ADVERTISEMENT

Driving while brown?

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
A police beat story appeared in our local paper up here in NW Iowa Pocahontas County this week.
A deputy sheriff observed an auto going 56mph on Hwy 4 south of town and turned on his flashers to pull driver, only identified as " Hernandez" over.

Driver did not stop, speeding up to over 70mph.
Turning on to gravel roads the driver sped up to as high as 90 mph and ran stop signs.
The deputy struck the car from behind causing it to lose control and go into the ditch.
No one was injured.

Hernandez was charged with a bunch of stuff including felony eluding law enforcement, driving while barred and other traffic violations.
His two passengers had outstanding warrants and were arrested.

I drive on Hwy 4 all the time and exceed 55mph all the time.

I am glad this guy is off the road but has anyone been stopped for going 56 mph with no other provocation?

Just something that makes you wonder...hmmmm.

• Haha
Reactions: NoWokeBloke
OP might be overreacting here. This is very much "out of town" and it's posted 45. I'm white and have been pulled over for that.
8hqcsr.jpg

Yeah you can expect to be pulled over for 56 in a 45, and be happy if you're not.

Although, this situation is exactly what exposes the mindset of those who actually think like OP is suggesting. When a cop wants to pull you over, you stop and comply. The common thread in all these instances where the cop happens to be a different race than the suspect (cop's always white in these stories), is that the suspect doesn't simply comply. Even in the handful of instances where the cops actually DO commit crimes by letting their emotions get the best of them, or making egregious judgements resulting in them killing someone, there's almost never an instance where the suspect simply complies.

Last edited:
Yeah you can expect to be pulled over for 56 in a 45, and be happy if you're not.
Ok. Thanks for the info. Did you confirm that he was in the 45mph zone?
The article did not indicate he was in town.
That is important info missing from story.
Clearly a legit stop.
My bad.

Ok looking at the charges he was charged with 2 counts of speeding in a 55mph zone.
No mention of being charged of speeding in 45mph zone.

I know a lot of folks take Hwy 4 up to Lakes in summer so do not exceed 55...

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the info.
Clearly a legit stop.
My bad.
Except in my photo posted you can clearly see that's not in town, it's outside but inside the buffer of 45mph almost all towns have. Maybe don't overreact and cry racism if you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
A police beat story appeared in our local paper up here in NW Iowa Pocahontas County this week.
A deputy sheriff observed an auto going 56mph on Hwy 4 south of town and turned on his flashers to pull driver, only identified as " Hernandez" over.

Turning on to gravel roads the driver sped up to as high as 90 mph and ran stop signs.
The deputy struck the car from behind causing it to lose control and go into the ditch.
No one was injured.

Hernandez was charged with a bunch of stuff including felony eluding law enforcement, driving while barred and other traffic violations.

I am glad this guy is off the road but has anyone been stopped for going 56 mph with no other provocation?

What does it mean when it says the driver was only known as Hernandez? He had no identification so he wasnt booked and arrested under his complete name, or was known to the officer prior to the stop? If its the latter then I would think the officer had reason to suspect he was driving illegally and used speed as a justification for stopping him.

And if not... So what? A word of advice i heard from a friend years ago... Only break one law at a time. If you're driving illegally don't give ANY reason to break another one in speeding to get you potentially pulled over. If he stopped, was legal to drive, then got hassled further or got his car searched for no reason that would be concerning. Sucks to be you and be inconvenienced, but any speeding still is speeding so nothing is wrong about this.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Did you confirm that he was in the 45mph zone?
Clearly a legit stop.
My bad.

Ok looking at the charges he was charged with 2 counts of speeding in a 55mph zone.
No mention of being charged of speeding in 45mph zone.

I know a lot of folks take Hwy 4 up to Lakes in summer so do not exceed 55...
I have heard of people getting pulled over for 1mph over specifically in University Heights (Iowa City), and in Nichols (hwy 22 SE Iowa). This is how these town raise money.

Of course, all of this is avoided if the suspect simply complies.

So it really doesn't matter whether it was a 45 or a 55, the cop was within his right to pull the driver over. Also, there are other reasons to pull people over than speeding. I've been pulled over for not having my new sticker on my plate, and for not having a seatbelt on. Both times I did this amazing thing...I pulled over right away and listened to what the cop had to say. Once I got a warning, once a ticket...

Change your mindset. It's racist.

No one was injured.

Note that when a police officer is behind you, they can scan your license plate to see if the car is stolen, etc. Not sure if this scan is automatic or not (probably is). I am guessing there was more than just speeding that caused the officer to turn his flashing lights on.

@Hawkman98 would know more....

Reactions: TJ8869
Not sure why he was referred to as only Hernandez in the story.

The passengers were identified with their complete names that were non- Hispanic.
The whole story was weird.
Incomplete details can end up giving wrong impressions.
Usually they do a good job with solid reporting by the publisher.

I guess I was just curious if anyone had ever been stopped going 56 in a 55 and if you went to court if a judge would throw it out?

Except in my photo posted you can clearly see that's not in town, it's outside but inside the buffer of 45mph almost all towns have. Maybe don't overreact and cry racism if you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
[/QUOTE
Did you confirm that he was actually in a 45mph zone?
Is that info available on-line?
He was not charged with speeding in a 45mph zone, only in 55mph zone.

Although, this situation is exactly what exposes the mindset of those who actually think like OP is suggesting. When a cop wants to pull you over, you stop and comply. The common thread in all these instances where the cop happens to be a different race than the suspect (cop's always white in these stories), is that the suspect doesn't simply comply. Even in the handful of instances where the cops actually DO commit crimes by letting their emotions get the best of them, or making egregious judgements resulting in them killing someone, there's almost never an instance where the suspect simply complies.

And you know what didn't make the news?

13 days ago there was a 911 call from an affluent home in a suburb of Minneapolis. The girlfriend called regarding sexual abuse. Officers arrived. 3 police officers were in the house negotiating for the Black man to surrender (he was renting the home). He had barricaded himself in the house with 7 children & the girlfriend who called 911. After several hours of negotiation, out of nowhere, he appeared and started shooting. All 3 officers were hit as they fled the home. 2 of the 3 officers died. A paramedic running to aid the officers was also shot and killed.

The 2 police officers were 27. The paramedic was 40 and had done 2 tours in Iraq.

The gunman was prohiited from owning guns. During the standoff he clamed there were no guns in the house. Well, he had several rifles and guns and ammo.

After his killing spree, he committed suicide in front of the uninjured kids and uninjured girlfriend.

No riots or protests for this incident.

• Sad
Reactions: NI hawk
How easy is it to see the race/gender of someone when they're going 55 and you're not?
This is a valid point.
It is the whole " stopping someone for going 56 in a 55 "deal that triggered me.
I drive that road all the time and I would estimate that 80% exceed 55mph by a few mph.
I am glad no one was injured.
I live on a gravel road south of town and if someone ran a stop sign going 90mph it could be curtains for my family.
It would be unfortunate if it was precipitated by someone going one mph over limit.

13 days ago there was a 911 call from an affluent home in a suburb of Minneapolis. The girlfriend called regarding sexual abuse. Officers arrived. 3 police officers were in the house negotiating for the Black man to surrender (he was renting the home). He had barricaded himself in the house with 7 children & the girlfriend who called 911. After several hours of negotiation, out of nowhere, he appeared and started shooting. All 3 officers were hit as they fled the home. 2 of the 3 officers died. A paramedic running to aid the officers was also shot and killed.

The 2 police officers were 27. The paramedic was 40 and had done 2 tours in Iraq.

The gunman was prohiited from owning guns. During the standoff he clamed there were no guns in the house. Well, he had several rifles and guns and ammo.

After his killing spree, he committed suicide in front of the uninjured kids and uninjured girlfriend.

Why would people riot or protest?

I don't have to confirm where the stop happened dumbass, you were the triggered little bitch that ran here and accused a cop of racism without any facts or idea how speed limits work outside small towns. Maybe you should get ypur facts strait before you post. OP is definitely an idiot.

• Love
Reactions: OthaFish
Not sure why he was referred to as only Hernandez in the story.

The passengers were identified with their complete names that were non- Hispanic.
The whole story was weird.
Incomplete details can end up giving wrong impressions.
Usually they do a good job with solid reporting by the publisher.

I guess I was just curious if anyone had ever been stopped going 56 in a 55 and if you went to court if a judge would throw it out?
I was 16, got pulled over on the Coralville strip going 37 in a 35. It was my 3rd moving violation so went to court to fight it. Judge was like "sounds like you need remedial driving school" and I had to pay the fine and go to class (which was mostly for the drunk drivers).

Reactions: hawkjt
I don't have to confirm where the stop happened dumbass, you were the triggered little bitch that ran here and accused a cop of racism without any facts or idea how speed limits work outside small towns. Maybe you should get ypur facts strait before you post. OP is definitely an idiot.
Ok it appears that all evidence points to the guy driving 56 in a 55 zone cuz that is what he was charged with.
I live here in Poky so I know the laws.
Relax.

• Sad
Reactions: OthaFish

Right. As I was reading the OP I was thinking how the driver went over the top in trying to get away. Sounds as if the driver and passengers were bad dudes. Looks more like pretty good police work if you ask me…

Reactions: thewop
On the way back from Arizona I got stopped in some small western Kansas town for going 46 in a 35. I had just gotten gas and a hot dog at Loves and picked up some speed coming down a small incline where the cop was waiting. When he walked up beside the car I still had the hot dog in my left hand, on the steering wheel. As it turned out the cop had married a girl from the town on my license. We ended up knowing some common friends. I got a warning...

All these cops obviously are in the wrong job.

Should be playing baseball or tennis if the can spot the color of the driver going by them at 56.

On the way back from Arizona I got stopped in some small western Kansas town for going 46 in a 35. I had just gotten gas and a hot dog at Loves and picked up some speed coming down a small incline where the cop was waiting. When he walked up beside the car I still had the hot dog in my left hand, on the steering wheel. As it turned out the cop had married a girl from the town on my license. We ended up knowing some common friends. I got a warning...
I’ll bet you had a hot dog in your hand

Sounds like we have too many guns in this country.

I saw this story on national news.

If it didn't make the news then how do you know about it and from where did you get your copy/paste content? I'm guessing that the story you've mentioned has received substantially more news coverage than the aforementioned "Hernandez" story. Unless you consider posts in an off-topic message board from a sports website to be the qualifier.

And btw I opened this thread hoping it was a notification that my extremely late UPS package is no longer in transit. Leaving unsatisfied, and still unfulfilled.

I don’t know. Just from personal experience, I tend to believe in the ‘driving while black’ phenomenon. Not saying this is the case here but it happens.

I used to live in Cambodia and got pulled over all the time. Most corrupt cops ever as they only made about $75 a month and knew I probably had that in my pocket.

I remember getting pulled over because my helmet wasn’t strapped tight enough while there were Khmers riding by with no helmets and flip flops on third-world Hondas.

I’m white and drive for a living and cannot remember the last time I was pulled over here. It’s been years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT