ADVERTISEMENT

Driving while brown?

my grandparents lived in Poky and my grandpa always reminded me to drive the speed limit when I left because “we like your Polk County dollars up here.” It was really good advice.

I don’t know. Just from personal experience, I tend to believe in the ‘driving while black’ phenomenon. Not saying this is the case here but it happens.

I used to live in Cambodia and got pulled over all the time. Most corrupt cops ever as they only made about $75 a month and knew I probably had that in my pocket.

I remember getting pulled over because my helmet wasn’t strapped tight enough while there were Khmers riding by with no helmets and flip flops on third-world Hondas.

I’m white and drive for a living and cannot remember the last time I was pulled over here. It’s been years.
you're likely not wrong that it happens in some communities.

Note that when a police officer is behind you, they can scan your license plate to see if the car is stolen, etc. Not sure if this scan is automatic or not (probably is). I am guessing there was more than just speeding that caused the officer to turn his flashing lights on.

@Hawkman98 would know more....
This might explain why they were stopped in the first place. A quick search of Hernandez's court records lists roughly 70 cases. And both of his passengers have criminal records. Denver Crumpton has over 60 cases listed and Hayley Byerly has about 30. If the cop's scanner flagged the license plate number then "speeding" might have been a pretext for stopping them to see if any of the vehicle's occupants had any outstanding warrants.

Most people in that situation would have simply pulled over and probably received a warning as long as everything was copacetic with their license and registration. But these folks realized that pulling over probably meant going to jail, so they decided to flee and made matters even worse for themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT