ADVERTISEMENT

Donald wants free money

Sooner-Be-Dead

HR Heisman
Sep 2, 2003
(Bloomberg) - President Donald Trump urged the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates to a level typically reserved for recessions or periods of persistently weak growth, suggesting that such a setting could allow the government to refinance Treasury debt at a lower cost.

The Fed should “get our interest rates down to ZERO, or less,” Trump said in an early Wednesday tweet that went beyond his previous attacks and demand for a cut of one percentage point. “We should then start to refinance our debt. INTEREST COST COULD BE BROUGHT WAY DOWN, while at the same time substantially lengthening the term.”

Reactions: cigaretteman
I’m sure when Krugman calls for some more rates cuts to create a bigger bubble y’all will hop back onboard.

At a time of negative GDP growth or minimal, yes, I think Keynesian economic theory proved to be correct at that time.

You think the correct response to the popping of the tech bubble was to create the housing bubble?
It was indeed the Keynesian response, but I’m curious if you think that was actually the best approach.

You think the correct response to the popping of the tech bubble was to create the housing bubble?
It was indeed the Keynesian response, but I’m curious if you think that was actually the best approach.

I think that the situation that occurred after the collapse of Bear Sterns, AIG and variousl mortgage banks and the ceasing of the credit markets (long and short-term) that cutting rates, QE and increasing government was the correct decision and, most likely, the only decision -- less we were to return to a barter system and survivalist. I have an issue with former Goldman shareholders letting their competition fail while saving their golden goose -- and no one going to jail.

The President of the United States called Chairman Powell and his associates at the Federal Reserve "boneheads".

I just can't get used to this. Our 6th grade POTUS name calling other folks in government. Not only is it stupid and childish, it's counter-productive. What kind of confidence in our economy do people feel when the POTUS calls a key economic tool a childish name?

Sometimes it seems like you know some stuff about money, and then you post stuff like this.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Sometimes it seems like you know some stuff about money, and then you post stuff like this.

Did you forget Krugman’s calls in 2001 for further reducing the interest rates in his expressed hope of ‘stimulating’ housing? He got exactly what he wanted, but for some reason he didn’t want credit for the consequences.

ALL of the credit manipulation is ultimately bad for the economy because, as Greenspan said, “The law of supply and demand is not to be conned.”

Frankly, we couldn’t have gotten to this point where our govt and private debt are so high without FR’s price manipulation.
It’ll come to tears, it always does.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
(Bloomberg) - President Donald Trump urged the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates to a level typically reserved for recessions or periods of persistently weak growth, suggesting that such a setting could allow the government to refinance Treasury debt at a lower cost.

The Fed should “get our interest rates down to ZERO, or less,” Trump said in an early Wednesday tweet that went beyond his previous attacks and demand for a cut of one percentage point. “We should then start to refinance our debt. INTEREST COST COULD BE BROUGHT WAY DOWN, while at the same time substantially lengthening the term.”

We could have begun to refinance our debt 2 1/2 years ago, right? When those rates were that low. But instead my President decided to grandstand and give the military Carte Blanche and then cut his friends taxes some more.
Besides lying every day, my President allowed a few moments of greatness to slip away by making poor decisions.

I think that the situation that occurred after the collapse of Bear Sterns, AIG and variousl mortgage banks and the ceasing of the credit markets (long and short-term) that cutting rates, QE and increasing government was the correct decision and, most likely, the only decision -- less we were to return to a barter system and survivalist.

Nonsensical FUD.
The industrial capacity of the country wasn’t destroyed.
There was simply going to be new holders to the titles of what capital and capital goods remained after losses were realized and debts were paid to the extent possible.
The Goldmans of the world weren’t interested in that. Instead they turned to the printing press (via backstops measuring in the 10s of trillions of dollars from the Federal Reserve) and were able to socialize their losses via inflation.

I have an issue with former Goldman shareholders letting their competition fail while saving their golden goose -- and no one going to jail.

Me too.
I’d eliminate the system they designed over a hundred years ago to bail themselves out and stick us with the cost.
Counterfeiting should always be a crime, because it is real theft.

We could have begun to refinance our debt 2 1/2 years ago, right? When those rates were that low. But instead my President decided to grandstand and give the military Carte Blanche and then cut his friends taxes some more.
Besides lying every day, my President allowed a few moments of greatness to slip away by making poor decisions.
I'm proud of you.

I'm proud of you.
Perky..,I have always been for a “controlled” budget. We basically have always had one in my lifetime UNTIL. Reagan sold the bullshit of “ supply side economics” as a way to cut taxes for the rich and the supply side fantasy of “ trickle down” economics.
Bill Clinton understood the bullshit and modified the tax structure to where he could get by. He was also smart enough to make a deal with House Republicans to balanced spending....mainly using “ pay-go” to keep things in balance. Sadly, when Bill left, so did the desire of the government to keep its expenses under control. 9/11 followed a foolish tax rebate and tax cuts, 2 wars half way around the world followed, and then a GOP congress chose to “ look the other way” and allow the financial vipers of the nation to rape and pillage in the name of capitalism. Now, we are where we are...and no one to blame but us. There are individual responsibilities on both sides of the aisle but collectively, the position of the GOP leadership the past 20 years ( its positions on deregulation, reducing oversight and allowing corporate rights expansion at the expense of your rights and mine) has to bear the brunt of “ fault” here.

The King and Queen of FREE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

BWW-ProgressiveTurf-Edit.jpg

Screw consequences of your own actions!!!

Perky..,I have always been for a “controlled” budget. We basically have always had one in my lifetime UNTIL. Reagan sold the bullshit of “ supply side economics” as a way to cut taxes for the rich and the supply side fantasy of “ trickle down” economics.
Bill Clinton understood the bullshit and modified the tax structure to where he could get by. He was also smart enough to make a deal with House Republicans to balanced spending....mainly using “ pay-go” to keep things in balance. Sadly, when Bill left, so did the desire of the government to keep its expenses under control. 9/11 followed a foolish tax rebate and tax cuts, 2 wars half way around the world followed, and then a GOP congress chose to “ look the other way” and allow the financial vipers of the nation to rape and pillage in the name of capitalism. Now, we are where we are...and no one to blame but us. There are individual responsibilities on both sides of the aisle but collectively, the position of the GOP leadership the past 20 years ( its positions on deregulation, reducing oversight and allowing corporate rights expansion at the expense of your rights and mine) has to bear the brunt of “ fault” here.
I was proud of you for referring to Trump as your president.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT