ADVERTISEMENT

Endzone view of Cade's Kid day performance; major item WRs not getting open

uihawk82

HB All-American
Gold Member
Nov 17, 2021

You be the judge but I thought he looked mobile enough and even fast enough on a couple of scrambles. 1st team Dee put some pressure on him.

I thought a lot of the pass patterns to the outside have angles in them that do no get the WR open or the WR's do not get very much separation.

Maybe they have more pass routes that threaten deep and then come back to the ball to get WRs more open.

All in all the passing game didnt look real sharp.

You be the judge but I thought he looked mobile enough and even fast enough on a couple of scrambles. 1st team Dee put some pressure on him.

I thought a lot of the pass patterns to the outside have angles in them that do no get the WR open or the WR's do not get very much separation.

Maybe they have more pass routes that threaten deep and then come back to the ball to get WRs more open.

That's shocking because the gift from God who brought us Deacon Hill and was helping Brian with the QB's is now in charge of the receiving corps.

i could have gone without seeing that. i'm even more pessimistic having viewed it. yikes.
Sorry, I hope it was more a function of Iowa's DBacks smothering the WRs and knowing what to expect.

Some of those long throws to the sideline looked like they might work pretty well and spread out the defenses we play

Granted this wasn't a complete tape but does Cade step into any throws? Everything looks back footed and all arm. (I'm not an expert)
Yeah, i thought his foot work on this throws last year was pretty bad but wrote it off as not being 100%. Doesn't seem to be much better thid year.

I saw missed reads and waiting waaaaay too long to pull the trigger on some throws.

A few instances of the defender playing with inside/outside leverage and the receiver breaking into that and not away from it.

What I didn’t see where receivers running routes on top of each other, or everything going to the sideline. The X receiver is actually running a route and not acting as a decoy with the sole purpose of creating space for the TE.

So yeah, lots to work on, but one more week of camp is a decent amount of time. They need to make the most of it!

Who is Dee?

even with all the incompletions overall the o looked fcuntional and cade seemed decisive. not sure if cade at his height can see the field properly standing in pocket

Positives: pass protection was decent at times; the running game schemes seem better; Cade looks mobile.

Negatives: none of the receivers look like they are getting any separation; even on quick out routes there was blanket coverage.

After watching that, I don’t think any fair evaluation can be made on Cade. The receivers are either that bad or the secondary is just that good. Probably the latter some but mostly the former.

I don’t know. Like others have said, not a lot of room for optimism based on that clip.

i could have gone without seeing that. i'm even more pessimistic having viewed it. yikes.
Look at it this way- the D is what we thought it would be.

There is nothing beyond the most base of all base plays at a public practice where any ton, dick or harry can play Connor Stalions.

Look at it this way- the D is what we thought it would be.

There is nothing beyond the most base of all base plays at a public practice where any ton, dick or harry can play Connor Stalions.
So, in your opinion, and I’m genuinely asking, the vanilla plays are the reason for Iowa receivers not getting separation?

Reactions: uihawk82
Did Kirk just fall in love with thr GDGD sideline out passes and decided we can’t throw anywhere else on the field ?

Those throws are legit pro throws and we don’t have pro QBs on the roster.

Slants. Curls. Cross In….

We make it so easy to defend since the sideline provides leverage

Guess we’ll see in two weeks

Did Kirk just fall in love with thr GDGD sideline out passes and decided we can’t throw anywhere else on the field ?

Those throws are legit pro throws and we don’t have pro QBs on the roster.

Slants. Curls. Cross In….

We make it so easy to defend since the sideline provides leverage

Guess we’ll see in two weeks
A better question would be is Kirk still hands on with the offense. That's the worst case scenario.

I honestly saw nothing, with the exception of one or two runnings plays, that gives me hope that the offense will be much better this year. If I didn’t know better, that looked like a freshman at QB, the receivers need to improve on actually catching the ball, and the offensive line will still be a major concern.

If there was no defense on the field, would the throws still go to the same players?

These aren’t checkdown passes. These appear to be the primary target.

I just can’t with this program anymore if we see the same inept offense. There’s no joy or fun in watching 7-3 scores - win, where Iowa breaks some 450 year old statistical record that should be impossible to achieve.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Positives: pass protection was decent at times; the running game schemes seem better; Cade looks mobile.

Negatives: none of the receivers look like they are getting any separation; even on quick out routes there was blanket coverage.

After watching that, I don’t think any fair evaluation can be made on Cade. The receivers are either that bad or the secondary is just that good. Probably the latter some but mostly the former.

I don’t know. Like others have said, not a lot of room for optimism based on that clip.
Iowa is not a destination at this time, for quality WR's. Iowa WR's seem to have a need for speed.

Not getting super worked up about practice video clips .... yet.

If the offense still looks like crap - or worse, still very predictable - and struggles mightily against Illinois St, then I will quickly be back to dogging on KF and his cluelessness about the offensive side of the game.

Despite sounding like its making excuses for them ..... looking at the schedule, its more than likely that the offense is facing their toughest test against a defense while practicing against their own teammates - until the @OSU game on 10/5.

Until 8/31 or during the ISU game the next week, its still the 'offseason' for another couple of weeks. The nail-biting and teeth gnashing can wait until then, personally.

Not shocked.

Season 5 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends

Many of those throws are just terrible. Period.

Just always laugh at the message board yo-ho's who know the play call, defensive alignment, checks on both sides of the ball, situational call by Kirk for that series and then talk about receiver separation, QB footwork, and how the offense still sucks.
You guys really should get a friggin life...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT