). Kaminsky was hurt and Jackson got hurt in the midst of the game against Rutgers, but the loss still happened.

I see 6 teams with legitimate chances of getting a 1 seed. Kentucky (they are No. 1 even if they don't with their tournament, Duke, Virginia, Villanova, Arizona and Wisconsin. Lunardi has Wisconsin and Arizona as the strongest No. 2 seeds, with Gonzaga and Kansas behind them. If Badgers and Arizona win their respective tournaments, they could get No. 1 seeds and knock out Virginia/Duke (whoever doesn't win the ACC) and Villanova (if they don't win their conference tourney).

Wisconsin is indeed very good. But they likely have to win the BTT to have any shot at a 1 seed.

The Badgers are probably good enough to carry a one seed but unfortunantely their weak schedule didn't give them the opportunity to prove it. Based on current standings I would put them at 5th or 6th overall. If they win the B10 tournament decisively, then perhaps they get a one seed......

IMHO:

This is what SHOULD happen:

1s: Kentucky, Wisconsin, Duke, Virginia
2s: Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas (unless they lose their first game of the Big 12 and ISU runs the table), Arizona
3s: Iowa State, OU/Baylor (whoever does better in the Big12 tourney), Notre Dame, Maryland
4s: OU/Baylor, Northern Iowa, Utah, Louisville

Seeding can be important, but potential match-ups even moreso. How many times have all four #1 seeds wound up in the Final Four? Wisconsin might deserve a #1 seed, but if they are as good as they've played all year, they can get there as a #2.

Yes, although it's close.

UK, Duke are best teams by a margin, UVA has more impressive resume. That puts Wisky at #4 with a substantial edge over Nova, IMO.

The one seeds are going to be a mess this year, there is Kentucky, then about 5 relatively close teams that span the range of better teams with worse resumes to worse teams with great resumes... ("worse" obviously is a relative term here as all teams listed here are top 10ish teams).

1. Kentucky - regardless of SEC tournament finish.
2. Duke - The resume is just too strong, some great wins, including a road win against a fellow member of this group.
3. Arizona - I think this is more looking at the pure numbers of what they were accomplishing, but their numbers (off/def efficiency compared to opponents) are even better than last year when they did receive a 1 seed
4. Virginia/Wisc - team that makes it further in their tournament should get this spot. If Virginia wins the ACC, they would get slotted here by me
5. Wisc/Virginia - see above
6. Villanova - just beat the crap out of St. Johns who may not be great, but was on a serious tear and as hot as any team in the country; you also don't put up the record they have by being just merely good... this is an underated squad
7. Kansas - I just don't know what to make of them this year. Won another B12 championship, but also lost Alexander (as of this post), so are they still the same team or the one that stumbled against KSU and Oklahoma?
8. Gonzaga - I think people don't realize how strong this team is... one loss to a pretty good BYU team does not a season ruin (unless that happens later in March....)
9. Iowa - well.... a guy can dream, right?

Yes with a but, they have to win the BTT and they should be in a strong position. If Villanova loses any game in the BE tournament Wisky should jump them. There really isn't a game that Nova can possibly lose and be ok to hang on to the #1 If either Duke or Virginia lose before meeting up in the final, they should drop that spot as well.

Originally posted by Rifler:
The Badgers are probably good enough to carry a one seed but unfortunantely their weak schedule didn't give them the opportunity to prove it. Based on current standings I would put them at 5th or 6th overall. If they win the B10 tournament decisively, then perhaps they get a one seed......
According to RPI, Wisconsin's SOS is 14. According to KenPom, it is 21. It is a stronger schedule than Kentucky, Villanova, Virginia, and Arizona played.

Originally posted by relishingwinning18:
Originally posted by StatisticsLie:
Originally posted by EpenesaEpenesa:
Yes. There's one team Id take before them and that's Kentucky.
I think you're failing to recognize that Duke should be before them as well... Not acknowledging them is ignorant of their win in Madison.
Duke no longer has sulaimon though. It'd be close.
Wisconsin no longer has Jackson, either. But in my mind, yes, Wisconsin is still a #1, or at least #1 calibur.

It's going to come down to the conference tournaments, though. If someone like UVA or Villanova lose, especially if it's relatively early in their tournament, and Wisky wins the BTT, then I feel they should slide up to a #1 and one of those teams down to a #2.

One thing is the loss to Rutgers - even if Kaminsky wasn't in the lineup.
This post was edited on 3/9 3:17 PM by TampaHawkfan

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
Yes with a but, they have to win the BTT and they should be in a strong position. If Villanova loses any game in the BE tournament Wisky should jump them. There really isn't a game that Nova can possibly lose and be ok to hang on to the #1 If either Duke or Virginia lose before meeting up in the final, they should drop that spot as well.
Agree.
If the others win out, then they go to the 2 line.
But, if any of the trio of duke, virginia, or villanova lose early and wisky wins the BTT then they should jump into one of the #1s.

Maybe. They don't deserve it more than KY, UVA, or Duke. So they're 4th at best. I don't know much about Villanova, other than they lost to Seton hall and G'town. I know Wisky is very good, and certainly deserving, but I don't know that their body of work is good enough to unseat Nova in the eyes of the committee.

Need to wait on the BTT and ACC tourney. I would rank KY, VA, Duke, Wisky, AZ, Vill, but it is very close except for KY. As mentioned, it is really more about match ups than seeding.

I can't remember a year like this where there are 6 teams from power conferences with 3 or fewer loses. Many years Duke, UNC, or KU can get a #1 seed with 5+ losses

Wisconsin should be a #1 seed

Midwest Kentucky
East Virginia
South Duke
West Wisconsin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT