ADVERTISEMENT

Duke's Kyle Filipowski Injured by fan as Wake Forest fans storm the court

Nope. This is the coach's fault. His starters should have been off the court.
Down 4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 with 1.8 seconds left to go is a run out the clock moment. Also, he was absolutely unaware of his surroundings. The buzzer goes off, he pauses, turns around and slowly strolls toward the team sideline. He needs better awareness.
You will also notice that there was a Duke player farther away from the team sideline, and much closer to the student section who made it off the court without issue because as soon as the game was over, he made a beeline for the sideline.

Reactions: HawkBall23
I cannot believe how many on Twitter are blaming the player (or coaches). It’s literally 100% the fans’ fault. Good grief.
Crazy, but consider the source after all. Twitter, X, whatever it is now. Facebook. All the same crap. Look at me, look at me....

I don't think storming should be banned, but every home team should be responsible for providing enough security to protect the players and get them off the court. Hit the home team with heavy fines that escalate should there be an incident with an opposing player including potentially forfeiting the game.

Reactions: QChawks
Maybe I'm just a 'stick in the mud' "get off my lawn!" type, but I've never seen the real appeal of court or field storming after a game.

You paid for a ticket to watch the game, not potentially be part of the postgame 'revelry' on the playing surface that could result in injury to another person or even oneself.

These damn kids are making thousands from NIL. Maybe they need to hire a lot of goons to protect them!!!

Nope. This is the coach's fault. His starters should have been off the court.
Down 4444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 with 1.8 seconds left to go is a run out the clock moment. Also, he was absolutely unaware of his surroundings. The buzzer goes off, he pauses, turns around and slowly strolls toward the team sideline. He needs better awareness.
You will also notice that there was a Duke player farther away from the team sideline, and much closer to the student section who made it off the court without issue because as soon as the game was over, he made a beeline for the sideline.
Dumb take.

Reactions: chuck285
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but this is Duke's fault. Down 4 with 1 second left, your only shot is to make a 3 and get fouled. Unlikely as hell. As soon as that doesn't happen, get the hell off the court instead of sauntering back to your team with the urgency of a frozen sloth.
You are in the minority. Dumb post.

Slightly easier to control crowds when they’re 1/3rd the size of average power 5 arenas. It’s not like they were playing a high ranked non conference opponent… lord it’s Drake. They weren’t at full capacity. Such a silly tweet lol.

I would think if you forced teams to forfeit the game following court storming, you would probably see it end. Maybe advocate players passing through the student section aisles to show appreciation and celebrate. Clark has ran to the student section before. Having players come to them is likely a much better alternative, even if that has its issues.

Mostly young people like to just be let the moment override any rational thinking, sucks to be fear focused but something serious is likely to happen from these celebrations eventually.

Last edited:
What do you suggest would stop it.
Maybe the security people should start passing out wood shampoos.

Seriously though....I like the immediate forfeiture and heavy fine idea.

Someday....a player is going to clock one of these idiot fans, some fans will retaliate, and a riot will ensue.

Last edited:
Looks familiar, CC got a ton of crap for it.
At least the idiot that was holding his phone talking sh** as he ran into Filipowski hit the deck and probably got trampled. 😆

Honestly, though, I think this is a sneaky good way to take out team's best players if we need some help to beat the better teams/win in March. Doesn't even need to be after wins either. After all, he said it was intentional.............so let's make it intentional. ;)

Reactions: Chuck C
No.

But I'd have to sift back a ways. There was a podcast that was talking about the Clark run-in after it happened and someone had a good suggestion about how to handle court storming, and they spent time talking about it afterwards. Can't remember off the top of my head which show it was and what exactly they proposed, unfortunately.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3
No.

But I'd have to sift back a ways. There was a podcast that was talking about the Clark run-in after it happened and someone had a good suggestion about how to handle court storming, and they spent time talking about it afterwards. Can't remember off the top of my head which show it was and what exactly they proposed, unfortunately.
But it is trespassing. I get the point though.

Maybe the security people should start passing out wood shampoos.

Seriously though....I like the immediate forfeiture and heavy fine idea.

Someday....a player is going to clock one of these idiot fans, some fans will retaliate, and a riot will ensue.
Yep. What's semi-ridiculous about this one is it's just another game. Duke wasn't undefeated. It didn't determine a championship. Wake has beaten Duke as recently as last year. Why the pandemonium?

I do like the idea of forfeiting a home game. That makes sense and seems like a punishment that fits the crime.

No.

Thanks for the info. ;)

I don't think storming should be banned, but every home team should be responsible for providing enough security to protect the players and get them off the court. Hit the home team with heavy fines that escalate should there be an incident with an opposing player including potentially forfeiting the game.

Yes, but the contact came when the player moved his leg in front of the fan.
I stand by my original statement and cannot for the life of me understand this ridiculous take. He’s freaking walking toward the sideline. Fan 100% at fault. Player 0% at fault.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Thought the same thing after the overhead view cam out. Not a normal stride and also tried to push after the trip.
The student had no business being anywhere near him. You run onto the court you get what you get. 20 years ago that would have been the consensus of nearly everyone.

But not today. The guy who's out of line and has no business doing what he's doing quickly becomes the victim. That poor kid...Filip practically went into the stands after him.

Jesus, the tweets under that Filipowski tweet are insane. It just proves how low IQ sports fans really are. Dude was literally trying to walk to the sideline and he gets annihilated by fans sprinting at him, but he's the bad guy?

But apparently those who prioritize player safety are the bad guys.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
The solution is obvious, bring in the school's ROTC.

OIP.DgTly8At9Cv5GUeERcH9eQAAAA

• Haha
Reactions: Hawksfor3
By the way, this isn't just dangerous for the visiting players, it is also a concern for the home team players or in fact anyone on the court. Randy Peterson got wiped out by friendly fire at an ISU-Kansas game, I believe.

I could see a home team player twisting a knee when some drunk idiot runs up to give him a hug

If the conferences and the NCAA won't act, I'd leave it up to individual schools to dig a moat around the court and fill it with alligators.

Court storming has been going on for decades. Get off the court.
Yes, but it's gotten way out of control.

It's happening now vs teams that are ranked 8th and 12th. ISU was a 5 point favorite and lead the whole game vs Kansas when they stormed. It's a joke now and it's only going to get worse if nothing is done.

Nothing good can come of court storming; only bad. I bet you won't feel the same way when someone gets trampled and dies.

Grow up kids

More people have torn an achilles doing celebratory jumps than been seriously injured by a fans storming the court. Ban celebratory jumps!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT