ADVERTISEMENT

Electric cars have a road trip problem, even for the secretary of energy.

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
LOL

I rode along with Granholm during her trip, eager to see firsthand how the White House intends to promote a potentially transformative initiative to the public and what kind of issues it would encounter on the road.

Granholm is in many ways the perfect person to help pitch the United States' ambitious shift to EVs. As a two-term former governor of Michigan, she helped rescue the auto industry during the 2008 global financial crisis, and she's a longtime EV enthusiast. (Her family recently switched from the Chevy Bolt to the Ford Mustang Mach-E.)

That makes her uniquely well positioned to envision the future of the auto industry and to sell the dream of what that future could look like.

But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.

Her advance team realized there weren't going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station's four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.

That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?

In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police.

The sheriff's office couldn't do anything. It's not illegal for a non-EV to claim a charging spot in Georgia. Energy Department staff scrambled to smooth over the situation, including sending other vehicles to slower chargers, until both the frustrated family and the secretary had room to charge.

I'm sure similar was said about the ICE in the early 1900's
1890s-1900s-1910s-couple-man-woman-in-horseless-carriage-automobile-speeding-by-alarmed-scared-elderly-man-in-horse-and-wagon-a7968-har001-hars-seniors-old-time-future-surprise-nostalgia-old-fashion-auto-1-wagon-style-fear-motor-vehicle-young-adult-horses-technology-safety-competition-lifestyle-speed-elder-females-married-rural-spouse-husbands-coats-luxury-transport-full-length-ladies-persons-goggles-automobile-males-risk-wheels-senior-man-transportation-duster-senior-adult-bw-partner-carriage-mammals-oldsters-oldster-turn-of-the-20th-century-and-autos-excitement-progress-innovation-by-in-2FYB7HJ.jpg

LOL

I rode along with Granholm during her trip, eager to see firsthand how the White House intends to promote a potentially transformative initiative to the public and what kind of issues it would encounter on the road.

Granholm is in many ways the perfect person to help pitch the United States' ambitious shift to EVs. As a two-term former governor of Michigan, she helped rescue the auto industry during the 2008 global financial crisis, and she's a longtime EV enthusiast. (Her family recently switched from the Chevy Bolt to the Ford Mustang Mach-E.)

That makes her uniquely well positioned to envision the future of the auto industry and to sell the dream of what that future could look like.

But between stops, Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.

Her advance team realized there weren't going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station's four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.

That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?

In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police.

The sheriff's office couldn't do anything. It's not illegal for a non-EV to claim a charging spot in Georgia. Energy Department staff scrambled to smooth over the situation, including sending other vehicles to slower chargers, until both the frustrated family and the secretary had room to charge.
So much for optics. You simply have to be smarter than that if you’re a politician or on staff. Wtf??

Doing that for optics is dumb.

That having been said it only shows that chargers need to be more widespread.

My biggest issue is that we're going to have to find places to put them that are not gas stations. Because of the ability to charge at home which people are going to be doing 90% of the time, it's going to put most gas stations out of business.

What the op needs is a vehicle that operates on methane. Just hook it up to his mouth and ass and it would run forever.

Personally, I look forward to the day all the long-distance issues surrounding EVs are resolved. My goal is to have our primary, family vehicle be an EV which will compensate for my gas-guzzling Wrangler, which spends most of its days in the drive-way.

Reactions: ping72
Oh fsu, quit pretending! Can’t you see this is another UNSOLVABLE problem for tge American engineer to solve!
If we’d just stayed in Ike’s 1950’s, life would be so much better!
You mean when teams had racist mascots like Indians? Well…some stayed racists for a lot longer than that.

My biggest issue is that we're going to have to find places to put them that are not gas stations. Because of the ability to charge at home which people are going to be doing 90% of the time, it's going to put most gas stations out of business.
This!

You mean when teams had racist mascots like Indians? Well…some stayed racists for a lot longer than that.
Yeah…..”racist mascots”……I’m sorry pony boy, I just never saw anything “racist” about the Cleveland Indians and Chief Wahoo…..just some over-sensitive folks out there……Nothing like “Redskins” or even, dare I say, “Seminoles”…..Indian is a rather generic term, “redskins” is 100% derogatory…..Seminoles….I am sure someone somewhere is offended…..but keeping their mouth shut.
But just tell me and convince yourself that “Indian” is a derogatory and racist term…..think of all the history books you are gonna have to update!

Yeah…..”racist mascots”……I’m sorry pony boy, I just never saw anything “racist” about the Cleveland Indians and Chief Wahoo…..just some over-sensitive folks out there……Nothing like “Redskins” or even, dare I say, “Seminoles”…..Indian is a rather generic term, “redskins” is 100% derogatory…..Seminoles….I am sure someone somewhere is offended…..but keeping their mouth shut.
But just tell me and convince yourself that “Indian” is a derogatory and racist term…..think of all the history books you are gonna have to update!
I guess we will ignore the drunken Sambo mascot then, eh? So funny that you DO take offense to Redskins and Seminoles though. Perfect.

I guess we will ignore the drunken Sambo mascot then, eh? So funny that you DO take offense to Redskins and Seminoles though. Perfect.
Drunken Sambo? Sambo was an African characiture……Chief Wahoo was an American Indian caricature….Redskins is an offensive term describing American Indians….pull your head out of your ass……Seminoles….I just said I am sure someone “out there” has a problem with it…..Not I…..Seminoles are just another Indian (whose fan base had to steal a “war chant” from a baseball team to be relevant). I dont think “Seminole” is offensive in the least…..Redskins however was a bridge (way) too far……

Seminoles are just another Indian (whose fan base had to steal a “war chant” from a baseball team to be relevant). I dont think “Seminole” is offensive in the least…..Redskins however was a bridge (way) too far……
No

Reactions: seminoleed
Drunken Sambo? Sambo was an African characiture……Chief Wahoo was an American Indian caricature….Redskins is an offensive term describing American Indians….pull your head out of your ass……Seminoles….I just said I am sure someone “out there” has a problem with it…..Not I…..Seminoles are just another Indian (whose fan base had to steal a “war chant” from a baseball team to be relevant). I dont think “Seminole” is offensive in the least…..Redskins however was a bridge (way) too far……

No dude, Atlanta stole the Warchant from FSU when Deion started playing there

Reactions: goldmom
You’re an uninformed idiot, but I repeat myself.

LOL

Nothing LOL about it. We are still very much on the bleeding edge of EVs. They’re not ready for me yet in my personal situation but I appreciate those who risk being on the bleeding edge. Without them our technical advancements would be slower and more expensive.

Reactions: billanole
Nothing LOL about it. We are still very much on the bleeding edge of EVs. They’re not ready for me yet in my personal situation but I appreciate those who risk being on the bleeding edge. Without them our technical advancements would be slower and more expensive.
Did you read the bolded part? Yes. Granholm’s team getting there early and holding a spot with a gas car and having the police called on them is definitely an LOL by all LOL standards. Sorry.

Why would chargers not be placed at gas stations, so peeps can go inside to pee and buy trinkets, just as they do while buying gas?
Is that part gonna change?
Why are you trying to put gas stations outta business?

Reactions: Joes Place
No dude, Atlanta stole the Warchant from FSU when Deion started playing there

I have to laugh when I hear people say that the warchant came from the Atlanta Braves. Come on....

Our songs are original unlike teams playing the jaws theme, the imperial march (darth vader's song), battle hymn of the republic (aka "glory glory to ol georgia"), or "hold that tiger" as their school cheers.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT