ADVERTISEMENT

Dwayne Andreas" The man who made America fat.

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
In the 1980s Andreas maneuvered to get the Reagan Administration to put quotas on the amount of sugar that could be imported into the US. Andreas was the CEO of ADM, and he had a product in corn sweetener that he couldn't effectively market. Capping sugar imports helped to fuel the rise in the use of corn sweetener in just about everything Americans eat.

Dwayne’s brother was a bank President in my hometown for many years. His sons ;Al and Pete)all attended the local parochial high school and worked as bank tellers for the paper boys on Saturday mornings. They both had quite the rep for drag racing as both owned numerous Corvettes back in the late ‘50’s abs early 60’s. Both lads were season tix holders to Uowa football back in those days. They had to work the bank Saturdays until noon and they would jump in their car abs off to Iowa City…100 miles before there was Interstate 80…they bragged that they seldom ever missed a kick-off 1:30 starts back then)..To us “kids” the Andreas boys were legendary!

Individuals cause their own obesity. It's not lobbyists, a political party, an artificial sweetener, etc. Nobody is forcing people to eat artificial sweeteners, just like nobody is forcing people to sit on their fat asses all day
True to a point but.....when artificial sweetener (corn syrup) is in just about everything. It gets difficult.

On that note. My german wife has a app that you can scan a barcode on to see what's in a product. Damned near every thing has crap in it that's banned in the European Union....from cosmetics to food... carcinogens ect....

Pretty amazing. The FDA has failed IMO.....we allow way too much harmful crap to be put into products.

True to a point but.....when artificial sweetener (corn syrup) is in just about everything. It gets difficult.

On that note. My german wife has a app that you can scan a barcode on to see what's in a product. Damned near every thing has crap in it that's banned in the European Union....from cosmetics to food... carcinogens ect....

Pretty amazing. The FDA has failed IMO.....we allow way too much harmful crap to be put into products.
Pic of German wife.

Pic of German wife.
Hell no...

When we were first dating all my friends said she looks like "dirty dancing era Jennifer Grey" though...

movies-ferris-buellers-day-off-jennifer-grey.jpg

Still does...

Reactions: HawkMD

What's the app?

But has the FDA failed? We have labels on everything. Ultimately it is up to each person to decide what goes in their body

Reactions: HawkeyeHitman
Individuals cause their own obesity. It's not lobbyists, a political party, an artificial sweetener, etc. Nobody is forcing people to eat artificial sweeteners, just like nobody is forcing people to sit on their fat asses all day
I used to think that way, but the people getting rich off of sugar have some responsibility too.

What do you expect when you vote for deregulation and crony capitalism?

Reactions: blhawk
. They had to work the bank Saturdays until noon and they would jump in their car abs off to Iowa City…100 miles before there was Interstate 80…they bragged that they seldom ever missed a kick-off 1:30 starts back then)..
So they behaved with reckless indifference to the safety of others. Chips off the old block 🙄

Reactions: lucas80
That shit is everywhere, it would be nearly impossible to avoid unless you never ate out or only shopped at health food markets.

Certainly a huge reason for America’s obesity problem

Reactions: torbee
In the 1980s Andreas maneuvered to get the Reagan Administration to put quotas on the amount of sugar that could be imported into the US. Andreas was the CEO of ADM, and he had a product in corn sweetener that he couldn't effectively market. Capping sugar imports helped to fuel the rise in the use of corn sweetener in just about everything Americans eat.
Do you have his info so I can thank him? Love me some sugar.

I have a clue for you Sherlock, sugar will get you just as fat as corn syrup. Both are bad.

Americans are fat because they have zero self control and get no exercise.
They also refuse to eat anything not loaded with fat or sugar.

That shit is everywhere, it would be nearly impossible to avoid unless you never ate out or only shopped at health food markets.

Certainly a huge reason for America’s obesity problem

I am sure it impossible to avoid if you rely on prepackaged food and restaurants

Reactions: QChawks
I am sure it impossible to avoid if you rely on prepackaged food and restaurants
Your thought process on this is quite binary.

Of course individual choices play a role, but if cane sugar is less damaging than corn syrup - which I believe studies have proven - it is absurd that the US government has effectively “picked a winner” in corn syrup leading to its inclusion in a mass amount of American food products over a less damaging alternative.

1980's food pyramid was released by goverment.

94c24cc6454526779feefed2a9fbea3f--healthy-meals-healthy-eating.jpg

But has the FDA failed? We have labels on everything. Ultimately it is up to each person to decide what goes in their body
Problem is some of the crap the FDA considers "safe" countries in the EU ban. I side with the EU in this regard....the FDA is corrupted and has conflicting interests.

$$$$$

That’s crony capitalism.
Well you're not getting rid of that by pumping more $$$ into the FDA my friend.

As long as we have a revolving door betwen private business and government agencies we're screwed.

You can apply that to defense spending or basically any other government agency.

Have to strengthen ethics laws but it's a tough road....the legistlative branch benefits from the same revolving door. We're pretty much screwed IMO.

That’s true, but the point is that crap is in almost everything so unless you only drink water and eat raw foods off the farm you will consume it. FDA should be protecting people vs increasing corporate profits. The exact foods here in USA loaded with high fructose corn syrup are made in Europe and other places without. Those same items have less calories and scientists also believe they don’t trigger your body the same way corn syrup does.

Problem is some of the crap the FDA considers "safe" countries in the EU ban. I side with the EU in this regard....the FDA is corrupted and has conflicting interests.

$$$$$

I'm not going to argue that, I'm not going to agree either because I don't know the ins/outs of how the FDA works. But does anybody pay attention to what the FDA says anyways? If it came out today and said you need to stop eating HFCS, would people stop and not get that 64 oz big gulp?

Outside of mandating health classes at the grade and high school levels, what else can be done? We're not going to be banning artificial sweeteners, and we're not going to be imposing a punitive tax on their purchase

By 2030, half of this country will be obese at the rate we are on (no exaggeration). That is a problem whose causes go well beyond artificial sweeteners

I'm not going to argue that, I'm not going to agree either because I don't know the ins/outs of how the FDA works. But does anybody pay attention to what the FDA says anyways? If it came out today and said you need to stop eating HFCS, would people stop and not get that 64 oz big gulp?

Outside of mandating health classes at the grade and high school levels, what else can be done? We're not going to be banning artificial sweeteners, and we're not going to be imposing a punitive tax on their purchase

By 2030, half of this country will be obese at the rate we are on (no exaggeration). That is a problem whose causes go well beyond artificial sweeteners

HFCS isn’t an artificial sweetener.

Maybe the FDA could just use their regulatory power to ban the use of harmful chemicals and additives in our food.....like EU nations do. They have the regulatory power to do that.... Instead of Aquicing to big pharma and the food industry.....who provides them with sweetheart jobs when they jump ship.

Reactions: torbee and B1GDeal
So they behaved with reckless d...
So they behaved with reckless indifference to the safety of others. Chips off the old block 🙄
Well, not really. The “old man” got ADM into really hot water...and it was the nephews that bailed the company out and restored some degree of integrity back to ADM. My brother just visited one of them a year or so ago...and they live a lifestyle that is truly one of “the rich and famous”....multiple homes and a fleet of Porches abs other expensive cars (always their passion).
Please excuse my musings here. Just an old man recalling some youthful memories. Al and Pete we’re good guys from my childhood.

That would only be about 80 miles per hour. I drive thar speed to work every day, and get passed by other cars.

That would only be about 80 miles per hour. I drive thar speed to work every day, and get passed by other cars.
Remember though this was in pre-interstate, no seatbelts, no airbags era. Lot different going 80 on a 2 lane road in a 1977 corvette than 80 on I-80 in a fully safety equipped Honda Odyssey 😉

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT