ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Thelwell visiting April 15 (6'3 guard; ONE Year Eligibility). Camren Hunter on April 18 (Has TWO Years Eligibility)

This past season he averaged 10 pts, 3 rebounds and 6.2 assists for Morehead State. He shot 33.8% from three and 43.5% overall

i

I do!’t know what UCF’s money situation is like, but I know Miami and SMU are going to throw piles and piles of cash at him. Tough sledding for the Hawks.
We’ve lost a few recruiting battles to Miami in recent memory. I would expect the same this time around if they are serious about this kid.

• Sad
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I do!’t know what UCF’s money situation is like, but I know Miami and SMU are going to throw piles and piles of cash at him. Tough sledding for the Hawks.

"This past season he averaged 10 pts, 3 rebounds and 6.2 assists for Morehead State. He shot 33.8% from three and 43.5% overall"

HIs stats kinda say he's only a little bit better than that Bakari dude Fran brought in, not a guy that will command piles of cash. Hard to believe there is no one esle at Mid Major level that wouldn't jump at opportunity to play at bigger stage and not asking for $100-200K. Whatever Harding is getting, new guy shouldn't be getting more..

"This past season he averaged 10 pts, 3 rebounds and 6.2 assists for Morehead State. He shot 33.8% from three and 43.5% overall"

HIs stats kinda say he's only a little bit better than that Bakari dude Fran brought in, not a guy that will command piles of cash. Hard to believe there is no one esle at Mid Major level that wouldn't jump at opportunity to play at bigger stage and not asking for $100-200K. Whatever Harding is getting, new guy shouldn't be getting more..

Can he defend and handle the ball?! That’s my criteria.i like the 6.2 assists a game. Wonder what his A/T ratio is?

Probably depends whether he is a top option with Miami and other schools with more $$$$. Similar size to Bowen. Not eyepopping numbers, but we desperately need another PG/Combo guard for next year.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Seems like a step down from Perkins. Not super exciting.
If we couldn't pay Perkins, presumably even with a slight hometown discount, we certainly can't pay for a Perkins level player. Especially since we also need at least one big man to transfer in as well.

I would have hoped we targeted a younger guy. Thelwell seems ok, especially if his jumper improves. He's a pass first guard and we have scorers in the rest of our offense. I would have liked a more defensive minded player since I think there's a lot of overlap with Harding's skillset.

If we couldn't pay Perkins, presumably even with a slight hometown discount, we certainly can't pay for a Perkins level player. Especially since we also need at least one big man to transfer in as well.

I would have hoped we targeted a younger guy. Thelwell seems ok, especially if his jumper improves. He's a pass first guard and we have scorers in the rest of our offense. I would have liked a more defensive minded player since I think there's a lot of overlap with Harding's skillset.
He has better advanced defensive numbers than Perkins did, if that's the comp player we are using. There's a few defensive oriented guards that Iowa contacted such as Jaquan Carlos, but not sure how much traction we have gotten on those.

Thelwell is a nice middle ground option--there are better scoring PGs we have contacted but a lot of those are turnover prone or have shotty defensive numbers. There are some defensive guys we've contacted that have poor shooting numbers. Thelwell is nice because he's got decent shooting splits, rates out as an above average defender, and he's a true facilitator PG coming into a team with a (likely) 3 headed scoring trio of Sandfort, Dix and Freeman so we really don't need some elite offensive scoring point guard.

I always wonder how easy it is for coaches to be able to translate a player's performance against lower-level competition into how they would do against B1G-level players. I don't see a lot of drive and dish in Hunter's tape, which might be more what Iowa would like to see with players like Payton, Dix, Koch, and Freeman's ability to score.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I always wonder how easy it is for coaches to be able to translate a player's performance against lower-level competition into how they would do against B1G-level players. I don't see a lot of drive and dish in Hunter's tape, which might be more what Iowa would like to see with players like Payton, Dix, Koch, and Freeman's ability to score.
That is what Fran likes score first point guards

Iowa basketball set to host multiple transfer portal targets

Tyler Tachman
Des Moines Register
April 12, 2024

IOWA CITY — Iowa men’s basketball is expected to host visits for multiple transfer portal players in the coming days.

Morehead State transfer Drew Thelwell is scheduled to visit Iowa, Clay Milnes of WTM Sports Group confirmed to the Register. Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports was first to report the news.

Iowa is also expected to get a visit from Central Arkansas transfer Camren Hunter, he confirmed to the Register. Tobias Bass of The Athletic was first to report the development.

During the 2023-24 season, Thelwell averaged 10 points, 6.2 assists and three rebounds per game for a Morehead State team that made the NCAA Tournament before losing to Illinois in the Round of 64.

The 6-foot-3 guard started a combined 68 games over the last two seasons for Morehead State. His career-highs in points (11.1) and rebounds (4.3) per game, along with 3-point percentage (38.1%), came during the 2022-23 season. He is a career 34.8% 3-point shooter in college.

Thelwell has one season of college eligibility remaining.

Hunter made 60 starts combined over two seasons at Central Arkansas. Hunter entered the transfer portal last offseason and committed to Butler, but ultimately changed course and returned to Central Arkansas. Hunter didn’t end up playing last season due to injury.

During the 2022-23 season, his most recent stint in game action, Hunter averaged 16.9 points, five rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. The 6-foot-3 guard has shot just 28.7% from deep during his college career, but is an efficient 80% from the free throw stripe.

Hunter has two seasons of college eligibility remaining.

8ee532e4-4ffc-44bb-9b28-3aed0dbef365-0315_Clemson_NIT_vs_Morehead_St_endfinal_7.JPG

Morehead State guard Drew Thelwell vs Clemson in the closing seconds of the 2nd half at Littlejohn Coliseum in Clemson, SC, Wed March 15, 2023.

Iowa has room to add from the transfer portal after its recent departures. Ben Krikke exhausted his college eligibility. Tony Perkins, Patrick McCaffery and Dasonte Bowen entered the transfer portal.

The Hawkeyes have two signees in their 2024 high school recruiting class, Cooper Koch and Chris Tadjo. Payton Sandfort declared for the 2024 NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility and has until May 29 to decide his future.

If Sandfort returns to college, Iowa will have three scholarships open for the 2024-25 season. If Sandfort moves on, Iowa will have four.

The Hawkeyes are clearly looking to add to their guard depth. Two of the four recent losses, Perkins and Bowen, were primary ball-handlers. Point guard Brock Harding is in line for an increased role after showing flashes of potential during his freshman season and Josh Dix also possesses a versatile skillset, but Iowa could use another ball-handler on the roster.

Iowa has yet to land a transfer-portal commitment this offseason. While getting Thelwell and Hunter on campus does not serve as a guarantee to that, it does show some progress toward getting next season's roster in place.

I really like Thelwell, if Fran can get him. Distributes and can shoot. Coming from a winning program, and was the floor leader and distributor, which is a very good sign.

We have room for two guards, but I'm less certain about Hunter. Hasn't been much of a 3-pt shooter, but his tape shows him taking it to the basket and scoring. Question is whether he can do that as successfully against higher level competition.

Would love to also see a tough interior player who likes to play defense and rebound. Scoring could be secondary. I would rather see a tough 6-8 guy with a motor, some muscle and quickness, than a 7 ft stiff, who is mainly just tall. I don't remember his name, but the player from Ill St seemed to fit the mold, even if he isn't really tall (but with a 7-3 wingspan).

I think both of these can play off the ball too. I'd like to see them take both if they both want to come. Our guard court is very thin at the moment.

Then that 3rd open scholly use it on a PF type.
Sure but I doubt both of them would want to come here. Would love it. Guess it depends on who else throws cash at them. Miami has deep pockets. And Michigan needs bodies.

Sure but I doubt both of them would want to come here. Would love it. Guess it depends on who else throws cash at them. Miami has deep pockets. And Michigan needs bodies.
Not sure Hunter is being as heavily recruited by power 6 schools. Plus, Hunter has 2 years of eligibility so may be willing to come off the bench some.
But yeah if Hunter were to commit first, I think that could effect Thelwell's decision.

Not sure Hunter is being as heavily recruited by power 6 schools. Plus, Hunter has 2 years of eligibility so may be willing to come off the bench some.
But yeah if Hunter were to commit first, I think that could effect Thelwell's decision.
Who else is after Hunter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT