ADVERTISEMENT

Electoral College Experts

AreWeCross

HR All-State
May 2, 2022
Looking for insights on a hypothetical...

...It takes 270 Electoral College votes to win the election. If a No Labels ticket were on the ballot, it is conceivable no candidate reaches 270 Electoral College votes.

What happens then?

Thank you for the insights...

Does the House have to select from the candidates on the ballot? Could they pick the candidates receiving the least amount of votes?

This election cycle is totally nuts so it’ll probably end this way.
Seems unlikely to me. I don't think it's impossible that a third party candidate could peel off some votes in a way that alters the outcome in one or more individual states, but I don't see one carrying a state, which would prevent an electoral college majority.

And the vote in the House is by state, not each individual rep. Each state delegation gets one vote.
So it would most likely go to Trump with the number of Red Stares? Oh Gawd that would start riots across the country. Especially if Biden had the most electoral votes.

So it would most likely go to Trump with the number of Red Stares? Oh Gawd that would start riots across the country. Especially if Biden had the most electoral votes.
Hard to know because it would be the new Congress after the election, but I currently count 26 states with a majority of Rs in their house delegation. Two are evenly split, and some on both sides are only one over a majority. It would be pretty close most likely. I honestly don't know what happens if a state has even numbers from each party and they can't agree.

Hard to know because it would be the new Congress after the election, but I currently count 26 states with a majority of Rs in their house delegation. Two are evenly split, and some on both sides are only one over a majority. It would be pretty close most likely. I honestly don't know what happens if a state has even numbers from each party and they can't agree.
It would be a shit show, no doubt.

The last time a 3rd party made a real impact was Perot. I recall him being interviewed, in debates and media attention. That said, I was young enough that I don’t recall when he jumped into the race and how much or a threat he was if at all.

The last time a 3rd party made a real impact was Perot. I recall him being interviewed, in debates and media attention. That said, I was young enough that I don’t recall when he jumped into the race and how much or a threat he was if at all.
Pretty sure he’s blamed for Bush losing reelection to Clinton. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but he definitely had an impact.

Seems unlikely to me. I don't think it's impossible that a third party candidate could peel off some votes in a way that alters the outcome in one or more individual states, but I don't see one carrying a state, which would prevent an electoral college majority.
The dementia Olympics might open the door for a third party candidate. If it was ever gonna happen…this is the year.

...It takes 270 Electoral College votes to win the election. If a No Labels ticket were on the ballot, it is conceivable no candidate reaches 270 Electoral College votes.

What happens then?
Where is No Labels going to win?

Anyway, if it goes to the House Trump wins. Also, if you're voting for No Labels because Biden is old you're voting for Trump, might as well just vote for Trump.

He led briefly in June.

KmT3CnO.png

NC will go from evenly split to 10-4 or 11-3 GOP thanks to the chicken-shit SCOTUS.

What happens then?

No. No 3rd party will get any elector votes. All they can do is spoil a state or two against Biden, giving them to Trump.

Not in the Presidential vote…..State delegations cast 1 vote based on consensus vote by the state delegation….I think that’s how it works. Iowa gets 1 vote….Florida gets 1 vote….
No, MAINE splits their votes.

Pretty sure he’s blamed for Bush losing reelection to Clinton. Maybe I’m remembering wrong, but he definitely had an impact.

Exit polls showed Perot voters were evenly split between Clinton and Bush. But Nader definitely cost Gore the election.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I don't believe a 3rd party candidate has won a state since Teddy Roosevelt in 1912. Perot, and then Wallace were the last ones to gain more than a few % of the national vote.

The new house of representatives selects a president.
Before it gets to a contingent election, it's possible that some of the state electors could change their votes and align with one of the candidates to get them up to 270, subject to any faithless elector laws.

Reactions: artradley
Congress should amend the 14th so Arnold S former Governor of California could be President. He would beat Biden or Trump imo. And he would (mostly) unite America.

And I think he would be a fantastic President.

• Haha
Reactions: sober_teacher
HW lost to Clinton primarily because he was more focused on Iraq than the US economy. That's the genesis of Carville's famous quote, "it's the economy, stupid". Perot was certainly a factor because he recognized the economy as being bigger than waging war on Iraq.

The new house of representatives selects a president.
Correct, the new house selects the president.

Fun little story from a former colleague who was a senior campaign lawyer for Carter in the election of 1980. While the election was of course ultimately a landslide, at one point in the late afternoon, the D exit polling was suggesting that it could be incredibly close and that no candidate would receive a majority (I think a tie was the projection, or maybe they were thinking Anderson was going to take a state). Apparently a knock-down, drag-out debate ensued, with guys nearly coming to blows, regarding whether the vote count was by representative or by state. (The correct answer is the latter).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT