ADVERTISEMENT

Elementary school cancels Halloween parade due to racial insensitivity

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017

An elementary school in Washington state canceled its annual Halloween parade for 2021 after its faculty determined that the event "marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday," according to a statement from the school.

The decision of the Racial Equity Team at Benjamin Franklin Day Elementary School was the product of five years of discussion, the school district said.

"There are numerous community and neighborhood events where students and families who wish to can celebrate Halloween," a Seattle Public Schools spokeswoman said in the statement. "Historically, the Pumpkin Parade marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday. Specifically, these students have requested to be isolated on campus while the event took place."

The decision had everything to do with protecting students of color and nothing to do with the pandemic, the statement read.

"In alliance with SPS's unwavering commitment to students of color, specifically African American males, the staff is committed to supplanting the Pumpkin Parade with more inclusive and educational opportunities during the school day," it said.
Halloween is a complicated issue for schools across the country, Benjamin Franklin Day Elementary School Principal Stanley Jaskot said.

"Yes, I agree this event marginalized our students of color. Several of our students historically opted for an alternate activity in the library while the pumpkin parade took place," Jaskot said. "This was an isolating situation and not consistent with our values of being an inclusive and safe place for all our students – especially students of color and those with a sensitivity to all the noise and excitement of the parade."

Parents were made aware of the decision on Oct. 8, and they were instructed not to allow their children to wear costumes to school, according to the report.
Costume parties may be uncomfortable for those students whose families are unable to afford a costume for them, and the noises that resonate from such events make some children upset, according to the newsletter sent to parents.

Instead of costume parties, students at the elementary school will partake in "inclusive" events, including "thematic units of study about the fall" and examining "autumnal artwork," the newsletter said.

Que sera sera
I can see this having unintended consequences.

Teacher: Hey kids…you know that great day we had planned where everyone dresses up and we all get candy and watch Halloween shows all day?

Kids: Yeah!!!!

Teacher: Well, because of the three black kids in our class, we are gonna read and do worksheets instead. Sorry. It’s the right thing to do.

Black kids: WTF? We like candy!?!?

Hmm. Times change. My grandparents didn't celebrate Thanksgiving before they immigrated to America. Or Halloween, either.
I bet many of you have forebears who did the same.

I can see this having unintended consequences.

Teacher: Hey kids…you know that great day we had planned where everyone dresses up and we all get candy and watch Halloween shows all day?

Kids: Yeah!!!!

Teacher: Well, because of the three black kids in our class, we are gonna read and do worksheets instead. Sorry. It’s the right thing to do.

Black kids: WTF? We like candy!?!?
I doubt it's "black kids". Prolly Mohammadans.

I doubt it's "black kids". Prolly Mohammadans.
Maybe but…"In alliance with SPS's unwavering commitment to students of color, specifically African American males, the staff is committed to supplanting the Pumpkin Parade with more inclusive and educational opportunities during the school day," it said.

HD and Lowe's have already gotten the message, and in a move of solidarity, have placed Christmas items in every inevitable tripping hazard that old men, soccer moms, and tanned contractors have to avoid in their daily journey to return- a measuring tape that "folded like their dick on nye on y2k", "paint that matches the rainbow of our SSE picture window of our vacay", and "that gootdamn metric mm socket that always falls down the gd cracks".

Reactions: goldmom
HD and Lowe's have already gotten the message, and in a move of solidarity, have placed Christmas items in every inevitable tripping hazard that old men, soccer moms, and tanned contractors have to avoid in their daily journey to return- a measuring tape that "folded like their dick on nye on y2k", "paint that matches the rainbow of our SSE picture window of our vacay", and "that gootdamn metric mm socket that always falls down the gd cracks".

Thanks for reminding me that I need a new outdoor display for the main peak facing the street here at Tradition Manor. We had a 9 foot lighted wreath that shit the bit last year. Need something new before all the good stuff is gone.

When I was a kid, it was killed at my school by Christian Conservatives during the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. Probably the beginning of my attraction to liberalism.
Dude, there was a satanic cult, just ask my bus driver. And the burnt out campsites, then we got a few cigs and sweet jumps. Then we snuck home with the girls and their parents wine. And then you are reading this, so SATan

This already happened in Iowa City elementary schools. Just did not make any news. I really don’t think it is a big deal.

It's not a big deal, but it's stupid.

The kids who aren't allowed to celebrate Halloween are usually Jehovah's Witnesses.

They aren't allowed to celebrate birthdays either, so that's next on the hit list.

I would love to get rid of our district’s Halloween parties. We aren’t doing a parade this year and I hope we stop doing it forever.

Why do I dislike Halloween parties? It’s a wasted day, thank goodness we make it a half day for kids and we do a teacher institute day in the PM. We canceled the parade because we’d have 500 people in our hallways at the same time, that’s too much right now.

Why do I dislike Halloween parties? It’s a wasted day, thank goodness we make it a half day for kids and we do a teacher institute day in the PM. We canceled the parade because we’d have 500 people in our hallways at the same time, that’s too much right now.

Do you consider other holiday celebrations at school to be "wasted" days?

Begs the question…does anybody truly believe anybody feels “marginalized” by Halloween? If that’s the metric we’re going by there is a wide array of holidays that would fall into that category….Christmas being numero uno.

All I know is that Halloween only meant candy time for me….and stealing my brothers “good” stuff and replacing it with the ****ing candy corn.

Of course hardly anybody is bothered by Halloween. The whole problem with sensitivity run amok is that it'll always have some hypothetical scenario, or some edge case that is offended to validate its effort. Getting that fine grained in trying to avoid any possible offense costs culture -- lessens it -- by removing stuff like this. I'm sure almost all the kids, minority or not, would've enjoyed the event.

When I was a kid, it was killed at my school by Christian Conservatives during the Satanic Panic of the 1980s. Probably the beginning of my attraction to liberalism.
And so, does this make you question your choice considering it is now doing the exact same thing that was done to you?

Reactions: The Tradition
No, the question was not "why do you dislike Halloween parties". The question was "why do you think it should be canceled for everyone?"

Reactions: HawkCapt1912
For some odd reason, @win1forthe 's comment about "wasted day" reminded me of this awesome song so I thought I'd share.

Do you consider other holiday celebrations at school to be "wasted" days?
Nope, there is something different about Halloween. I’ve been in an elementary building for 25 years and can tell you that the energy is different and the attention span is much shorter on Halloween party days compared to Holiday and Valentine parties

Reactions: gohawks50
Nope, there is something different about Halloween. I’ve been in an elementary building for 25 years and can tell you that the energy is different and the attention span is much shorter on Halloween party days compared to Holiday and Valentine parties
25 years here too. The entire week before Christmas and Valentines day are the worst.

Reactions: win1forthe
No, the question was not "why do you dislike Halloween parties". The question was "why do you think it should be canceled for
No, the question was not "why do you dislike Halloween parties". The question was "why do you think it should be canceled for everyone?"
Our district goes overboard on Halloween. In a typical year, we have parents/families come to the school for the parade. It’s a people and parking management issue. The costumes get more elaborate and I’m consistently dealing with costume questions weeks before, it’s just a pain in the behind. I couldn’t care less what other districts do. I will say, the kids love it and that’s why I haven’t pushed too hard to get rid of it altogether.

Reactions: Pinehawk
There will never be a finish line for stuff like this. Now it is on to the next thing to cancel.

There are many legitimate problems out there but Halloween isn't one of them.

Of course it isn't. That would be inconvenient for you.

By the way, what is it?
Don't know if you've ever bothered learning the word beyond the boogeyman of your Rush Limbaugh fueled nightmares, but let's look at it, shall we?...

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

...So tell me again how this fits the definition of promoting any of these? It actually more resembles this...

au·thor·i·tar·i·an·ism
/ôˌTHäriˈterēənizəm/
  1. the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom.
    • lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others.

Don't know if you've ever bothered learning the word beyond the boogeyman of your Rush Limbaugh fueled nightmares, but let's look at it, shall we?...

lib·er·al
/ˈlib(ə)rəl/
relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

...So tell me again how this fits the definition of promoting any of these? It actually more resembles this...

au·thor·i·tar·i·an·ism
/ôˌTHäriˈterēənizəm/
  1. the enforcement or advocacy of strict obedience to authority at the expense of personal freedom.
    • lack of concern for the wishes or opinions of others.

Now do "conservative"....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT