ADVERTISEMENT

Electric cars have a road trip problem, even for the secretary of energy.

Yeah…..”racist mascots”……I’m sorry pony boy, I just never saw anything “racist” about the Cleveland Indians and Chief Wahoo…..just some over-sensitive folks out there……Nothing like “Redskins” or even, dare I say, “Seminoles”…..Indian is a rather generic term, “redskins” is 100% derogatory…..Seminoles….I am sure someone somewhere is offended…..but keeping their mouth shut.
But just tell me and convince yourself that “Indian” is a derogatory and racist term…..think of all the history books you are gonna have to update!
But it’s the single-image stereotyping that is the problem.

If chief Osceola came out one game like he does now, then the next game dresses like a banker, then the next as a construction worker, then the next as a doctor, that would be fine.

It is the single-image portrayal that is the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
The infrastructure seems like the most significant problem EVs face, so vehicles similar to the new Lexus plug-in hybrids would seem a better bridge than a straight conversion to EV.
An owner could charge their EV at home for local trips but then have the security of gas usage for longer road trips. This type ofconversion would allow those who want to capitalize on building charging stations ( Florida Power and Light is pushing in Florida) more time to accommodate the transition to EVs.

as to the story, the idiot staffer who blocked a charger with their vehicle should be fired. If the Secretary has to wait, that could be spun as a positive for faster charging station expansion, the block of a charger turns the story into a negative

Reactions: Finance85
n
Lots of info on the google machine. I'll just drop this one where Biden is targeting these subsidies in his budget and it has little chance of success due to the GOP. Can we ass-u-me that you support Biden in this endeavor since you were skeptical they even existed?

Reactions: fsu1jreed
How about chargers in the road surface that wirelessly charge the car as it passes over while travelling down the road? Charge as you drive?

Impractical

We already have that tech; it's called "trains"

What IS practical, is developing inductive charging in parking ramps and parking spaces, and making compatible systems in EVs so they will charge anytime you're parked in one of those spaces.

Reactions: fsu1jreed and Flie
Why would chargers not be placed at gas stations, so peeps can go inside to pee and buy trinkets, just as they do while buying gas?
Is that part gonna change?
Why are you trying to put gas stations outta business?

The only gas stations that would realistically survive is the ones on the interstate where travelers will fuel up.

Your local gas stations would go out of business because people are not going to pay to charge at the gas station when they can charge at home.

So most gas stations are going to go under.

The only gas stations that would realistically survive is the ones on the interstate where travelers will fuel up.

Your local gas stations would go out of business because people are not going to pay to charge at the gas station when they can charge at home.

Gas is not the profit center at the station. It is ciggies, lottery tix, condoms, drinks, etc..
They stopped being just a gas station decades ago.

Gas is not the profit center at the station. It is ciggies, lottery tix, condoms, drinks, etc..
They stopped being just a gas station decades ago.

K but will people still go there if they don't have to get gas?

I mean if they will then great. I'm not rooting for them to go out of business that would put a lot of employees out of work. I'm just concerned that without people going there for gas, they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Most people don't live in single-family homes with garages where they can recharge every day.

Those folks, who rent or live in multi-unit complexes, will need to charge at "charging stations". Existing gas stations can likely accommodate 10-20, or more, charging vehicles on their present footprints. They can even build in solar panels for shading the area and recharging their own batteries to recharge cars. In fact, the underground tanks that used to hold fuel can be dug up and turned in to local battery storage.

Is any of that happening "overnight"? No
But that's where things will eventually be headed.

At least 20 BILLION dollars every year

Those are remarks from a Democrat Senator. That's not factual. The so-called subsidies are not payments for producing fossil fuels, they are accelerated depreciation and amortization. Related actual subsidies are for ethanol, not fossil fuels.

K but will people still go there if they don't have to get gas?

I mean if they will then great. I'm not rooting for them to go out of business that would put a lot of employees out of work. I'm just concerned that without people going there for gas, they wouldn't be able to keep their doors open.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Change is the only real constant. When the full service gas stations with a mechanic on duty converted or closed, I was kinda bummed. When the gas only places converted or mostly closed, I could see why. Making a penny or two per gallon is tough.
The concern about how and where EVs charge will get worked out. Honestly, it mostly seems much ado about a new tech that will work out the kinks.
It a’int gonna just suddenly happen there will be trial and error

Change is the only real constant. When the full service gas stations with a mechanic on duty converted or closed, I was kinda bummed. When the gas only places converted or mostly closed, I could see why. Making a penny or two per gallon is tough.
The concern about how and where EVs charge will get worked out. Honestly, it mostly seems much ado about a new tech that will work out the kinks.

No it won't happen over night it will be a 10 to 20 year process if not longer as electronic vehicles become more popular our economy will have to adapt.

But I will say it does make me slightly concerned because so much of our economy right now is tied up to ICE vehicles. Mechanics, car parts manufacturers of all sorts, the oil industry all along the supply chain. All that's threatened.

No it won't happen over night it will be a 10 to 20 year process if not longer as electronic vehicles become more popular our economy will have to adapt.

But I will say it does make me slightly concerned because so much of our economy right now is tied up to ICE vehicles. Mechanics, car parts manufacturers of all sorts, the oil industry all along the supply chain. All that's threatened.
It won’t take ten years. It is already well underway.
The speed of change will blow us all away.

I'm picking up my Model 3 tomorrow. Buying it as a commuter car which I think it's perfectly suited for....

Long trips will still be our Volvo XC60.

Reactions: billanole
They'd make much more money on recharging EVs than they do on gas fills.

And since the equivalent "$ per gallon" for electricity is around $0.20-.30, tacking on several dollars for being able to use the charging infrastructure will be easily accepted by people vs home charging rates.

The infrastructure seems like the most significant problem EVs face, so vehicles similar to the new Lexus plug-in hybrids would seem a better bridge than a straight conversion to EV.
An owner could charge their EV at home for local trips but then have the security of gas usage for longer road trips. This type ofconversion would allow those who want to capitalize on building charging stations ( Florida Power and Light is pushing in Florida) more time to accommodate the transition to EVs.

as to the story, the idiot staffer who blocked a charger with their vehicle should be fired. If the Secretary has to wait, that could be spun as a positive for faster charging station expansion, the block of a charger turns the story into a negative
This ^

There should have been a more organic transition plan.

Reactions: NoleinATL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT