ADVERTISEMENT

Done with KF moment.

The definition of crazy has been oft repeated here in many different contexts regarding Iowa football. But if one is posting about
what happened in 2001 or 2009 or some other year or game, but still posting here, you’re not really done with Kirk, you’re just “crazy”. 😉

Loss to Western Michiganin 2007 ended my run of season tickets. Still went to at least one game each season

Loss to Central Michigan in 2012 stepped me down from a big fan to a casual fan. I'm still that. I watch games quietly, expecting Iowa to give the ball to the opponent at the end of the game with a chance to beat us. Sometimes I'm angry even when we win those games

Promoting and then keeping Brian as OC/ QB coach really sealed the deal for me. There isn't a special place in Heaven for the coach that wins the most games while using the least amount of offense.
I'll never forget that game. Last one I attended with my best bud who passed suddenly the following Spring.

I don't know if I'd call it my "Done with KF moment" but the home game vs. PSU in 2012 when we were just getting curb stomped. Down 38-0 in the 4th quarter, KF still didn't take out the starter Vandenberg and let the backup Rudock, who fans were clamoring for, get even a single snap.

I wasn't done with KF at that moment, but it did show me just how stubborn and spiteful a man and coach KF was. Anyone who says KF doesn't listen to outside noise or base his decisions on that stuff just needs to remember that game. Down 38-0 in the 4th quarter, there was ZERO reason to not bring in Rudock for some snaps and experience. KF didn't, he let JVB go the entire way and no one will ever convince me it wasn't a direct middle finger to the Iowa fans wanting JR to get a shot.
2012 was BS with a 4-8 team, and JVB took every snap all season.

I definitely think it's time for a change in leadership at Iowa. I also think Kirk has no intention to leave until he passes Woody Hayes in wins. It's never been one game that's done it for me as much as some of the ridiculously conservative decisions. The doubling down on BF as OC was big. Kirk coaches like he expects every single game to be a one possession game at the end, and I think that has always caused him to be super conservative in his decisions.

Reactions: Tom Paris
When he was chosen over Stoops.

Ha! Doodle's just kidding.

Or IS he?
I didn’t like the hire and really thought we’d be getting Stoops from Florida. When the hire was announced I figured Stoops didn’t want the job. Finding out later that wasn’t the case really pissed me off. I’ve been ready for years for change. Enough of the boring ass offensive football I’ve been watching for most of the 26 years he’s been here.

bold above - Me too

The definition of crazy has been oft repeated here in many different contexts regarding Iowa football. But if one is posting about
what happened in 2001 or 2009 or some other year or game, but still posting here, you’re not really done with Kirk, you’re just “crazy”. 😉
Not true at all. Most people posting are Hawkeye fans and not Ferentz fans. But it sounds like you are a Ferentz fan and that is "CRAZY".

2012 was BS with a 4-8 team, and JVB took every snap all season.

I definitely think it's time for a change in leadership at Iowa. I also think Kirk has no intention to leave until he passes Woody Hayes in wins. It's never been one game that's done it for me as much as some of the ridiculously conservative decisions. The doubling down on BF as OC was big. Kirk coaches like he expects every single game to be a one possession game at the end, and I think that has always caused him to be super conservative in his decisions.
The crazy part of the Hayes aspiration is the likelihood now of adding a bunch more losses before achieving it. Care less about the losses for him, but sad for the team.

There was some consternation prior to 2020, but the one that did it for me was the 21-20 loss to NW that year.

I don't know if I'd call it my "Done with KF moment" but the home game vs. PSU in 2012 when we were just getting curb stomped. Down 38-0 in the 4th quarter, KF still didn't take out the starter Vandenberg and let the backup Rudock, who fans were clamoring for, get even a single snap.

I wasn't done with KF at that moment, but it did show me just how stubborn and spiteful a man and coach KF was. Anyone who says KF doesn't listen to outside noise or base his decisions on that stuff just needs to remember that game. Down 38-0 in the 4th quarter, there was ZERO reason to not bring in Rudock for some snaps and experience. KF didn't, he let JVB go the entire way and no one will ever convince me it wasn't a direct middle finger to the Iowa fans wanting JR to get a shot.
i'm almost positive i saw a stat that JVB ended up the 14th ranked QB in the B1G that year... there were only 12 teams in the conf at the time. that means 2 backups had better numbers than our guy who took every single snap. wth?

Not true at all. Most people posting are Hawkeye fans and not Ferentz fans. But it sounds like you are a Ferentz fan and that is "CRAZY".
I thought the winky guy was a clue it was a joke. So serious we are, hmmm?

But to be serious, yes I am a fan of Ferentz. He’s been a net positive for the program by a large margin. On many fronts. That does not mean he is infallible and above criticism. His recent handling of the QB position is one example.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterlooChazz
I guess it wasn't a single moment, but a collection. Brian, Petras, Deac, and now Cade are the big ones (2009 OSU was infuriating, though).

I've watched one Iowa game this year (Washington, which was a great one to choose to watch), a few last year, and a few the year before. It's just not entertaining enough for me to watch as opposed to other games. And aside from the entertainment factor, it's just upsetting that Kirk won't make changes and I'd rather not watch.

His handling of QBs, almost since he was appointed could be addressed as troublesome.

His "search" for OCs that always seemed to find a guy who wants to run the same tired three-yard pass, run up the middle offense that has almost zero reliance on WRs and was more fit for the 50's.. What ever happened to Kirk 2.0? Too radical for this campus? What I wouldn't give to see Iowa with a wide open, naturally thrilling offense. I bet the kids on the team would as well. That way, even when we lose, it will still be fun to watch.

What was your “done with KF moment” mine was with how hard he dug his heels in with the Brian Ferentz shit show after 21 and 22 and allowing it to continue for another year. I probably showed up late to the party I’m sure.
Probably him sticking with a horrible hire as OC for years while the offense became a national joke.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT