ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Graham next Fred Russell?

Originally posted by Quintana:
Originally posted by bhawk24bob:
Matt, do you ever wonder during games why the opponent has more talent at almost every other position than Iowa? It's because Iowa consistently reaches with its recruiting and gives out scholarships to players like Graham. Then the mouthbreathers in the Iowa fanbase actually defend these players that our dimwit coaching staff brought in
i realize that you're just trolling and i'm taking the bait, but.... you're damn right we are going to defend the kid. they are kids that want to be hawkeyes, and in my book that is more than enough to warrant my defense. i'm not going to comment on the coaches deserving the same, but the kids, especially kids that just signed their LOI, don't need to hear people like you telling them how stupid they are and how their impact will amount to nothing. go piss up a flag pole.
I'm not trolling

This kid had no other offers. He's slow and small, not a B1G contributor

Matt, do you ever wonder during games why the opponent has more talent at almost every other position than Iowa? It's because Iowa consistently reaches with its recruiting and gives out scholarships to players like Graham. Then the mouthbreathers in the Iowa fanbase actually defend these players that our dimwit coaching staff brought in
i realize that you're just trolling and i'm taking the bait, but.... you're damn right we are going to defend the kid. they are kids that want to be hawkeyes, and in my book that is more than enough to warrant my defense. i'm not going to comment on the coaches deserving the same, but the kids, especially kids that just signed their LOI, don't need to hear people like you telling them how stupid they are and how their impact will amount to nothing. go piss up a flag pole.
I'm not trolling

Well he is not slow and he is pretty much the ideal RB size so your moronic statements are both incorrect.

He is a very talented player and will likely prove you wrong.

You are a sad human being and an extremely poor example of a Hawkeye fan.

I'm not trolling

Ummm no. The kid is not slow. You have just proven to everyone that you didn't even take the time to look the player up and that you actually know nothing about him. Some Hawkeye fan you are.

I'm not trolling

im-not-always-trolling-but-when-im-not-i-am.jpg

5'9" with a 4.7+ is undersized and slow

Posted from Rivals Mobile
He ran that 4.7 when he was 15. He now runs a 4.4. And he weighs 195-200, which is not small. So.....you are either uninformed, biased simply because he's a KF recruit, or you're an ass. Or any combination of the 3. Which is it?

5'9" with a 4.7+ is undersized and slow
Try again.

Here's some more information on Graham for you. As a freshman he played for Prattville High School (7A and largest class in AL). He appeared in 6 games. In those 6 games he rushed 67 times for 641 yards (9.57 YPC) and 10 TD's.

Originally posted by SWIowahawks:
Kilroy you're an idiot. 5'9" 195 is released by the coaches. Not by sites. So it's accurate. That is more official than sights ranging in different heights. Also, I don't know how you keep being able I post here, the info above is from this site as well but you continue to say TOS.
The coaches measurments are always accurate? When Iowa players go the the NFL combine, the measurments are always off. They are usually and inch shorter and don't weigh as much as the Iowa coaches have them listed.

Originally posted by ChrisVarick:

Originally posted by ehenningsen:
Graham is an upgrade over higdon. You guys got a complete back. His film, although short, is unreal.

Very good get
Weird. Just a couple of days ago when people were reaping it Higdon was an all B10 back that had interest from Michigan, Notre Dame, and Iowa. He played against top notch big school Florida competition. I personally wasn't that impressed with his highlights because he was always running east-west and didn't show much break away speed. That was because of the high level competition it was said.

Now we have a kid that had his recruiting profile created by our moderators today. Crazy there was nothing in the system for him. His height went from 6'2 in a HUDL clip to 6'1 in his rivals profile to 5'9 from his coaches. Last year at the state track meet he ran placed fourth running a 11.41 100. That isn't in line with a 4.41 40 time. That is more in the 4.7-4.8 range. At an Atlanta testing camp his sophomore year a 40 was recorded at 4.73.

The other strange and most concerning news in my opinion is that he went from being fully qualified a month ago to Rob Howe's report that he is taking his ACT again.

In the end and in regards to the "next Fred Russell". That is not a close comparison. Fred Russell was a UM commit before prep school and had an electronically time sub 4.4.
Bullshit. Fred Russell's combine time was 4.50. He was quick, with great vision, feet and cutting ability. I looked everywhere for his times electronically or otherwise and I never saw anything that said he was a sub 4.4 runner. And you don't go through the rigors of college training and not improve your speed (see Bob Sanders) so he didn't get slower.

Russell numbers

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

Graham is an upgrade over higdon. You guys got a complete back. His film, although short, is unreal.

Very good get
Weird. Just a couple of days ago when people were reaping it Higdon was an all B10 back that had interest from Michigan, Notre Dame, and Iowa. He played against top notch big school Florida competition. I personally wasn't that impressed with his highlights because he was always running east-west and didn't show much break away speed. That was because of the high level competition it was said.

Now we have a kid that had his recruiting profile created by our moderators today. Crazy there was nothing in the system for him. His height went from 6'2 in a HUDL clip to 6'1 in his rivals profile to 5'9 from his coaches. Last year at the state track meet he ran placed fourth running a 11.41 100. That isn't in line with a 4.41 40 time. That is more in the 4.7-4.8 range. At an Atlanta testing camp his sophomore year a 40 was recorded at 4.73.

The other strange and most concerning news in my opinion is that he went from being fully qualified a month ago to Rob Howe's report that he is taking his ACT again.

In the end and in regards to the "next Fred Russell". That is not a close comparison. Fred Russell was a UM commit before prep school and had an electronically time sub 4.4.

[/B]
Bullshit. Fred Russell's combine time was 4.50.[/B] He was quick, with great vision, feet and cutting ability. I looked everywhere for his times electronically or otherwise and I never saw anything that said he was a sub 4.4 runner. And you don't go through the rigors of college training and not improve your speed (see Bob Sanders) so he didn't get slower.

Russell numbers
I call BS to your BS statement. Fred Russell was a catch out of hight school.. Was listed as a 4.28 40, which most sane people probably question. But he was promoted as a sub 4.4 guy:

Freddy is Fast!!!

Very good get

Actually, no. No it isn't in line with a 4.7-4.8 40 time range.

If you actually do the math, that means Graham averaged 1 meter every .1141 seconds. There are 36.576 meters in 40 yards. That means based off of Eric's average he can run a 40 yards dash in 4.17 seconds.

Now we all know that it's not straight math when converting a 100m dash to a 40 time. There are other variables. It takes time to get up to top speed. The average sized runner reaches top speed around 50 yards. Graham isn't an average sized runner.

If you actually watch his videos, then you can see he gets up to top speed faster than anyone on the field. He's not an average runner. I would be willing to bet that he runs a legit 4.4 - 4.5 40 yard time. I would conservatively put him around 4.48 or 4.49.

Come on Garry, You don't want to use facts, observation, and common sense do you???? No it is much better to slam a kid off of a published report when he was a freshman or sophmore. We all know that no one improves in sports. You are what your were as a 15 year old.
shock.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Mr_Galmaster:
The ink is barely dry on his LOI and he hasn't seen the field yet so why stop there? I''ll say the next Tavian Banks
I would say he is much more a Tavian, than a Freddie. Good comparison Galmaster. ;)

Originally posted by HoustonHawkeye:

Originally posted by downtown hawk redux:

Very good get

[/B]
Bullshit. Fred Russell's combine time was 4.50.[/B] He was quick, with great vision, feet and cutting ability. I looked everywhere for his times electronically or otherwise and I never saw anything that said he was a sub 4.4 runner. And you don't go through the rigors of college training and not improve your speed (see Bob Sanders) so he didn't get slower.

Russell numbers
I call BS to your BS statement. Fred Russell was a catch out of hight school.. Was listed as a 4.28 40, which most sane people probably question. But he was promoted as a sub 4.4 guy:
Oh yes, let's take the Iowa athletic site as gospel and leave out the Pro Combine numbers. Sorry, 4.28 after seeing him is ridiculous. That's sheer promotion-oriented bullsh*t. I'm not surprised you would find it there, Maybe on a good day he got under 4.5, but I'm only going on what I saw. If that time was legitimate, then he would have run something close to it at the Pro Combine. Russell's longest runs from scrimmage were 58 and 66 yards and he didn't score on either of them -- against Miami of Ohio. So you're telling me that a MAC guy caught a 4.28 guy from behind? People used to say Shonn Greene ran a sub 4-4 40 too and then he ran basically 4.56 at the combine.

I love me some Freddy, but rather than sheer straight line speed, he was shifty, elusive and quick with good vision. (All of those things I would take over straight line speed too). I would never describe him as a burner in the Rocket Ismail/Deion Sanders mold. Certainly not slow, but 4.28. LOL. So I'll stipulate that the self-promoting Iowa athletics site has that time listed. That's about all though.

As to Graham, he looks fast in his videos, (I was more impressed by his footwork, vision and balance) but if I had to guess, it's probably going to look something like 4.6. Like I said, to be a good RB I value those things I listed above more than straight line speed.

This post was edited on 2/11 2:50 PM by downtown hawk redux

(In order) The most important body parts to a RB:

1. Eyes(vision) - Especially in Iowa's blocking schemes. You have to be able to see the hole or cutback right now! You also have to be able to see and pickup the blitzer.

2. Feet(quickness)- Your eyes might be able to see it, but you have to cut on a dime and not slow down

3. Core (strength-knees to shoulder pads) - You have to be able to deliver the blow rather than take the blow. Yds after contact!

4. Hands (ball security and catching) - Cough the ball up and you will be on the sideline- Need to be a threat out of the backfield

5. Brain (Intelligence) Knowing the playbook, audibles, and blitz packages.

6. Legs (Speed) The least important, but also the one that could take you from very good to great. Turning an 8 yd gain into a 80 yd TD run.

Originally posted by Rocket98:
(In order) The most important body parts to a RB:

1. Eyes(vision) - Especially in Iowa's blocking schemes. You have to be able to see the hole or cutback right now! You also have to be able to see and pickup the blitzer.

2. Feet(quickness)- Your eyes might be able to see it, but you have to cut on a dime and not slow down

3. Core (strength-knees to shoulder pads) - You have to be able to deliver the blow rather than take the blow. Yds after contact!

4. Hands (ball security and catching) - Cough the ball up and you will be on the sideline- Need to be a threat out of the backfield

5. Brain (Intelligence) Knowing the playbook, audibles, and blitz packages.

6. Legs (Speed) The least important, but also the one that could take you from very good to great. Turning an 8 yd gain into a 80 yd TD run.
That's a good list Rocket. I mean who doesn't love speed, but it's meaningless if you don't have a good portion of these other attributes. I mean, I couldn't believe the way some people started slamming Marcus Coker because he "wasn't fast." I remember some wags who claimed they could run faster in a bash-fest thread on him. Wah, wah, he doesn't have breakaway speed. LOL. Coker had a lot of these attributes and one intangible that is missing from your list: toughness. Adam Robinson wasn't really fast. Wasn't really big. But he had heart and toughness.

Don't get me wrong, there are far more people who appreciated Coker, but how someone can't appreciate a guy who played hurt, ran for 1,400 yards and 14 TDs is well beyond me. How many of those few nutbags would have liked to have him as a senior this year?

As for Graham, Russell or skill position player, I just don't buy into times that are listed by people or coaches or handlers who are trying to get these guys scholarships. I have no doubt that Graham is fast enough to play, but what I liked were seeing a lot of those other attributes that you listed on his film. I have no idea at this point how all that will translate to Iowa, but I have a feeling this kid will compete and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he turned out to be a find.

This post was edited on 2/11 5:20 PM by downtown hawk redux

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT