ADVERTISEMENT

Electoral college question

Uh, no

Populations migrate to larger cities, and those areas universally vote "Dem/moderate".
Texas is very close to flipping these days, and gerrymandering is the only tool the GOP has left in the box. They won't alter their core political stances to appeal to more voters - they clamp down on what their extreme minority wants and will continue to try and impose that on the rest of the population.
Texas is almost close to flipping in what? Blue in a Prez race? Lol.

Watch the video bud

You already pushed the "tell", that this was about "Hollywood", not about any formal campaign by Democrats.

Are you unable to understand that the RNC directly undermining democracy is entirely a different thing?

The reality is, of the 16 smallest states/jurisdictions (including those "rural" jurisdictions of DE, DC, and RI), you basically end up with an even split. At the end of the day, the "real" argument is essentially that California (once a smaller state itself) should govern us. It's fine to want a system that is "more" small-d democratic, but in the big scheme of things, I do hope you can understand how that, in its own way, can sort of trend toward the antidemocratic.
Is this sarcasm? You need to let us know. How does California have the power to "govern us'?

Maybe we should revise the electors to the county level. Each county in each state gets 1 electoral vote.

All you need is to win by 1 electoral point.

There are 3071 counties in the country... all you need is 1536 points to win... popular vote in each county wins the point.

Maybe we should revise the electors to the county level. Each county in each state gets 1 electoral vote.
So, counties with 100 people and 1000 cows get the same votes as counties with millions of people?

Uh, no

Popular vote is unbiased, and the fairest metric.

I'm not sure how a House with over 1,500 representatives would work. They wouldn't fit in the House chamber without doubling the seating on the floor and taking over the gallery - and maybe not even then. But if it could be done - shift the entire govt to a more parliamentarian system. Reduce the power of the senate to an advise and consent role with the House being able to pass legislation on its own with a 60% vote. That would give third parties power in a coalition govt.

The presidency could be a challenge since a candidate might struggle to get the requisite number of EC votes. That would throw the election to the House and, there, each state gets one vote regardless of population. Tha6t would have to change.

We need a new Constitution.
I love the idea of a new reapportionment act. It’s been nearly a century and it does not require a constitutional amendment. It is a shame that people fret over the size of a room as being a good reason to disenfranchise millions of people.

It is by far the easiest path compared to constitutional amendments.

All you need is to win by 1 electoral point.

There are 3071 counties in the country... all you need is 1536 points to win... popular vote in each county wins the point.

Need to weight that by GDP. Counties that produce more GDP get more say while the economic blackholes get less.

2021208_BrookingsMetro_TwoEconomies-Chart1Dec9-final.png

Uh, no

Populations migrate to larger cities, and those areas universally vote "Dem/moderate".
Texas is very close to flipping these days, and gerrymandering is the only tool the GOP has left in the box. They won't alter their core political stances to appeal to more voters - they clamp down on what their extreme minority wants and will continue to try and impose that on the rest of the population.

Texas and Florida are moving back to solid red. Dems are losing 13 EC votes in 2030 to red states, and will lose probably as much again in 2040. So unless the Dems can somehow flip Texas or Florida in 2040, they have have effectively no path to the POTUS.

I saw this video below and wondered if it has ever happened where the electoral college has actually not voted per the election results and the Congress implemented their own candidate. I didn’t think it was possible

Vote Kennedy. 2024

Seek mental health assistance. Shoot the GOP cut that. Best of luck.

Texas and Florida are moving back to solid red. Dems are losing 13 EC votes in 2030 to red states, and will lose probably as much again in 2040. So unless the Dems can somehow flip Texas or Florida in 2040, they have have effectively no path to the POTUS.

You're looking backwards.
Those voters are dying off. The younger voters are not voting like their parents

You
I love the idea of a new reapportionment act. It’s been nearly a century and it does not require a constitutional amendment. It is a shame that people fret over the size of a room as being a good reason to disenfranchise millions of people.

It is by far the easiest path compared to constitutional amendments.
You don’t see problems with a 1500+ person chamber and a 100 person chamber being viewed as co-equal in formulating law? A bill passes the House by 300 votes and gets derailed by a single person in the Senate? Senate numbers are set by the Constitution so raising those numbers would be far more difficult than bumping up the House. Changing the role of the Senate would be critical…and even more difficult if not impossible. And none of that fixes the problem that the basic structure of our govt sucks. The whole thing needs to be dumped and rethought.

You

You don’t see problems with a 1500+ person chamber and a 100 person chamber being viewed as co-equal in formulating law? A bill passes the House by 300 votes and gets derailed by a single person in the Senate? Senate numbers are set by the Constitution so raising those numbers would be far more difficult than bumping up the House. Changing the role of the Senate would be critical…and even more difficult if not impossible. And none of that fixes the problem that the basic structure of our govt sucks. The whole thing needs to be dumped and rethought.
Those are real issues. But smaller IMO than the current issue of unequal representation.

I guess I prefer some progress. Radical change seems impossibly far away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT