ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump must pay $83.3 million to E. Jean Carroll for defaming her

Which means she gets paid. Period
How long would the appeal process take. 5 yrs or more? Idk. Or is this fairly straight forward. Personally if I was his lawyer. I’d try to settle for less than half and pay it now.

How long would the appeal process take.
There isn't much to appeal on.

Habba Habba f***ed up the trial so badly, she left very little appealable grounds for him.
They cannot appeal things that were not objected to in court. Just like the previous sexual assault trial was not appealable here. He chose to not represent himself in that trial, so there is no "re-do", as no "new evidence" can be presented upon appeal unless it was not available at the time.

How long would the appeal process take. 5 yrs or more? Idk. Or is this fairly straight forward. Personally if I was his lawyer. I’d try to settle for less than half and pay it now.
I bet a year or more. There’s a schedule, briefing, oral argument, order…it takes time.

Reactions: tumorboy
There isn't much to appeal on.

Habba Habba f***ed up the trial so badly, she left very little appealable grounds for him.
They cannot appeal things that were not objected to in court. Just like the previous sexual assault trial was not appealable here. He chose to not represent himself in that trial, so there is no "re-do", as no "new evidence" can be presented upon appeal unless it was not available at the time.
As I said try to knock the figure done and for go appeals is in the clients best interests. Tru p can spin it as trying to safe my family anymore grieve from this bull shit.

Well, unless the appeal is successful. Seems doubtful, but you never know.

You first have to identify grounds you can appeal on.

Habba stated "no objection" to so many pieces of evidence presented by Carroll's lawyer, that NONE of those can be "done over" now. You cannot go back and claim "I didn't mean that".

Habba and Trump also presented no evidence that his remarks were NOT defamatory. Nothing new can be presented at an appeals trial, so they are stuck with the evidence the defense presented at trial, which is pretty much nothing.

We may not even see a formal appeal, because no law firm worth their salt wants to argue a losing case, where they may not get paid.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
You first have to identify grounds you can appeal on.

Habba stated "no objection" to so many pieces of evidence presented by Carroll's lawyer, that NONE of those can be "done over" now. You cannot go back and claim "I didn't mean that".

Habba and Trump also presented no evidence that his remarks were NOT defamatory. Nothing new can be presented at an appeals trial, so they are stuck with the evidence the defense presented at trial, which is pretty much nothing.

We may not even see a formal appeal, because no law firm worth their salt wants to argue a losing case, where they may not get paid.
No, you don’t have to prove you have grounds for appeal before you can appeal. There are always issues you can appeal. Judges make countless rulings during a trial, as an example.

Whether they’re ultimately successful or not is a different matter, but you’re not precluded from trying.

No, you don’t have to prove you have grounds for appeal before you can appeal.
Uh...yes, you do (not "prove", but have established grounds).

E.g.
Procedural issue at trial
Evidence presented at trial that you objected to and were overruled.
Etc.

You MUST include WHAT you are appealing to get a trial.

Just like the original rape/assault trial - this one DID NOT ALLOW any of that evidence to be presented, because it was not an appeal. None of that evidence mattered here.

And since Trump did not testify at the other one, they have limited evidence they are able to present. An appeal is not 're-do' or "re-trial". It is appealing on some legitimate grounds that a new trial is warranted.

Uh...yes, you do (not "prove", but have established grounds).

E.g.
Procedural issue at trial
Evidence presented at trial that you objected to and were overruled.
Etc.

You MUST include WHAT you are appealing to get a trial.

Just like the original rape/assault trial - this one DID NOT ALLOW any of that evidence to be presented, because it was not an appeal. None of that evidence mattered here.

And since Trump did not testify at the other one, they have limited evidence they are able to present. An appeal is not 're-do' or "re-trial". It is appealing on some legitimate grounds that a new trial is warranted.
Ok, Joe. Let’s see what happens. I think you’re crazy to suggest that Trump will just pay Carroll $83M without appealing the verdict.

Birds of a feather.. Democrat judges lol either sleeping with the help or helping other leftists sleep with kids..

• Haha
Reactions: DFSNOLE
He’s stalling because he doesn’t have the cash to appeal.
Who knows? It’s normal to have lots of post-trial motions for the court to sort out. He definitely doesn’t want to put the money up while his appeal is pending so appears he’s asking the court to waive that requirement or substantially reduce it. I doubt Kaplan will go along given how this case went (also because Trump claims to have billions).

Reactions: runkpanole
Who knows? It’s normal to have lots of post-trial motions for the court to sort out. He definitely doesn’t want to put the money up while his appeal is pending so appears he’s asking the court to waive that requirement or substantially reduce it. I doubt Kaplan will go along given how this case went (also because Trump claims to have billions).
I’ll be honest, of all the Trump cases, this is the weakest in my opinion. I’m much interested in the criminal charges.

If he’s forced liquidated . After all the mortgages are paid and liens settled. Good chance he is still short of 500 million he owes to Carrol and New York.

Reactions: lucas80 and DFSNOLE
Habba is still on the case. Maybe he can't find another lawyer to work for cheap?
Habba has sent a letter to Judge Kaplan begging for, "Mercy", and a delay in paying the cash, or posting a bond. After bragging about having $300-400 million on hand, Trump must pay up by next week, yet insists on begging for mercy.
He's broke.
https://www.newsweek.com/alina-habba-donald-trump-cash-bond-defamation-1876766

Kaplan should double the interest rates, based on this nonsense.

Trump never showed any "mercy" toward ANYONE who could not provide him some mutual benefit.

"Here's my 'mercy' - Added interest/incentive to pay off what you owe, asshole!"

He needs $450 million more in the next two weeks. I'm wondering how long until someone finds where the $$$ paper trail leads back to. This is a major concern for me... who does he owe and what does that mean for him if back in office?

he was able to get the 90+ million from Federal Insurance which is better known as Chubb. They insure most of his properties so it seems he borrowed against them to pay the bond.

He needs $450 million more in the next two weeks. I'm wondering how long until someone finds where the $$$ paper trail leads back to. This is a major concern for me... who does he owe and what does that mean for him if back in office?

I believe every penny he and his businesses have to their name fall under the conservatorship of a former federal judge. He can't move a dime without her knowing, and if he tries, well, then he's going to need some more lawyers.

He is pretty well screwed. Listened to a podcast of a lawyer who said that most of his properties are not generating income, but there are a few that generate a lot of income and they prop up the ones that don't. He said its basically a Jenga game because lenders will want those high value properties as collateral and if he defaults on them and/or the state seizes them, the Jenga game is over and what he has left will collapse.

In the face of the $500 million Trump is facing, Carol can make a compelling case she needs to get her money before that settlement eats up what could be hers and it seems the law would favor that argument.

he was able to get the 90+ million from Federal Insurance which is better known as Chubb. They insure most of his properties so it seems he borrowed against them to pay the bond.
Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

Uhhh you said Chubb.

I believe every penny he and his businesses have to their name fall under the conservatorship of a former federal judge. He can't move a dime without her knowing, and if he tries, well, then he's going to need some more lawyers.

He is pretty well screwed. Listened to a podcast of a lawyer who said that most of his properties are not generating income, but there are a few that generate a lot of income and they prop up the ones that don't. He said its basically a Jenga game because lenders will want those high value properties as collateral and if he defaults on them and/or the state seizes them, the Jenga game is over and what he has left will collapse.

In the face of the $500 million Trump is facing, Carol can make a compelling case she needs to get her money before that settlement eats up what could be hers and it seems the law would favor that argument.
Getting re-elected is his only out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT